Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this, but wanted to share that my 2014 Abarth( which I love) is now getting its second
Major repair of the fuel fill system. Seems the carbon canister and the discharge valve are defective. Six months ago the same parts were replaced. So, Im wondering, am I not driving this car aggressively enough, thus not allowing the system to operate, or is it just bad luck?The car has 25,500 miles on it and runs great except for this.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hmm.... hopefully they are replacing the second under warranty. Is this a dealer? What caused them to think it was the canister? Did they determine (after replacement) that the canister was defective? Usually those only get fuel in them if the owner routinely tops the tank when filling the car and/or the in-tank fails.

It is probably the 3rd item I'd check if the problem is in getting gas into the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New to this, but wanted to share that my 2014 Abarth( which I love) is now getting its second
Major repair of the fuel fill system. Seems the carbon canister and the discharge valve are defective. Six months ago the same parts were replaced. So, Im wondering, am I not driving this car aggressively enough, thus not allowing the system to operate, or is it just bad luck?The car has 25,500 miles on it and runs great except for this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Its a dealer, and the first “fix” was covered. What im hearing is the valve and canister are somehow one unit, and the valve may be the problem, yet both it and the canister have to be [email protected] $500 plus.
Im just wondering if Im not driving aggressively enough since we are usually just loafing around town. 5000 miles a year.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Aggressive driving isn't the problem. If the canister will "pass gas".... let air thru... it's usually not a problem. Once removed the old unit can be inspected to make sure it was actually saturated with fuel. As mentioned, when filling the tank, don't top it off. I've even seen people rock the car to release the air bubble and add that last half gallon in the tank, not realizing they can be facing an expensive repair. When the tank is completely filled, liquid fuel can be forced up the vent line and into the canister.

If you look back thru the threads, you'll find 2 causes people have found. There are 2 roll-over valves on the tank, one in the fuel pump, the other in the tank where the filler neck is attached. Either of these can stick but most people found fault with the filler neck. If that one sticks, gas will quickly fill the neck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brilliant! I’m expecting to see the parts when I pick up the car later this week. Wouldn’t it be logical that this is exactly the same failure as we experienced 8 months and less than 2500 miles ago.?
Whatever, Ill be sure to report the result..can’t thank you enough for the enlightenment.😎

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes, I've had problems with bad parts in the past and, since it's costing you nothing, it can't hurt.

The first thread (here) on this problem was posted in Jan 2012. I think that one was a defective filler neck, not the valve. Fiat made a lot of changes on the 2012, for later models.. Some guys found a temporary solution, for some cars. Remove the rear seat bottom and use a rubber mallet to rap the tank near the fuel pump and the tank next to where the filler neck is attached to the tank. The vibration can jiggle the valve loose... and indicate if either of those valves are sticking.. (Replacing a gas tank or fuel pump is expensive.) Apparently some fuel additives can cause those valves to stick.

There is a service bulletin on this issue. You can also check with FiatCares.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The old rubber mallet trick! Reminds me of when I had a XKE which would unexpectedly give up the ghost in the most inappropriate circumstances. The fuel pump needed a short little slap with a hammer to unstick the points.

·
Registered
895 Posts
lol Yeah... I got Lucas experience from a couple of my early cars. It's also why we carried fire extinguishers.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Brilliant! I’m expecting to see the parts when I pick up the car later this week. Wouldn’t it be logical that this is exactly the same failure as we experienced 8 months and less than 2500 miles ago.?
Whatever, Ill be sure to report the result..can’t thank you enough for the enlightenment.😎
Hello Arty,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If we can be of any assistance, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be glad to help.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The old rubber mallet trick! Reminds me of when I had a XKE which would unexpectedly give up the ghost in the most inappropriate circumstances. The fuel pump needed a short little slap with a hammer to unstick the points.
I picked the car up yesterday. It was determined that the tank needed to be replaced( second time in six months, so it was covered) and the canister was replaced as well. The dealership was really great( sunset in Sarasota) and lets hope we’re good to go. I plan on never filling the tank completely from now on just to be extra careful.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Congrats! There's a good chance there will never be another problem with it.

I don't understand why they are not replaceable. On 2002-04 GM trucks they can be replaced, but most other cars/trucks have them integrated in the tank. (A $120 part vs a $800 tank and labor is 45 minutes vs 3 to 5 hours.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts