Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced problems when filling their tank? You know when your tank is full, the pump handle "clicks" and stops pumping gas. Well this happens to me every half gallon or so. It takes me too long to fill and I've had this problem in every gas station that I've been to… locally or out of state. I'll be brining the car in to have it checked next week, though was hoping someone out there may have experienced it too. Can anyone shed some light here? I know this sounds crazy, but someone please HELP!

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
Not a problem here. Mine Clicks, when it full. Thats it for filling the tank.

Air pocket in the tank????? Kink in the filler.

·
Registered
116 Posts
my guess would be a kink in the vent hose or the fuel tank vent valve is stuck... either way it sounds like a trip to the "Studio" is in order.

Let us know what it turned out to be - just in case it starts happening to others too.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
i've found that just "wiggling" the fuel nozzle can make a difference in the direction of the fuel flow; not just in my 500 but other cars, it has to be at the just right angle to go full speed else the pressure sensor in the pump gets triggered too easily and shuts of the pump

sorry for any accidental bad puns! :)

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I'm with Rev on this one, if it cannot utilize the air return or whatever you call it you cannot put gas in without the air getting out, this happened to a family members car and clearing the obstruction resolved the problem, you may just have a kink or it could very well be an obstruction, in the case of my family members car it was a bunch of dirt packed in since the car isn't often driven and there are dirt dobbers creating nests which created the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TO ALL for the info. I'll mention all the possibilities to the mechanic and report back in a few days!

·
Registered
777 Posts
you could be holding the pump at an angle the car doesnt like. I used to have a dodge shadow that would click off every gallon or so unless I held the pump handle at 90 degrees from normal, counter clockwise. In case thats not clear the pump handle was at 3:00 instead of 6:00. try some differnt angles.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Has anyone experienced problems when filling their tank? You know when your tank is full, the pump handle "clicks" and stops pumping gas. Well this happens to me every half gallon or so. It takes me too long to fill and I've had this problem in every gas station that I've been to… locally or out of state. I'll be brining the car in to have it checked next week, though was hoping someone out there may have experienced it too. Can anyone shed some light here? I know this sounds crazy, but someone please HELP!
Fans of Fiats:

I have found that if you back out the nozzle a bit the nozzle will not click off. Some pumps are very sensitive. If youd feel more comfortable, you can always have it checked out by your local studio, but next time, try not putting the pump nozzle all the way in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine does the same thing..It will allow about 1 to 1.25 gallons then click. This will repeat over and over till its full or I'm feed up....

·
Registered
33 Posts
no No, NO... I have tryed at least 5 different gas stations.
Plus I've tryed the "hold it at a angle", "backing out the nozzle a bit"...
It take me 20 minutes to fill this tiny 10 gallon tank.
I call my dealer, they said they have encountered this problem and think it is a flap inside the tank.
If this is the problem, they will have to order a new tank...But they will get back to me?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
no No, NO... I have tryed at least 5 different gas stations.
Plus I've tryed the "hold it at a angle", "backing out the nozzle a bit"...
It take me 20 minutes to fill this tiny 10 gallon tank.
I call my dealer, they said they have encountered this problem and think it is a flap inside the tank.
If this is the problem, they will have to order a new tank...But they will get back to me?

I would recommend bring it in to the studio and have it diagnosed. It should not take 20 minutes to fill up any tank.. could be something wrong with the filler tube, or the tank itself. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I finally had time to take my Sport into the Studio.
They found that it has a defective gas tank.
The flap in the tank that keeps the fuel from back flowing was stuck in place.
So when filling it, it would only allow so much fuel till the filler tube was full.
Then you would have to wait till the fuel seeped by the closed flap.

The problem has been on going sine the first time I put gas in the car.
It would take 20 minutes to fill the tank, half a gallon at a time.
After 2 months, it got to the point of annoyance.

Now, this being said. I received the car with a full tank. It's not shipped that way, right?
This tells me that someone on the dealership staff filled the tank before I drove it home.

Why wouldn't this person say "Hey, it took me 20 minutes to fill the tank. Something is wrong. Let's get it checked before we sale it to the customer." ??
Just wondering if it is common practice to sell known defective vehicles?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well (just being the Devil's advocate here) since it's not shipped full, maybe the first time it was filled it flipped the flap and got shuck?

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Have you tried not using the highest stop on the pump handle. Referring to the little catches that keep the pump running automatically? There used to be three but now many self-service stations only have two, because they want you to hurry up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts