Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
"remove the knee airbag" How so? Mechanically unbolt for better access otherwise the knee bag blows?

· Registered
1,973 Posts
"remove the knee airbag" How so? Mechanically unbolt for better access otherwise the knee bag blows?
Haha, no, nothing that dramatic. The knee airbag is right in front of the area for access to the upper part of the intermediate shaft. So you just remove a couple of bolts and you can pull the airbag unit out, and disconnect the plug, and you can get your hand into where it needs.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Finally got my part this week. Your info was great - wheel slightly off center to get access to both bolts.

I notice on my original part it used a 17mm at the bottom, while the replacement used 13mm at both ends, although the shaft of the pinch bolt at the bottom end was wider. Torque spec of 40 ft/lb seemed reasonable but I cranked more than I thought I should have - I actually put one of the old bolts in the old shaft on my workbench and discovered I broke the bolt before getting to the proper torque, so I actually wonder if my torque wrench is on the fritz.

Anyways, all buttoned up and drives nicer with no clunk now.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts