Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the car two days now and I'm SWOONINGLY in love with it, I can't SHUT UP about it, and keep finding excuses to drive!

He looks like a little grey mouse. I couldn't decide if he was Templeton from Charlotte's Web or Reepicheep from Narnia. So I figure he's BOTH!

Reepleton and I are tearing up the West side! And hello, all!

·
Registered
393 Posts
welcome ,

If you can't shut up about your 500, you've come to the right place to talk about it :)
It's good to see you love the Fiat 500! Do you plan on modifying it in the future?

post pic if you have

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't agree more than the person who is SWOONINGLY in love with his new 500. I got mine a wk ago Thursday and just turned 1000 miles on it. Driving from Lake George NY to north Jersey I used only 6 gallons of gas (38.1mpg at 75-80mph on the NY Thruway). I have a Sport also in Grizio. I had put in the rubber trunk floor protector, the rear bumper protector (after market) to keep the bumper from getting scratched up when putting my ski boots in and out; I have coming in this wk the hitch so I can put my Thule bike rack with ski rack adaptor on it.

If anyone is needing to put skis on a 500 - here is what you NEED to know:
1) If you have a hard top you can put the Thule roof rack on with the ski adaptor. If you have a sunroof or convertible you CANNOT put the roof rack on. I spoke to Thule about it, and although it should fit on with my sunroof their manuals say to not due it - they said it "could be" a structural issue
2) If you have the Sport you have the rear-spoiler so you CANNOT put in the removable rear window mount.
3) If you have a Sport with the rear-spoiler OR have a sunroof or convertible - here is your ONLY option to put skis or a bike on the car:
You MUST put in the hitch/receiver (it is not a trailer hitch, but looks like one, the car is not made to toe with it).
You than need to put on the Thule 912XT bike rack - BUT - this rack is DISCONTINUED, but, it is the only Thule rack right now
that is compatible with the ski-rack adaptor. The new Thule rack, the Apex 2, will work for bikes but the ski-rack adaptor is not
on the market as yet, should be by the end of the year. So you need to call around and find who has the 912XT still in stock. I got one
from RamseyOutdoor.com - their local store had 1 left and gave it to me for about 45% off ($130, retail is $209).
Once you have the 912XT then you add the 987XT which is a ski/snowboard mount that goes over the 912XT bike rack.

If you plan on putting skis on soon, they find the 912XT bike rack before they are sold out everyplace. The 987XT ski adaptor is not a problem finding. If you don't mind waiting until the end of 2012 to put your skis on then you can get the Apex 2 bike rack and wait for the ski adaptor be released by Thule.

I drove on packed snow with the factory tires and it did great; I drove in 3" of soft powder snow and it was NO GOOD - I put on 4 Pirelli snow tires (found them at TireRack.com for $78/each, got them mounted for $20/each) - now it is a tiger on the snow, and mileage went up a little bit.

I bought this to keep miles off my 8 passenger Honda Pilot that has 38,000 miles on it in 17 months (my lease is saying OUCH), so now I don't run around town at 18mpg on a leased vehicle w/limited miles; and when going skiing myself or with just 1 other I can take the 500. Perfect, I do 500 miles/weekend to ski every weekend (NJ to the Adirondacks in NY State).

This is one of the most fun cars I've driven in a long time, and as the other poster said, I look for excuses to go for a ride, it is that much fun to drive.
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts