Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a problem with my handbrake light. While driving, I hear a beep and it is the parking brake light saying the handbrake is engaged and it will continue to stay on for a few seconds or even minutes. I went to the dealership and they replaced the handbrake sensor. It has been 2 weeks and the problem has reemerged. I noticed if the weather is hot and if the steering wheel is at a certain point, it will engage. During the late evening when the environment is cool, I notice that the problem is not there. Before I take it to the dealership on Monday, I wanted to see if anyone has heard or experienced this problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
Haven't had that issue. Most likely a short. Good idea, take it back in for warranty. Very strange, the steering wheel affects it.:confused:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I recently had a problem with my handbrake light. While driving, I hear a beep and it is the parking brake light saying the handbrake is engaged and it will continue to stay on for a few seconds or even minutes. I went to the dealership and they replaced the handbrake sensor. It has been 2 weeks and the problem has reemerged. I noticed if the weather is hot and if the steering wheel is at a certain point, it will engage. During the late evening when the environment is cool, I notice that the problem is not there. Before I take it to the dealership on Monday, I wanted to see if anyone has heard or experienced this problem? Thanks in advance.
Yep, mine used to do that and I fixed it myself. Here goes - pull the rear cup holder out of it's place and put aside. Next - use a 10mm socket with an extension to loosen the nut down in the cup holder spot & leeve the nut in the bottom. Next - grasp the plastic piece that surrounds the handbrake lever and pull back toward the rear of the car. It will disengage from the front piece and slide up and back along the handbrake lever. Next - take a utillity knife or some sissors and trim the front bottom of the rubber around the handbrake lever. Don't trim too much at first. After trimming some - slide the plastic back into place and check to see if the handbrake lever goes all the way down yet. If it still doesn't go all the way down pull the plastic piece back again and trim some more. Keep doing this untill the lever goes all the way down when you press the button and let it off. Before you put the plastic piece back into place, take a little white lithium grease and rub some on the fingers that engage with the front piece. It will help you with the going back and forth untill the task is completed. If you do this right, you won't notice any difference from the top when everything is back together. The studio will stumble around forever with the switch and everything else instead of making this simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Only time I noticed this is when I was right before fully down which with mine at least it is easy to want to stop just shy of full down. Sounds like what 500spot suggests would be an easy enough thing to give it a shot at least, even if in your situation it does not work it is certainly worth a try.

Good luck and thanks to 500spot for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
this is what your rubber should look like after you trim it
[/IMG]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello 500spot. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. I thought my topic was dead. I will give it a shot. I have narrowed it down to when it occurs. When the car is in motion, bearing left will trigger the response. If it is hot, the it will most likely trigger the light. If i am slanted on a hill going down or up hill, it will trigger the light. Any thoughts in addition to this new info?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
No, if you trim the rubber, the handle will go all the way down and you will not get any more errors. After you have done it, no one can tell it's been trimmed unless you take it apart and look at it. You cannot tell it's been trimmed from the cabin. If I am wrong, you will be able to push down on the handle when you get a light and it will stop. If you get a light and you can't push the handle down, then the problem is the switch needs adjusting. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The switch was changed, the rubber was trimmed, and it is worse than ever. When the wheel is in the left position (while the car is in motion), the light will always light up saying my handbrake is on (when it is not). When the road is bumpy, the normal position of the wheel is affected as well. I unplugged the sensor for the brake fluid and driven around. The light will constantly stay on but the handbrake buzzer will kick in as soon as I turn left. ISs there anything on the wheels that would play a part of it? Any thoughts of what it can be?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
did you try driving around with the cover off the hand brake mechanism to see if there is something binding? It sounds like a linkage there in the cabin is binding and causing the brake light to come on. You could try that and also check by rotor temp to see if the brake is actually dragging on one side or the other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts