Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time members probably remember that there there were several mention of parking brake sticking on our cars. Rust from sitting does it obviously, and there were some cases of the caliper itself, I recall. Mine was the cable. It's been doing that for a bit, the handbrake lever doesn't quite go back down to where it should be, not quite enough for the brake to drag, but enough that it doesn't fully release it and occasionally the brake warning light would come on. The cable has two sheathings, outer one and inner one in which the cable slides. The inner sheathing broke loose from the clip at the end, and now it was jamming the cable, making it harder to retract. This apparently isn't all that uncommon of an issue on certain Fiat and Alfa according to a friend in Europe. The only cure is replacing it, and here's the story gets funny - Mopar has two different ones at two different prices. One is listed for 2012-2014 (4581515AB), and the other, 2013-2019 (68106171AC) (both driver's side, by the way). I can hardly make sense of it, but just in case this may be helpful to some, there you have it.

·
Registered
2013 Pop, manual, Abarth springs, kyb gas a just rear, zonker short shot air filter, Sprint booster
136 Posts
So what year your car and which did you install? Mine is 2013 and I've found all the 500 handbrake does not go down solidly like every other car. .seems to have bit of resistance or cushioning near as it finally stops and then is a bit floppy and not tight. Sometimes i have left it up a bit and drove away a few time. Just gotta remember.to push it down all the way in my case and doesn't seems to get worse.atm

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what year your car and which did you install? Mine is 2013 and I've found all the 500 handbrake does not go down solidly like every other car. .seems to have bit of resistance or cushioning near as it finally stops and then is a bit floppy and not tight. Sometimes i have left it up a bit and drove away a few time. Just gotta remember.to push it down all the way in my case and doesn't seems to get worse.atm
The cable tension is adjustable. It's pretty self-explanatory once you remove the center trim surrounding the handbrake lever. To remove it, you remove the rear cup holder liner, and then remove, I think 10mm nut. Lift the front bit as you pull the trim back a bit to free the clip.

The cable I bought, which hasn't come yet, is the one for 2012-14, which was like $10 cheaper. Mine actually occasionally dragged on the driver's side, and even a tiny bit, you'd notice if it drags.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts