Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little searching before posting this question. I found an older thread on the topic. If there is a newer one that I didn't find, I apologize. In that thread I read that it is nearly impossible to buy a battery for a 500e. My questions:

1. Have you or someone you know personally owned a FIAT 500e while the battery was replaced?

2. If yes, how much did the replacement cost?

3. Have you or someone you know personally been the lessee of a FIAT 500e while the battery was replaced?

4. If yes, do you know how much the replacement cost?

5. To anyone, is there a way for a private party to buy a new battery for a 500e? If so, how much do they cost and where can you get one?

6. Has anyone ever bought a used 500e battery to replace a bad one? What did it cost?

·
Registered
734 Posts
The 12-volt battery, or the EV system batteries?

12-volt battery is easy.

For the EV system, considering you can buy a used 500e for $4k - $8k, I think that's your answer.
Just replace the whole car if these batteries fail.

But I've not read of the EV system batteries needing replacement on any 500e.
And I don't believe EV battery replacement is widespread at any rate, for any make/model.

BTW - there's no cost to the consumer even if the EV batteries failed and needed replacement under a lease.
They come with an 8-year, 100K-mile warranty, far beyond what any sane person would lease the car for.

Even if purchased, these cars haven't been for sale for 8 years, and it's doubtful many people (or anyone ) has been able to each 100k miles yet, as the range on the car would make that pretty tough, methinks.

Is there a reason why you're asking the same question several different ways?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see someone selling a slightly damaged, used, battery pack out of a wrecked one on eBay. Last I looked they want $4-5k. Gee a whole working car goes for that and yes the batt has a 8yr/100k mi warranty. So we aren't there yet in the experience to have any cases of replacement I'd wager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
I recall seeing photos here a long while back of a warranty replacement of the main battery pack. $4k for a use battery pack in perfect condition is WAY too high...

·
Registered
380 Posts
...and then there is the data point from the world of Fiat math.

A new propulsion battery from the factory has a list price of what folks? IIRC it was close to $30,000? LOL.

At current pricing for used, perfect 500e's, I think that CAR REPLACEMENT is the risk. Its a $32k car that you can get for $6k. There is a reason for that. That reason? Risk. Most of that is perceived risk and not real, but it is risk.

I wouldn't worry about the battery. I have not seen on any of the forums anyone who had their car exhibit confirmable degradation over time. Not yet, anyway. RNDUDE is the test monkey we keep checking in with here. He seems delighted with his car and he drives it A LOT. He is a rare exception to the "leasing is better" rule so far. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
"test monkey"? OK, I'm not really offended.

Yep, I gambled and purchased, because I knew I would be rolling a LOT of miles, an I also wanted to modify the car to my tastes, both are problematic with a lease. Currently I am at 55k+ miles with very little noticeable battery charge capacity. The very best thing I did to the car was lower it, add a rear sway bar and Koni rear shocks, and add 17" wheels and Michelin tires. That did hurt my range a bit but it was well worth it in stability at speed, as I drive the freeways as fast as possible, 75mph in the carpool lane is my preferred speed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There have been a few cases posted in the forums where a 500e had an electrical problem, and Fiat chose to fix it by replacing the entire battery pack under warranty (probably not necessary but they don't know how to diagnose the exact problem). The parts catalog lists the MSRP of the battery pack as $11.6K:
https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen/C1111#/productDetails/10474355/258759941

In this article, someone wrote in the comments section that he worked on the 500e battery management system. He says 500e production is winding down and they already stopped making batteries:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/03/fiat-500e-cheapest-car/#comment-9031673

·
Registered
857 Posts
There have been a few cases posted in the forums where a 500e had an electrical problem, and Fiat chose to fix it by replacing the entire battery pack under warranty (probably not necessary but they don't know how to diagnose the exact problem). The parts catalog lists the MSRP of the battery pack as $11.6K:
https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen/C1111#/productDetails/10474355/258759941

In this article, someone wrote in the comments section that he worked on the 500e battery management system. He says 500e production is winding down and they already stopped making batteries:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/03/fiat The guy you are referring to is known as "DrunkMike" and he fails to cite any documentation to back up his claim. That and new 500e's continue to land on dealer lots....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pretty sure you'd see "Bosch" etched onto the battery management module circuit board. Possible that "DrunkMike" worked for them, but wouldn't bet on it.

Lithium EV packs are proving to have a nice long life. Even when depleted enough to need replacement in EVs, there's actually a market for the used cells in industry (power backup, solar storage, etc).

Battery packs won't be the thing that kills off a used 500e years from now. Other critical parts will likely be harder to refurbish or reproduce. Things like functioning board-level electronics and 500e-specific collision repair parts. Just couldn't imagine any interest whatsoever by aftermarket suppliers either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the useful information. I am thinking about buying a used 500e for my fiance. I have an aversion to consumer debt, which leasing is a form of in my opinion. If I buy a 2013 for $6K, and we keep it for three years, and it's worth even $2K at the end, it would appear that we are money ahead vs. putting $4K down on a lease and even paying $49/month. Plus, if I buy one for $6K maybe we will only get liability insurance, which would also save a little. But if I have to pay $2-4K for a used battery somewhere along the way, that would be a game changer. I realize that leasing insulates you from that risk.

I drove a 2013 with 25K miles on it. It was like new inside and out. Then again, I'm not a new car buyer so maybe it wasn't :)

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Thanks for all the useful information. I am thinking about buying a used 500e for my fiance. I have an aversion to consumer debt, which leasing is a form of in my opinion. If I buy a 2013 for $6K, and we keep it for three years, and it's worth even $2K at the end, it would appear that we are money ahead vs. putting $4K down on a lease and even paying $49/month. Plus, if I buy one for $6K maybe we will only get liability insurance, which would also save a little. But if I have to pay $2-4K for a used battery somewhere along the way, that would be a game changer. I realize that leasing insulates you from that risk.

I drove a 2013 with 25K miles on it. It was like new inside and out. Then again, I'm not a new car buyer so maybe it wasn't :)
Don't count on it.

In three years you might have to pay someone to take it away for all the reasons MultiAir stated.

Tedolph

·
Registered
31 Posts
So 55k mi is the high end for
Mileage? Ok I have a target now. ;). I'm at 30k, doing 20k a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
The guy you are referring to is known as "DrunkMike" and he fails to cite any documentation to back up his claim. That and new 500e's continue to land on dealer lots....
just an FYI I spoke with someone who works for one of the wiring harness suppliers for the 500e and they are done building harnesses at the end of the month. He also stated 500e production is done in August.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Do you think Marchionne will take all the returned 500e's at lease end and send them to the crusher, like GM did with the EV-1?

Tedolph

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just had the high voltage battery replaced at Santa Monica fiat (light on dash illuminated that there was a charging issue).

Took about 4 weeks to get the battery in stock and install. They tailor the battery to assure it is compatible with VIN number of vehicle. They gave use a loaner 500XL for entire time. Car is a 2015 with only 3500 miles (bought in Dec 2016 as a lease return).

Service was under warranty (no charge for anything including loaner). Shop told me cost of new battery is about $25k.

Car works great now after 1 month.

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
We just had the high voltage battery replaced at Santa Monica fiat (light on dash illuminated that there was a charging issue).

Took about 4 weeks to get the battery in stock and install. They tailor the battery to assure it is compatible with VIN number of vehicle. They gave use a loaner 500XL for entire time. Car is a 2015 with only 3500 miles (bought in Dec 2016 as a lease return).

Service was under warranty (no charge for anything including loaner). Shop told me cost of new battery is about $25k.

Car works great now after 1 month.
Holy Crap!

$25K?

No one is ever going to fix one of these things when the battery pack craps out outside of warranty.

Tedolph

1 - 20 of 33 Posts