Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
VW might have discontinued those models. There’s still lots VW dealership to take you car in for service. We have 6 of them here. Can’t say that for Fiat dealerships. Same for my smart car. I always park my smart car, where I can find it.
The really nice thing is that for a VW we all have VCDS. Think of it this way, you can access every single system in the car and even modify it. All for a $300. For example, I changed the amount that my rear diff gets power thus it drives much more like a RWD car. Plus changed the ratio for my throttle and reduced the amount of traction control. Tp it off, mae it where the fog lights are on no matter if it's on high or low beam, the behaviour of the rear tail light, the way the sunroof operates and eliminated all nannies on the NAV system (so my wife can mess with it while I drive). Plus for the $250 I spent when I bought it, it's faster than the Abarth and I also have paddleshift extensions .

I'm thinking that it's time to sell the Abarth since Fiat is giving up and there will never be a new model for me to replace it with.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What?! It offers more than most small cars, not to mention it's a great driver. Fiat didn't expect astronomical sales, just a marker for other Italian vehicles.

Porsche is an altogether different animal. Entirely.
You'd think that a $100K niche car would never outsell a $15K car that's supposed to be for the masses.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’ve had the privilege of owning my Abarth for 7 years now(built & bought brand new in 2012-still going strong almost 60,000 miles later).” The car still brings a grin to my face when I turn the key in the ignition and listen to the exhaust burble and the Garrett turbo spooling up,ready to go. It’s saddening to hear that the 500 is being discontinued here in the States. There a number of factors that come into play here. It addition to cheap fuel and our country’s appetite for SUVs/crossovers and trucks there’s the fact that the car wasn’t marketed right(when’s the last time we saw the 500 being advertised on TV or on the radio). From the start when the 500 was introduced stateside advertising stumbled and that costed one Chrysler executive her job.

Another factor that comes into play is the fact that the car’s design is 12 years old(while cute and “classic” it’s behind the times). Cars here in the US typically are redesigned around the 5 year mark with refreshing in between. It’s like FCA focused more on refreshing other products but left the 500 as is on purpose. For a few years we were anticipating a brand new 500 but nothing came to pass(even the Smart car got redesigned).Things certainly didn’t help when Sergio Marchionne passed away unexpectedly.

Simply put, the wrong people are in charge-and it’s not the first time anything Chrysler related has been down this road-the previous time it almost killed the company(remember the so-called “merger of equals”-some of us prefer not to).

With that said I still will keep my Abarth as long as the product support and spare parts are still available.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I’ve had the privilege of owning my Abarth for 7 years now(built & bought brand new in 2012-still going strong almost 60,000 miles later).” The car still brings a grin to my face when I turn the key in the ignition and listen to the exhaust burble and the Garrett turbo spooling up,ready to go. It’s saddening to hear that the 500 is being discontinued here in the States. There a number of factors that come into play here. It addition to cheap fuel and our country’s appetite for SUVs/crossovers and trucks there’s the fact that the car wasn’t marketed right(when’s the last time we saw the 500 being advertised on TV or on the radio). From the start when the 500 was introduced stateside advertising stumbled and that costed one Chrysler executive her job.

Another factor that comes into play is the fact that the car’s design is 12 years old(while cute and “classic” it’s behind the times). Cars here in the US typically are redesigned around the 5 year mark with refreshing in between. It’s like FCA focused more on refreshing other products but left the 500 as is on purpose. For a few years we were anticipating a brand new 500 but nothing came to pass(even the Smart car got redesigned).Things certainly didn’t help when Sergio Marchionne passed away unexpectedly.

Simply put, the wrong people are in charge-and it’s not the first time anything Chrysler related has been down this road-the previous time it almost killed the company(remember the so-called “merger of equals”-some of us prefer not to).

With that said I still will keep my Abarth as long as the product support and spare parts are still available.
My sentiments exactly. Well written.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts