Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got the early version with the low-speed clunk in the steering. I understand there's a TSB with a revised part out there, and I'm finding that the revised part is currently unavailable.

I've read that a temp solution is to apply white lithium grease, and it may help for a few thousand miles. My question is, where to apply the grease? On the ujoints? Or in the tube into which the smaller shaft slides?

· Registered
1,976 Posts
So I've got the early version with the low-speed clunk in the steering. I understand there's a TSB with a revised part out there, and I'm finding that the revised part is currently unavailable.

I've read that a temp solution is to apply white lithium grease, and it may help for a few thousand miles. My question is, where to apply the grease? On the ujoints? Or in the tube into which the smaller shaft slides?
At the U-joint. With the clunk, it can still go on for many many miles. Better fix it, but it's not actually immediate concern, as in, the way it clunks actually does not seize up as such, luckily. Still, replace it at your earliest convenience (I need to do this, too, but I've been too lazy).

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like there are ujoints on both the top and bottom, I assume grease both?

Agree 100% to fix, as soon as I can get my hands on the part, although Mopar confirms there are 100+ units on backorder nationwide with no ETA. Disappointing but not surprising. I'm debating getting one from a scrapyard off a later model 500, as I understand this part was only 2012-2015.

· Registered
1,976 Posts
Looks like there are ujoints on both the top and bottom, I assume grease both?

Agree 100% to fix, as soon as I can get my hands on the part, although Mopar confirms there are 100+ units on backorder nationwide with no ETA. Disappointing but not surprising. I'm debating getting one from a scrapyard off a later model 500, as I understand this part was only 2012-2015.
I think it's the bottom one, but might as well, just grease them up. If I'm not wrong, moparonlineparts have them in stock?

· Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
191 Posts
@luxuryrules

GOOGLE (whatever your model year is) "2012 Fiat 500 Intermediate Steering Shaft" and there's lots of NEW ones available for around $180

Don't buy a used one unless you enjoy revisiting the same problem - possibly from the get go ;)

And forget about re-greasing - the clunk is only covered up for a few months/thousand miles and then it comes back.

[youtube]

HTH -

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't disagree, @fast_dave, but nobody who claims to have them in stock actually has them in stock. Twice I've tried ordering, only to get an email the next day to the effect of "oh hey, this is on backorder until [some date in the future], would you like to hold or cancel your order?" j.b., moparonlineparts was one of them, moparpartsgiant was the other one. I'm about to try suburban, but I expect the same outcome.

If anyone can refer me to someone who actually has one in stock and confirmed, I'd much appreciate.

· Registered
14,328 Posts
My 500 is 11 years old. Early 2011 built. Don’t have that issue. There are 30 of us in our Fiat club here, the same. All model years. So find a salvage one wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve never have gotten a service bulletin campaign from Fiat, about that. What year did the TSB come out.

· Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
191 Posts
@luxuryrules

Also try TASCA & mymoparparts.com

From what you wrote, it's just a matter of using GOOGLE to find online parts dealers, and then a phone call / e-mail to see if they can get it for you.

Someone out there has one collecting dust on their shelf with your name on it!

Good luck and let us know how has 'em :)

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dave. I've been googling parts companies. I'm curious why your posts always show google in all caps, is that intentional? Same answer every time but I'll keep trying. I think you're right - the only hope at the moment is someone with a dusty one on a shelf. I have spoken with someone at Mopar (not the dealers or parts companies, but actually direct with Mopar) who was able to confirm that all of the Mopar warehouses are out of the part. I assure you, it's not for lack of trying that I can't find this thing. I've now got inquiries out with 4 different vendors who are "checking and will get back with me" and I'm sure I will end up on all their email marketing lists now too. :rolleyes:

Smark, TSB 19-002-15 was issued relating to "Applies to vehicles built on or after January 1, 2012 (MDH 0101XX) and on or before March 24, 2015 (MDH 0324XX)." You are correct, there are several revisions of the part, 68105066AF is the current revision. From what I can tell, the TSB indicates revision AE or higher (the last two characters show the revision) are the parts which are the improved design to fix the clunking.

· Registered
14,328 Posts
Luxuryrules,for the info. That’s really strange that my build date, the summer of 2011 500. Wasn’t affected. I wonder, if they changed parts vendors. I got a lot weird recall campaigns, on my early built 500. Not that one. Recalls on lug wrench, rear washer nozzles, reverse lights, OBD port cover. Transmission linkage cable.

· Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
191 Posts
FYI, apparently, the part is back in stock now at the mopar. I just got a shipping notification.
Congrats for your successful footwork & feel the need :cool:

Glasses Smile Photograph Vision care Vertebrate

· Registered
1,976 Posts
Cool! Did you have the wheel dead center, or turned one way or another?
That really doesn't matter in terms of the shaft alignment, as it technically can only go in one way. But to access the bolts, it was slightly off to left from the dead center. But then, I had to wiggle the wheel to get the best access to the bolts anyway. I assume that you googled the process, so you probably are aware that all you have to do to access the intermediate shaft is to undo the battery and remove the knee airbag, that's all. One attaches to the electronic power steering module (the upper u-joint) you have to do it blind, but there's more than enough room to put the regular socket on the bolt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts