Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry for the corny title... couldn't think of any other one to use. check out these pics for now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You beat me to it! LOL I have the "other" kit in the country. I was going to post pics this evening. Can't wait to see it installed.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
what do these kits run? Sub $1500?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
500 Madness has them for $1695.99 per kit (Front Only)

BUT, you get FREE shipping within the Continental U.S..:D:D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You beat me to it! LOL I have the "other" kit in the country. I was going to post pics this evening. Can't wait to see it installed.
:D congrats

retail is $1700

500 Madness has them for $1695.99 per kit (Front Only)

BUT, you get FREE shipping within the Continental U.S..:D:D
I"m sure if you contact them and order a few other items they may be willing to offer a discount (dont quote me though)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Am I right in guessing that the target market for this kind of thing on a 101hp car is tuners who just like to spend a lot of money to upgrade parts that don't really need upgrading, and never really put them to full use anyway?
Even if you tune the heck out of the car with new intake, exhaust, and computer, you're still only going to get near 115hp. Are the stock disc brakes really that insufficient? I mean, if you're doing track days or rally or something, then I guess every little thing helps, but for the average joe who just wants his car to perform well, don't the stock brakes stop fast enough already?
Obviously, I just don't "get" it. And my wallet thanks me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MrFlippant, I attend shows with my daily driven cars and it's just to show how we can modify our cars. Yes granted our 500's are only at 101hp, but it's also to dress your car up. it's all for fun.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another thing to consider with a BBK (definition: big brake kit) is not only the stopping power (definition: initial "bite") but also being able to brake consistently even after most stock braking systems would be higher than their optimal operating temperature.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
and it also changes the brake bias.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm all for upgrading brakes, I do agree the stock brakes arent all that powerful, even to stop a car that has 101 hp, but $1700 per end on brakes? $3400 + labour ( for us non mechanic types) thats getting close to a supercharger kit, which I'd rather have than a brembo kit. To each their own though!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dom, there are VERY few applications which would call for a 4-corner upgrade. The vast majority of the car's braking is done by the front half and doing any significant upgrade to the rear brakes can cause headaches in terms of throwing off brake-bias.

I've only had my Sport for a few days now but so far have found the brakes perfectly adequate. I'll reserve judgement until I have the car in a long-term spirited drive (on the track, canyons, etc)... In a lot of cases, people find being able to stop quicker (aka: brake later in to a turn) is even MORE advantageous than adding horsepower.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I assume the original master cylinder is up to job of supporting these? I assume there's slightly more capacity than the original, single piston jobbies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
These cars are too new to the USA market so there isn't much information about the performance limits of the stock brake system. Most 500s are bought to be used as commuters and village runabouts. The stock brakes should be more than adequate for a spirited drive through twisty canyon roads unless you've got poor technique (i.e. riding the brakes the whole time). Even for serious use on a tight, twisty race circuit a simple change of pads to a more suitable compound and new stainless steel reinforced hoses should be more than sufficient.

The Brembo GT kits look great but shouldn't really be "necessary" from a strictly performance standpoint until the power output is closer to double. Then the additional thermal capacity and brake torque of the larger rotors and calipers and may be more noticeable. However, there may be more subjective benefits such as brake pedal feel, initial bite, pedal firmness, etc. that make it worthwhile for some even at near stock power levels. Getting the brake bias dialed in may be tricky as a simple driver adjustable hydraulic bias adjuster may not be enough by itself since these cars make use of the ABS pump for advanced brake features like electronic yaw stability control and dynamic brake proportioning. It will probably take some time to get it fine tuned. You'd want to play around with different pad compounds front/rear and the bias adjustment in a safe environment such as a skidpad.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks awsome! Like you could stop on a dime and give 9 cents change. How does it feel now? I know whenever someone drives my car the first thing they do is try and put me through the windshield cause the brake pedal is so light.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts