Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NA, just not into city cars here. The small Fiat 500, in Europe is the top selling city car.

That's right.
Fiat is killing their best selling model in the US, the 500.
Go figure...

Even though it is not a huge hit by any means*with only 5370 sold last year (from a high of 47 000 back in 2012), it was their best selling model.
It was even "slightly" more popular than the 500X SUV.

An all-new*500 is supposedly a few months away, at least in Europe. (The current one is over 12 years old!)
But the first version introduced will be electric. Competing, in Europe, with the new Honda E and VW ID3.
And it might not be sold in the US, at least for a while.
The next 500 is rumored to have hidden rear doors like the previous generation Mini Clubman.
A feature that could make it more popular...

But no prototype of the next 500 has been caught yet. So it might not be ready for production soon.

It is a weird move to cancel a car before its next generation is ready. Even weirder to cancel your best selling model.
(which means they are still selling the weirdo 500L in the US.)

I have to mention that the 500 sold in the US is assembled in Mexico, not Europe.
Which could have something to do with the canceling of that model in the US.
Maybe the Mexican*factory is scheduled to build another more profitable model?

·
Registered
437 Posts
It is a shame but not shocking. I am glad I had the privilege to own the 500 and 500 Abarth as I doubt we will see the 500 in any form sold in the US. Between the love of SUV's, relative inexpensive fuel and Fiat's reputation in North America, I think the 500 and possibly the Fiat brand is "toast" here. I agree however Smark, why do away with the 500 before the 500L? Doesn't make any sense from any angle....

·
Registered
976 Posts
The 500L and 124 are on the chopping block as well... per the same rumor mills. I expected the 500 wouldn't make it into the 2019 lineup, so ran out and bought a 2018.

In the next couple months you can expect there may be a glut of left over Pop models. The automatic is currently $15,500, with an extra $2K off if you qualify for bonus savings and I suspect pricing may drop a bit more.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great deals on left overs no question, however, as nothing much has changed between my 2016 Abarth and 2019 Abarth/Pop or any other model, why bother unless someone is just looking for a newer car with full warranty?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't replace one that new, either. Although my previous had 190K miles, it would have been good for years... but I wanted a Fiat before they were no longer available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thre are very few people in the us that like small cars. They will only start to sell well if your gas goes up 3x the price it is now. The 500e is too expensive and lags behind a bit in a few things that some other brands have for the same price range. I just purchased a 500e that I plan on keeping for a long time. At least we will be able to get parts from Europe. Our cars will be more and more rare as the years go on. Almost everyone who has an e also has another car and can wait for a part. I think it will be cool to have something unique on the road.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think it's because the 500 is old, dated, gives horrible gas mileage vs the size. We all know that small car sales are not great but Fiat got hit harder than many. Fiat gave no reason for current 500 owners to buy a new one, thus they relied on new customers and that number shrank big time. It's pretty bad when Porsche can almost sell double the 911's over the 500's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it's because the 500 is old, dated, gives horrible gas mileage vs the size. We all know that small car sales are not great but Fiat got hit harder than many. Fiat gave no reason for current 500 owners to buy a new one, thus they relied on new customers and that number shrank big time. It's pretty bad when Porsche can almost sell double the 911's over the 500's.
Apples & oranges with regards to 911's in my mind. The biggest failure was FCA failed to market their product enough. If they had really capitalized on the quirkiness and the fun factor, a la VW Beetles in the 60's & 70's, they would've carved out a much larger segment of those of us that want more than just basic transportation with our basic transportation vehicles. BTW, I'm not understanding why some are bashing the mileage on these. Only had mine a short time, but I'm averaging 34.6 mpg for the 1st 1000 miles or so I've owned it, and I typically drive in sport mode and rather "enthusiastically". :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Unfortunately, taste is a fickle thing and the cute retro cars are all going by the wayside. The new Beetle is dead too. Americans, by and large drive and buy bland anonymous crap. Next time you're out on the road take a look around and count how many grey sedans you see. It's a see of Altimas, Camrys, RAV4s, CRVs etc. All grey or black.

The FIAT 500 is like this shouty bright easter egg with wheels. That's why WE love it. It has charm and character by the bushel. The average American can't handle that.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Unfortunately, taste is a fickle thing and the cute retro cars are all going by the wayside. The new Beetle is dead too. Americans, by and large drive and buy bland anonymous crap. Next time you're out on the road take a look around and count how many grey sedans you see. It's a see of Altimas, Camrys, RAV4s, CRVs etc. All grey or black.

The FIAT 500 is like this shouty bright easter egg with wheels. That's why WE love it. It has charm and character by the bushel. The average American can't handle that.
My 500, is silver. We ate breakfast this morning, at Panera bread. A sea full of SUV’s. Silver, gray, and black. Acura, Lexus, GMC, CRV, etc, in front of the place.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I would agree...to a point. And God help me if I ever am viewed as "an average American" ... lol. Sedans in general are going bye bye. I sell 7 lines of new autos and only Chrysler has a traditional large American sedan in the market anymore. Who would ever have thought that the Impala nameplate would go away? (I do suspect we will see a return of that badging in 2023 or 2024 though). Interestingly enough, the top selling colors currently are white, silver, & dark red. Gray, brighter red, blues, and some of the "shock" colors are popular as well. Black has really fallen off though.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

You can be like me and now own three discontinued cars. I have a VW Eurovan, VW Alltrack (2019 is the last year for all VW wagons) and the Abarth. Luckily, when I park the Eurovan, I can always find it. This is because I have not seen another one in my area for a few years now, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. Just look for the Silver Eurovan and it's mine. The Alltrack still has the massive roof box on it so it sticks out. Look for the only station wagon in the parking lot with a roof top box on it. The Abarth is so small it really doesn't stick out. So it's a bit of a challenge to find. My wifes company car is a Black 2018 CRV. Thus you can never find it because most likely, there are 10 other ones in the parking lot. If not that, it literally looks like a Toyota Rav4.

My Abarth and Alltrack are grey.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can be like me and now own three discontinued cars. I have a VW Eurovan, VW Alltrack (2019 is the last year for all VW wagons) and the Abarth. Luckily, when I park the Eurovan, I can always find it. This is because I have not seen another one in my area for a few years now, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. Just look for the Silver Eurovan and it's mine. The Alltrack still has the massive roof box on it so it sticks out. Look for the only station wagon in the parking lot with a roof top box on it. The Abarth is so small it really doesn't stick out. So it's a bit of a challenge to find. My wifes company car is a Black 2018 CRV. Thus you can never find it because most likely, there are 10 other ones in the parking lot. If not that, it literally looks like a Toyota Rav4.

My Abarth and Alltrack are grey.
VW might have discontinued those models. There’s still lots VW dealership to take you car in for service. We have 6 of them here. Can’t say that for Fiat dealerships. Same for my smart car. I always park my smart car, where I can find it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
lol I'm really thinking of buying a cell phone just so I can track my car.

Either that or I need to install a remote controlled weather balloon. With the Neon, I had a couple times of approaching the wrong car. (Once at the grocery store... there were 5 red Neons within 100 feet.) With the 500, it's a game of Where's Waldo every time I leave the store.

I am considering painting it a day glo color, or slap a "Starsky and Hutch" lamp atop every time I park.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A certain American President, before he was President, would manipulate the markets for profits through threats and lies and about his intentions for companies he would acquire. Perhaps Fiat is doing the same for a cash infusion. I mean, it's working on me. I plan to buy a convertible and an Abarth 500 prima della fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What?! It offers more than most small cars, not to mention it's a great driver. Fiat didn't expect astronomical sales, just a marker for other Italian vehicles.

Porsche is an altogether different animal. Entirely.

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I bought my 2012 Pop, my eyes were wide open. I was ready for the 500 to fail in NA as I drove off the lot. I bought a FIAT 500 because I love the car. It's a blast to drive. I don't need or want to drive a tank, or a mini tank, and by that I mean the many ad nauseum SUV copycats. The FIAT 500 is the perfect car for getting from here to there in style. I'll keep mine for many years to come. Parts will be available on a world wide basis, have no concerns about that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts