Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video of the Toluca, Mexico assembly plant as it stamps, assembles, and tests our 500's that are shipped to north america...

FYI our cars are built alongside the Dodge Journey SUV's.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I can certainly see how some of the reported warped panels we have seen on this forum happened with the hand sanders and the thin metal. Good video though.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Jellybean factory!:D

·
Registered
700 Posts
all that technology and its right here in the USA....oops scratch that Mexico.... Because of what labor costs...Union contracts....i guess this is how a corporation gets out of the hole...

awesome video i never knew so much has changed versus the old lines my grandpa was a 50 year GM employee who use to tell me stories of how each car was hand made by hundreds of employees he saw each year how technology changed and how fewer and fewer employees would be needed....its amazing those robots save humans so much of the hard work and labor of lifting...precision welds watching it again......only thing missing is the breaking of the wine bottle
as it roles off the line......

·
Registered
700 Posts
Also please note...that all Fiat 500's start their life as Grigio's...so there is a little Grigio in all of them......So its the birth color...........remember this

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
all that technology and its right here in the USA....oops scratch that Mexico.... Because of what labor costs...Union contracts....i guess this is how a corporation gets out of the hole...

awesome video i never knew so much has changed versus the old lines my grandpa was a 50 year GM employee who use to tell me stories of how each car was hand made by hundreds of employees he saw each year how technology changed and how fewer and fewer employees would be needed....its amazing those robots save humans so much of the hard work and labor of lifting...precision welds watching it again......only thing missing is the breaking of the wine bottle
Don't forget government taxes and regulations that make everything else pale in comparison;).

·
Registered
376 Posts

Yes, the robots are very amazing and save a lot of hard work. Many humans would be willing to do that hard work though, so they could feed and house their family's. I'm not against progress but we need some sort of balance to. A factory that's mostly full of machines scares the **** out of me. I'm glad the factory I work in still has a lot of humans. Even if they do have some flaws and can't work 24 hours a day.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow, been in the automotive repair business a long time, but it always impresses me how the assembly of an auto is so presice. The flip side is one robot's setting is off or assembly person has an off day and you can wind up with a brand new lemon. Still very impressive to watch.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the robots are very amazing and save a lot of hard work. Many humans would be willing to do that hard work though, so they could feed and house their family's. I'm not against progress but we need some sort of balance to. A factory that's mostly full of machines scares the **** out of me. I'm glad the factory I work in still has a lot of humans. Even if they do have some flaws and can't work 24 hours a day.

I share your sentiment, stig. At the end of the day, when all the cars are built shipped and sold, only a small part of that revenue generated from selling those cars goes back into the economy compared to if you had more people actually doing the work. I am all for technological progress, but I think too, we are on the wrong side of the bell curve when it comes to making jobs.

Robots don't buy cars. Employees do.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Seemed like the scene where the rear hatch was mounted they bounced it off the left side before they got it centered. Also they were mounting door components with battery powered drivers which weaken over time. The only comparison I can make is the Corvette factory which is more hand built...the small tools are connected to power and computers that measure the torque and will stop the process if not applied properly.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Wow, been in the automotive repair business a long time, but it always impresses me how the assembly of an auto is so presice. The flip side is one robot's setting is off or assembly person has an off day and you can wind up with a brand new lemon. Still very impressive to watch.
This is true. The MINI was stopped in mid production because of "Christmas break" and then resumed after the holidays. It turned out to be the biggest POS I ever owned.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A fun video! I just found it on Youtube after searching out something similar... and figured I'd search here before posting it. Ha ha!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts