Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and awaiting the arrival of the 500 I ordered 2 weeks ago. Browsing through the forum, it seems like owners are encountering a number of issues...what are the recurring problem areas to watch?

·
Registered
470 Posts
1. Misalignment of hood/bent hood hinge.
2. IPod USB cuts out when you turn lights on, bumpy road, hard acceleration.
3. Broken head light housing alignment tabs.
4. Thin spots in color coat of paint (light spots under clear coat)
5. Rattles from various loose interior items.
6. Head light alignment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for posting the list above. I am very close to moving forward with a purchase of a Pop model.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-downer, but my only concern is reliability. Over the past 20 years, I have gone back and forth between VWs and Hondas, resulting in reliable/boring Hondas and troublesome/exciting VWs. I'd like to think this FIAT is reliable/exciting, for the price point. How are others feeling about reliability?

Much thanks.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've only read reports on reliabilty from Europe and all in all, it looks to be pretty decent. The odd squeak here or there doesn't bother me. THe hood thing I'll watch out for and I'll check to make sure my rear seat bolts are tight (and any others I can readily see)

I know it's easy to get lost in the worry of making a bad $20k purchase but I'm not. The last new car I bought was a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 and within the first 3-4 months I read about a dozen or so motors falling out of the cars through the lower subframe due to weak engine mounts.

Now THAT was alarming.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for posting the list above. I am very close to moving forward with a purchase of a Pop model.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-downer, but my only concern is reliability. Over the past 20 years, I have gone back and forth between VWs and Hondas, resulting in reliable/boring Hondas and troublesome/exciting VWs. I'd like to think this FIAT is reliable/exciting, for the price point. How are others feeling about reliability?
This is something I've thought about as well. My current car is a 2003 Hyundai Accent that's had all of 2 visits to the repair shop since I've owned it (brand new). However, I tossed around the idea of getting another one but it's just not an interesting car at all. I wanted something unique and fun to drive, so I rolled the dice and got the Fiat.

That's all you can really do and hope for the best until it's been out for a few years in NA.

D.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's practically impossible to know. Sure, the car has a good reputation in Europe, but that car is being built in Poland, and is sort of different from the one sold in the Americas. A different plant, slightly different engine, different suppliers, suspension, workers that used to assemble different cars, Chrysler being involved....

If someone asked me, if I was asked, I'd bet that the car won't be as reliable as the competition (Fiesta, Mazda2, Yaris), until Chrysler has a chance to get rid of all of the bugs. So far, my own car has fingerprints inside the headlamp assembly, rattles on the dashboard and A pillars, and once I had an alarm regarding the airbags, which went away when I stopped and started the car.

I don't really care, though, as long as the car doesn't leave me stranded I'm OK. I can deal with small details like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't really care, though, as long as the car doesn't leave me stranded I'm OK. I can deal with small details like that.
This is my feeling as well.

The 500 will be my commuter car and it's sole purpose is to get me to work and back everyday. As long as it does that, I can put up with rattles and little annoyances here and there. I mean, I drive an Accent right now and it's FULL of little annoyances. Ha! ;)

A quick fix for the rattles is to turn the volume up on the radio...works every time.

D.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ive got 2800 KMS on my prima ( about 1800 miles).
No rattles for me, I havent really had or noticed anything wrong yet *knocks on wood* being a mexican made car, i will be expecting some rattles and stuff to slowly creep on, but im okay with that.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Also, the Pop does not come with a spare tire (donut).
there are pop's out there that do come with it. mine came with it. i chose a pop that had already been built. the tire added $100 to the price.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1. Misalignment of hood/bent hood hinge.
2. IPod USB cuts out when you turn lights on, bumpy road, hard acceleration.
3. Broken head light housing alignment tabs.
4. Thin spots in color coat of paint (light spots under clear coat)
5. Rattles from various loose interior items.
6. Head light alignment.
my car was built in may.

i have none of the above problems.

i do have a major complaint:

4 times already, when coming out of the store, someone has stopped me to ask me questions about the car.

it's cutting into my "me" time:cool:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I am new to the forum and awaiting the arrival of the 500 I ordered 2 weeks ago. Browsing through the forum, it seems like owners are encountering a number of issues...what are the recurring problem areas to watch?
The only problem I've had with my Pop is that a bit of rubber at the top of the drivers side window got bent when I rolled the window up, so I'm trying to let it regain its normal shape, but this has happened to me on other cars before. So I don't really consider it a big deal.

Fortunately it doesn't look like I've had any of the other problems that others have posted about (though I don't have an iPod, so I wouldn't know about any iPod issues).

Good luck with your purchase.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ok....

He is popular, the Fiat 500 and now it's confirmed also j. D. power: Fiat 500 with highest customer satisfaction! For the first time, the Fiat 500 in the category of "City" took first place at the so important to car manufacturers and customers satisfaction study by j. D. power.
J.d. power: Fiat 500 with highest customer satisfaction
"1St in German"vehicle owner satisfaction study"by j. D. power"
Three times full marks in the main rating category "Attractiveness"
Since 2002, the renowned market research firm j. D. power and Associates German driver asked how satisfied they are with their vehicle and their brand. The "vehicle owner satisfation study" (VOSS) is therefore considered as an indicator for the image of individual cars on the market. Traditionally German and Japanese models were in the past on the survey results front, the current issue of the study on customer satisfaction has made a new winner - the Fiat 500 finished in first place for the first time in the category of "City". The city car of the Italian brand, already awarded numerous design and technology prices pointed among other things, Renault Twingo, Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1 on the seats.
The Fiat 500 reached a total of 81.8 percent customer satisfaction. Performed single result was the judgment of the customers in the most important rating section "Appeal": in paragraphs here recorded performance, Interior and body, which contributed to the overall classification, 32 percent of the Fiat 500 scored each the maximum score. The innovative car much above average cut off in the maintenance costs.

The new Fiat 500 TwinAir PLUSUdo boy, Director customer services of Fiat group automobiles Germany AG, took the award for the Fiat 500 in a ceremony in the Axel Springer to House Berlin. "The victory in the customer to peace heitsstudie by j. D. power is not only a further proof of the high quality standard of Fiat 500″, said boy.""He is also a recognition of the efforts of the Fiat group automobiles, customer service and the services of the distribution partner to improve constantly."
The worldwide study by j. D. power measures customer satisfaction based on 67 attributes into four different categories, which are weighted differently. Of the vehicle appeal (performance, design, comfort, functionality) with 32 percent in the overall standings, 26 percent receive the vehicle quality and reliability, maintenance costs (fuel, insurance and service and repair costs) are taken into account with 22 percent and the satisfaction with the car houses of a brand with 20 percent. The German "vehicle ownership satisfaction study" is based on 17.158 online surveys of German wagon which have their cars for about two years and have completed in this period the average 38.700 km. "In the evaluation only vehicle models from nine categories - from the smallest up to the all-terrain vehicle - templates for which at least 50 responses made it."
Press release source and photo: Fiat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I did it. I arranged to purchase one today, a silver Pop model with the spare tire and engine block heater. I need to move some money around, so I'll be taking them a check on Monday and picking up the car.

I am really looking forward to getting this nice little machine for the very little driving that I actually do.

If there are any other folks in Pittsburgh with the 500 on this board, please drop me a line. I plan to take it to the vintage grand prix this summer.

Chris

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i have no idea how much credibility these reliability ranking have....but here it is anyway.

http://www.samar.pl/__/3/3.a/62638?locale=en_EN

SUPERMINIS
(a total of 13 models are rated in this category)
1. Toyota Aygo
2. Fiat 500
3. Peugeot 107

·
Registered
343 Posts
Some more things I've found.

Sometimes, I lose the radio completely. I need to cycle it - if it's FM or AM, I need to go to the other band and then go back. Then it starts playing again.

Also, sometimes my contact list is lost mid-drive, and nothing I do makes it go back, until I turn off and on the car.

Sounds faaar too much like Windows. Hey, come to think of it, it's Windows Mobile for Automobiles! That explains everything :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts