Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we know they recommend 91 octane gas, but I know I will be going back and forth between 87, 89 and 91 octane to save money. I am sure the only thing to happen with 87 octane is slightly less performance. I will probably regulate between 87 and 91 about 70% 87 and 30% 91.

Anyone else been trying 87 on their Abarths? Any problems by chance?

And I have yet to take delivery of my Abarth, but want to see who currently has one and uses different gas types, along with who you are buying it from(Shell, Sunoco, Turkey Hill, etc.)

·
Registered
582 Posts
From what I've read it's not good to jump between octanes regardless of the vehicle. In my Lounge I put 91 octane because it's recommended and I'll do the same in the Abarth.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I try to use 93 octane real gas when possible. Especially in the boats and the HD. Try pure-gas.org/ to find in your area.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
when my customers at VW ask me if they can run 87/89 when its recommended to run 91 I always tell them the same thing. They recommend 91 for a reason, you've just spent a LOT of money on a car, use whats recommended and you will thank yourself down the road. you're only saving a few dollars per fill anyways.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
Just a thought but anyone running a TURBO/SUPERCHARGER had better run at least 91 or you are looking for problems. With my Pop I put gas in for the fist time in 5 weeks of owning the car and dumped 89 in her. 91 is recommended and 87 is adequate so my thinking would be 89 is the perfect compromise. Am I way of base?

·
Registered
468 Posts
The way I look at it is if you are going to drive 15,000 miles per year at an average of 35 mpg than you are going to use about 430 gallons of gas per year. So at a conservative $0.20 price difference between regular and premium that is only $86.00 per year. That's only $1.50 ish per week. Not a big deal in a brand new car IMO...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair nuff... ha

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Closest non ethanol gas is about...45 min away. I sometimes go to that town...but not often.

·
Registered
253 Posts
From what I've read it's not good to jump between octanes regardless of the vehicle. In my Lounge I put 91 octane because it's recommended and I'll do the same in the Abarth.
Spot on RobR,
The specs that Fiat publishes are derivered using the recommended octance, in this case 91. I'll be using 94 from PetroCanada, the highest I can find in Montreal.

Many modern cars can take advantage of using a sligghtly higer octane rating than recommended, and adjusts the timing accordingly. VW does it, and I assume Fiat's engine too.

A.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The way I look at it is if you are going to drive 15,000 miles per year at an average of 35 mpg than you are going to use about 430 gallons of gas per year. So at a conservative $0.20 price difference between regular and premium that is only $86.00 per year. That's only $1.50 ish per week. Not a big deal in a brand new car IMO...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
EXACTLY! I just have to add when you down grade in octane not only do you loose power but you also loss fuel economy so you really are not gaining anything at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't believe you're quibbling over pennies on a car that gets over 25mpg. Use what's recommended and don't cheap out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm goin to use 93 with meth inject to get REAL ponies out of that engine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I came from an RX-8 that had a 60 liter tank and HAD to have premium fuel and driving it conservatively I would get about 320 Kms on a tank. Suffice it to say it doesn't matter how much premium gas costs to fill the Abarth it will always be cheaper than what I was used to even with spirited driving.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I came from an RX-8 that had a 60 liter tank and HAD to have premium fuel and driving it conservatively I would get about 320 Kms on a tank. Suffice it to say it doesn't matter how much premium gas costs to fill the Abarth it will always be cheaper than what I was used to even with spirited driving.
Same here, what a ridiculous car that RX-8 is. So good and so bad all at once.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts