Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's Superbowl Sunday.

G-Men will slap around a few Patriots and come out the winner.

ELI will finally be considered an elite QB with 2 SB wins. Both will be against the Patriots

Sports gear Helmet Sports equipment Team sport Player

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have to say, I'd be enoying this one a lot more if it wasn't two Northeast teams. I just don't have a strong affinity toward either of them. Also, Eli is finally playing well, but I want to see him do it for more than one season before I start calling him elite. He had a rather poor superbowl performance on that first go.

edit: lol, when I first saw the title of the thread I figured you were a Michigan fan cheering for Brady.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say, I'd be enoying this one a lot more if it wasn't two Northeast teams. I just don't have a strong affinity toward either of them. Also, Eli is finally playing well, but I want to see him do it for more than one season before I start calling him elite. He had a rather poor superbowl performance on that first go.

edit: lol, when I first saw the title of the thread I figured you were a Michigan fan cheering for Brady.
Let me ask you something. Is Romo an elite QB? Is Philip Rivers an elite QB? IS Vick an Elite QB? Eli has already won a Superbowl. None of them have one the big game. Eli's there for the second time, and when he wins, he will have more win than his brother.

ELITE? YES! His record proves that

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hate Brady, go Giants.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
as a Michigan grad, i have to pull for Brady, though im not a true Pats fan (im a long suffering Lions fan).

i only wish Brady had the supporting cast of receivers that Eli had (as well as defensive line).

i would agree if the Giants win, Eli will have to be considered up there with any current qb. id choose a few over him, but he's up there.

rivers had had some good teams and hasnt been able to elevate them enough. id likewise say romo has had some really talented teams and he has not come up big in enough moments.
vick will NEVER be elite. heck, he cant even stay healthy for a whole year.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you agree Romo, Vick, and Rivers aren't "elite". Yet the media speaks of them like they are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let me ask you something. Is Romo an elite QB? Is Philip Rivers an elite QB? IS Vick an Elite QB? Eli has already won a Superbowl. None of them have one the big game. Eli's there for the second time, and when he wins, he will have more win than his brother.

ELITE? YES! His record proves that
Nope, none of those guys are Elite QB's. Elite, by definition, should not include a fifth of the active starters in any given year, despite what we see on ESPN. The media does call them all elite, usually after any one of them has a big win, because it sells. I'm not singling out Eli, I'm saying I don't believe he is any more elite than most other starters. Montana was elite, Aikman was elite, Marino was elite. Speaking of Marino, the man is a walking case for why Superbowl rings are NOT the definition of an elite quarterback. Well, he and Jim Plunkett, who had 2 rings while posting a QB rating of 67.5 Hopefully Eli turns out better than Plunkett, but he has yet to put himself in the conversation with Marino.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
So you agree Romo, Vick, and Rivers aren't "elite". Yet the media speaks of them like they are.
yes i agree. they've been on talented enough teams. if they win something then maybe. one could argue about Marino never winning, but he never had any teams with significant talent.

some media talks about those guys that way, but plenty of guys dont. without ever winning, or even getting to a single superbowl, i doubt history will ever see them as elite guys.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Love watching Brady cry. I'll never get tired of it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nope, none of those guys are Elite QB's. Elite, by definition, should not include a fifth of the active starters in any given year, despite what we see on ESPN. The media does call them all elite, usually after any one of them has a big win, because it sells. I'm not singling out Eli, I'm saying I don't believe he is any more elite than most other starters. Montana was elite, Aikman was elite, Marino was elite. Speaking of Marino, the man is a walking case for why Superbowl rings are NOT the definition of an elite quarterback. Well, he and Jim Plunkett, who had 2 rings while posting a QB rating of 67.5 Hopefully Eli turns out better than Plunkett, but he has yet to put himself in the conversation with Marino.
Sorry but Marino is NOT elite. Elite players win rings. Dan Marino had 17 seasons to get a ring. He played well during the season but choked when it came to the playoffs. He needed to throw more touchdowns and less interceptions. He had his chance 17 seasons to get it right and he blew it each time. I would hardly call that 'elite'.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Football is very much a team sport, and I just don't buy into the notion that any individual is so good he can carry both offense and defense of an entire team to a higher level than every other team in the league and win the Superbowl. Elite players tend to have rings, but some real scrubs occupying bench space have rings too. I mean, outside of New York fans, most people would still take Peyton over Eli even though Eli has two rings now. And that's because Peyton has put together the better part of a decade of dominance at his position, whereas Eli has finally had his first great season. I'm hoping Eli starts catching up, but I'm not throwing the title on him until he actually does it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Eli doesn't need anybody to 'throw' a title on him..he has two rings. One more than Peyton will ever have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And yet nobody is lining up to argue that Jim Plunkett is a better QB than Peyton Manning despite also having two rings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
By the way, I should point out that I'm actually a fan of both Manning brothers, this isn't just some BS about not liking a NY player or something (I'm also not a native Texan, so that isn't contributing). I'm one of those weird people who also think there are too many players in the hall of fame. I like to pair elite status players down to the once-in-a-generation level. Maybe not quite that strict, but you get the idea. When I say I don't consider Eli elite, in my mind it has more to do with the fact that he has yet to break a bunch of passing records and redefine the position. That's what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
in my mind it has more to do with the fact that he has yet to break a bunch of passing records and redefine the position. That's what I'm looking for.
then you get into comparing eras. for example, the rules are slanted far more heavily to favor the passing game now than when marino played (or the older time guys).

passing records will keep dropping the more the league designs itself and its rules to be pass-centric. it doesnt mean the qb's are getting better.

terry bradshaw threw for barely over 50% in his career. he won 4 superbowls. today, throwing for that percentage would cause you to be holding a clipboard. but, back then defensive backs could harrass receivers all over the field.

drew brees broke marino's single season yardage mark, but no gm, former or current player or any football "expert" will ever argue drew brees in better than Marino.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts