Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
My old, out-of-service Androids work!

So some friend's old backup one should work too. Or probably you could sign up for a new number & free Android somewhere like Metro or Boost & shut off service after a month. It also may work to buy an unlocked Android & don't even bother hooking it up if you can download the app via wifi.

Sorry for the delay, but I had to give the "free" Android back to Sprint, however I still have my older disconnected Android, was able to download AlfaOBD to it via my new phone's mobile wifi hotspot, & it works fine!
EDIT: Oct 27 I tried an even older (2016) disconnected phone from a service I haven't used since at least 2017, & it also works fine, HOWEVER my 2014 phone would not download the app.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
Can anyone shed any light on this, or tell us of something more indicative of SOH to look for?...:

My car shows a somewhat alarming difference between battery cell Block Voltage Sensors (1st pic. 19.45 to 23.37V) even though each individual cell is within 5 MILLIVOLTS (3896 to 3901 mV in 2nd pic, with all subsequent cells within that same range).

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Can anyone shed any light on this, or tell us of something more indicative to look for?...:

My car shows a somewhat alarming difference between battery cell Block Voltage Sensors (1st pic. 19.45 to 23.37V) even though each individual cell is within 5 MILLIVOLTS (3896 to 3901 mV in 2nd pic, with all subsequent cells within that same range).
The packs have 2 different styles of "modules" inside,

One has 5 cells, one has 6 cells. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18V-64Ah-Fiat-500e-TESTED-Solar-Lithium-Ion-Golf-Cart-battery/223583473849?hash=item340e9d10b9:g:BMkAAOSwRXRZUtfW:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!84107!US!-1

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
Whew*! THANKS IRON!

So my own batt seems okay with respect to it's low 5mV difference between cells even at only about 50% SOC, after being balanced to 100% a few times recently.

It would still be nice if we could figure out what ELSE to tell prospective buyers to check.

*I wasn't really very concerned, since I still average 1 mile per %, AND still have nearly 2 years of batt warranty left.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
Android update: Seems like pretty much any of them will work.

My 2014 LG phone wouldn't download the app via my new phone's mobile hotspot, but it downloaded fine via home wifi, & now OBD works just as well on it as all my other old LGs & my new Samsung.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
Unbalancing happened fast:

After only 9 days of not much driving or charging, my cells went from only a 5mV spread to 20mV! (4015 to 4035mV, with 75% on the gauge)

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
I just checked my records:

Oct 7 I balanced the cells to 100%, at which point there was a 9mV spread.
19 days later the spread was only 5mV.
28 days later (9 days after the 5mV spread) the spread was 20mV, & charging to 100 brought it back to 8mV.

That MIGHT be something to look for (speed of de-balancing), so I'll try to keep track of that to establish a frame of reference, HOWEVER...:

THIS might be more indicative: Every time I look, different cell numbers are the highest & lowest. Any one cell or even any 2 or 3 cells showing consistently high or low would be a bad sign. Anyone testing prior to purchase could check it before driving, charge (preferably to 100) while checking out other stuff, & check again, then check after test-driving, to make sure there are always different cell numbers at the top & bottom of the current voltage range.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,864 Posts
All those readings are extremely unreliable. I would take it to my friendly neighborhood metered charger (happens to be Greenlots, but I've seen several metered ChargePoints), preferably at low %, & charge until full. Approximate SOH (as a proportion of new) is charger kWh divided by % charged, then divided by 25.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts