Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I got custom racing stripes put on my car. Twice, actually. Long story short, my dealer told their graphics guy to put on diagonal checker stripes when I asked for straight checker stripes (even though I showed her multiple times a picture of what I exactly wanted).

Anyway, when they installed the correct stripes on my car they left a lot of residue underneath the decals (looks like water when it trickles down). The dealer told me not to wash my car for at least 24 hours and keep it in the sun. Since I wasn't able to properly wash my car that week I sprayed it with waterless car wash (8 days after I got the decals done).

Today (9 days later) I thoroughly washed my car and used Griot's speed shine at the end. That's when I noticed streaks running down the sides of my car underneath the decal. They eventually disappear once the shine is removed, but reappear if I reapply the shine.

Anyone know how to remove those drip marks (I'm assuming it's some sort of glue)?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Try a glaze first. If not, very very light rub of a fine rubbing compound. Do not concentrate on the one area, use a full sweep motion across the panel or you'll eat through the paint.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Goo Gone is a natural non abrasive citrus based cleaner that removes glue and such, done as described above without concentrating on very specific areas you could use this option without damage to the paint. (This is if the suggestion above does not work)
Do this ^^ first. A lot of people don't know how to use rubbing compound properly

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is also a similar product used in the sign industry called Goof Off for removing vinyl adhesive. Much like GooGone only its more volatile. have used it on my car with no issues.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Use a glaze as I suggested. Worst case scenario, the car is extra shiny. I use Meguiars.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Although I find it VERY doubtful some things can etch the surface of the paint, wouldn't think this would be the case but if somehow it managed to mildly damage the clear-coat then you may not be cleaning without clay bars, glazes, polishing and such. Hopefully it is very superficial and will be removed relatively easily.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if this was a one time occurrence I wouldn't be so bothered, but the dealership messed up my window tint, my decals, and they left a freaking razorblade on my windshield wipers which I noticed AFTER it left scratches on my windshield.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Well, if this was a one time occurrence I wouldn't be so bothered, but the dealership messed up my window tint, my decals, and they left a freaking razorblade on my windshield wipers which I noticed AFTER it left scratches on my windshield.

That really SUCKS! Hope you can get some resolutions with cleaning or from them even IF possible.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts