Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are some who are concerned with fuel mileage in this little beast. Why not with gas going over $4 and probably there for a while. It was part of my decision process.

Anyway if you are fixated on MPG try this site:http://www.fuelly.com/login/join.gas

I have only fooled with it a bit but you can update your fill ups from your web phone if you like. Then you can cut and paste your fuel mileage to your signature on here and get bragging rights.

I have signed up but have not fueled up yet so I got nothing. Of course you can forget all of this and just press the button on the end of the wiper stalk and go with that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I am sure there are some who are concerned with fuel mileage in this little beast. Why not with gas going over $4 and probably there for a while. It was part of my decision process.

Anyway if you are fixated on MPG try this site:http://www.fuelly.com/login/join.gas

I have only fooled with it a bit but you can update your fill ups from your web phone if you like. Then you can cut and paste your fuel mileage to your signature on here and get bragging rights.

I have signed up but have not fueled up yet so I got nothing. Of course you can forget all of this and just press the button on the end of the wiper stalk and go with that.
This could be fun to see whom has the lead foot or not..........:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also just 'discovered' Eco Drive from Fiat. I loaded it up and stuck the memory stick in the car to see what comes up. It looks like it will be much better than 'fuelly' with a lot less work.

Not that I really care I am getting about 32 mpg. But having only driven a couple of hundred miles I doubt that it is indicative.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I just know I can get over 40 with a 1.4 L (with a manual transmission). If not I will sue Fiat.
But why? the car is rated 38 highway..........:rolleyes:

BTW I need to stop having fun with the car and get back to fuel mileage.........naw maybe not!

·
Registered
233 Posts
What type of mileage are you guys getting letting it rip? That's pretty much the only way I would drive it. If I didnb't want to have fun with the car I would buy a Honda Insight!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What type of mileage are you guys getting letting it rip? That's pretty much the only way I would drive it. If I didnb't want to have fun with the car I would buy a Honda Insight!
I get 32 mpg with only a limited test. And I am not really driving it that hard. I like to talk a good game. On the highway at a constant 77mph it gives an instant mileage readout of 32 MPG. I would guess this would improve after a few hundred miles and the engine loosens up but we shall see.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Today just to see what it would do on my way to work. The pictures tell the story. I was on cruise control about 90% from 65 to 70 mph both ways from Sacramento to Richmond via Hwy 80.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say that is probably more representative of what people will get for mileage.

And you shouldn't be taking pictures while driving. Eating, drinking, texting are all okay but no pictures:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Today just to see what it would do on my way to work. The pictures tell the story. I was on cruise control about 90% from 65 to 70 mph both ways from Sacramento to Richmond via Hwy 80.

Thoughts?
Tried to reply to this before, but didn't work. The picture quality could definitely be better, but the fuel economy is pretty solid. Although, I must admit that for this size car, and relative lack of power it's a little disappointing. The Multi-air hasn't quite delivered on the promised fuel savings. Imagine how great it would be to own a diesel version at 100hp, but with much more torque, and 55 mpg! Too bad the marketing guys are too scared to make a big push for diesel in North America.

The marketing manager in me is screaming at their timidity. It would be a ridiculously easy sell too these days. Just go out there proudly proclaiming the virtues of a fun, fast sporty car, with better then hybrid fuel economy. It's an easy play. Heck, VW's having no problems selling their diesels, which are better to drive, and more upscale than any hybrid. If it wasn't for their abysmal customer relations and reliability I would buy one. It's pretty sad that a guy turned off by VW's reputation, is willing to turn to Fiat! :eek: But, we'll keep our fingers crossed. In any case, I doubt logic has anything to do with why any of us would choose the 500.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe that MINI's Rocketman will be getting 85MPG out of a diesel with a carbon fiber body. With any smarts at all Fiat could get a jump on them and deliver diesel before they up the ante even further.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow, never heard of that concept car. I'm not sure I understand what 3+1 seating is though. The pictures made it look like there were 2 front seats and 1 (possibly 2 ) in the back. But, an 85 mpg car would definitely get people talking. All it would take to get north americans to buy diesels would be to make them available, combined with continuing increasing prices at the pumps.

Besides these Fiats wouldn't seem so small and dangerous if more people decide to downgrade their ride to something more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A 6th gear would help or a Dual gear final drive like the 79'-83' Dodge colt. It was rear wheel drive with a 4 speed. The rear Differential would change from "Power" to "Economy". i would have thought by now pick up trucks would be doing something like this or using it to with a load leveling suspension. That way it would get 30mpg on the highway when there is no load in the bed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's why they didn't offer us the diesel. There's enough power to kill you 10 times over, but people want enough to kill themselves 20 times over.
Wow, if you think this one is more than powerful enough, you must be terrified of the Abarth. Look, the hp is adequate, as is the mpg. It's just the combination of the two that is coming up a little short. The honda Fit is faster and gets equivalent mileage (lower EPA, but as tested 34 mpg in combo city/hwy). Don't get me wrong, I prefer the fiat much more, but given their european powerplants, there was the potential to offer something more revolutionary.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Tried to reply to this before, but didn't work. The picture quality could definitely be better, but the fuel economy is pretty solid. Although, I must admit that for this size car, and relative lack of power it's a little disappointing. The Multi-air hasn't quite delivered on the promised fuel savings. Imagine how great it would be to own a diesel version at 100hp, but with much more torque, and 55 mpg! Too bad the marketing guys are too scared to make a big push for diesel in North America.

The marketing manager in me is screaming at their timidity. It would be a ridiculously easy sell too these days. Just go out there proudly proclaiming the virtues of a fun, fast sporty car, with better then hybrid fuel economy. It's an easy play. Heck, VW's having no problems selling their diesels, which are better to drive, and more upscale than any hybrid. If it wasn't for their abysmal customer relations and reliability I would buy one. It's pretty sad that a guy turned off by VW's reputation, is willing to turn to Fiat! :eek: But, we'll keep our fingers crossed. In any case, I doubt logic has anything to do with why any of us would choose the 500.
kzod,

Your missing the point. Fiat wants to bring both the TwinAir and the Diesel to the good old USA. Have you ever launched a new car into the USA? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get any motor passed the EPA? Fiat did not bring the motor to the USA it was built here by Chrysler in their plant using Fiats technology that is how they got it done so quick. I would have bought a diesel hands down for mileage but I have a 235 HP rocketship (see garage) that I can drive. As a daily driver this car is nothing more than a go-kart on wheels. I'm VERY happy with Prima #241 and its 100HP 1.4 Multi-Air that is getting 32.7 in town with my foot in it more than not having fun all day.

BTW a 6 speed won't help mileage on the freeway. Final drive being the same all it does is split the gears and keeps you in the power band (less rpm drop) longer in each gear.

BTW the pictures were with my BlackBerry driving down the freeway..........:eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just completed my first 1000 miles and I am averaging 34 miles per gallon overall. Of course the speedometer is reading 2-3 % high so I would have to take 1 mpg away for this. Of course I am burning 10% ethanol so if I could get real gas it would jump up about 10%. And all of this is calculated using the car instruments rather than my GPS so there is room for error there.

On the other hand I had the time of my life burning up the roads over the coastal range from Monterey with a Citroen, RH drive Mini, Sunbeam and a Mustang. I am not sure what that is worth but it was fun.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts