Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are others annoyed by the fact that the "Range" indicator fails to indicate anything but -------, when the tank is in low fuel mode. When the data is essential more than informative, it fails to disclose! I understand that Fiat may want to avoid giving false or inaccurate info when dealing with Kms to empty, but at least let me know if it is closer to 40kms or 4!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is typical, I got the same in other cars, usually between 40-60 miles remain when they switch to a reading without specific detail such as Low, -----, or other such semi-useless information, not Fiat but all or at the very least many at fault here.
The lawyers don't want their car companies liable for the owners running out of gas because the fuel reading is not perfectly accurate...

My SRT8 has a "secret EVIC" that allows me to watch it go down pint by pint till its all gone....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Didn't realize this. It was not the case on my previous vehicle, nor so on my wife's car. Anyways, more an annoyance than anything else, especially since the car is only 2 weeks old, and I haven't learned to read the gas gauge with precision. I guess it will come with time. Today, with only 1 bar lit, i filled 35 liters in a 40 liter tank, so a little cushion i guess.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
have to admit I've not really played with the one on the 500, but the one on the smart I had would get to read 1.0gal and then go .9, .8...etc. I ran it to .5 once and filled up. it was OFF about .4 gallons....the WRONG way. only had .1 gallons left. :eek:

so I really could care less about that feature. I'll just stick with my gage and go off of that. no reason to run it really low.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Code:
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I'm thinking it's better than starting a new one.

The RANGE indicator in the EVIC is just awful. On a full tank, stopped or cruising it shows something like 650 kms, but even driving like a granny on 80-100kph highways I can get a bit above 500kms.

It is constantly showing I have much more range than I actually do.

It doesn't seem to properly calculate and adjust the reading while you drive, and at one point I had the last 3 bars left and the reading stopped at something like 80kms and didn't move for awhile until suddenly it goes to: _ _ _. Why would the range number stop counting down for like 15 minutes saying: "Hey man, you got lots of fuel." and then suddenly go to: "Yeah your guess is as good as mine, better fill up."
I get why it shows _ _ _ for legal reasons but countdown to it.

I hope there's a flash or an update to fix it cause it's pretty much useless. If I want to know my range I use the trip now like my Motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My motorcycle does the same thing and many of my analog read outs on my cars have always been the same way. The first half tank of gas would seem to last forever because the needle would stop at the 1/2 mark. Then one day, I could practically watch the needle move in real time from 1/2 down to empty. It's just the way the sensors are set up. I'd also like to see if someone came up with a flash or something to fix this on the Fiat, I'd like it to keep going as well instead of just getting ----.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Actually the ---- is shown for a while, then you get a final numerical countdown. This has only occurred with my wife driving the 500, as I won't let the gas tank get below the quarter.
I used to do that, but anymore, I never stray too far from gas stations and I don't worry about it. I'm also still getting used to the car, so I've been running the tank down to see what kind of mileage I'm realistically getting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My motorcycle does the same thing and many of my analog read outs on my cars have always been the same way. The first half tank of gas would seem to last forever because the needle would stop at the 1/2 mark. Then one day, I could practically watch the needle move in real time from 1/2 down to empty. It's just the way the sensors are set up.
I'm not talking about that, but I know what you are referring to. All the cars/bikes I have owned with analog guages do the same.

What I am talking about is essentially if an Analog gauge would should waaaay more than you really had, then at around 1/4 of a tank left the needle stopped moving for 10-20 minutes and then it turned into a giant question mark.

Both, my wifes Yaris and my Brothers Kia Rio have a Range reading that continuously counts down in a gradual and fairly accurate fashion. The Rio goes to --- when there's about 50kms left. I have taken the Yaris down to about 2kms left.
Both are useful on knowing roughly how far you can go before you need to fill up. I find the one on my Abarth to be useless.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not talking about that, but I know what you are referring to. All the cars/bikes I have owned with analog guages do the same.

What I am talking about is essentially if an Analog gauge would should waaaay more than you really had, then at around 1/4 of a tank left the needle stopped moving for 10-20 minutes and then it turned into a giant question mark.

Both, my wifes Yaris and my Brothers Kia Rio have a Range reading that continuously counts down in a gradual and fairly accurate fashion. The Rio goes to --- when there's about 50kms left. I have taken the Yaris down to about 2kms left.
Both are useful on knowing roughly how far you can go before you need to fill up. I find the one on my Abarth to be useless.
Actually the ---- is shown for a while, then you get a final numerical countdown. This has only occurred with my wife driving the 500, as I won't let the gas tank get below the quarter.
I don't understand what you mean?

I have taken the Abarth down to the last bar on the fuel gauge with the Fuel light on, and the Range said ---. I put it about 38.4 litres. So I had roughly 1.5litres left in the tank.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The range will show ---- for a while, keep driving and then it switches to give a numerical value, which I take is the final warning to get gas. I believe it counts down from approx 70km, but there is no way you'd actually get 70k, it counts down FAST!

·
Registered
400 Posts
No vehicle fuel gauge is a precision instrument. Treat it like one and you will at some time be sitting at the side of the road deciding how you are going to get some fuel. What fun is that?

·
Registered
140 Posts
No vehicle fuel gauge is a precision instrument. Treat it like one and you will at some time be sitting at the side of the road deciding how you are going to get some fuel. What fun is that?
I don't recall anyone ever saying it should be or is precise. I'm just looking for it to be slightly more useful. From the way the range display is behaving now it is very useless in telling you anything about your current range.

The range will show ---- for a while, keep driving and then it switches to give a numerical value, which I take is the final warning to get gas. I believe it counts down from approx 70km, but there is no way you'd actually get 70k, it counts down FAST!
Oh really?! Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My fuel light came on tonight for the first time and as soon as I noticed it, it said the range was 40 miles.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My idiot light came on when my range was showing 38 miles and then it went to ----. I probably drove another ten or so miles from there before I got gas and never saw anything other than ----. I'm averaging around 38 miles to the gallon, so I wasn't really too worried about it ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts