Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Holy Crap!

$25K?

No one is ever going to fix one of these things when the battery pack craps out outside of warranty.

Tedolph
List price on the battery pack is $37,656.25. A remanufactured battery pack is $8,025.00

many fiat parts sites are now listing the 500e battery pack as NLA (No Longer Available)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Buy used 500e at auction + remove/sell batteries = profit! :D

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
The HV Lithium-Ion Battery Limited Warranty lasts for up to 8 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

Why would you have to buy a new battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Opportunity

The HV Lithium-Ion Battery Limited Warranty lasts for up to 8 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

Why would you have to buy a new battery?
I can see a future opportunity for someone to rebuild battery packs for all types of EV's with newer higher density cells.
The cells are all pretty much a standard size, it's just a matter of taking the pack apart and rebuilding it.
Sounds easy enough...;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can see a future opportunity for someone to rebuild battery packs for all types of EV's with newer higher density cells.
The cells are all pretty much a standard size, it's just a matter of taking the pack apart and rebuilding it.
Sounds easy enough...;)
There are YouTube vids on exactly this, for cars like the Prius in particular, possibly others.

Even Tesla uses a LOT of 18650 batteries if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds easy enough...;)
fiat is already doing this.. that is why a reman battery pack is $8,000.

Fiat likely contracts bosch or Samsung to rebuild faulty packs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fiat is already doing this.. that is why a reman battery pack is $8,000.

Fiat likely contracts bosch or Samsung to rebuild faulty packs.
Fiat will likely stop doing this since there is talk of stopping production of the 500e. Some other company will have to get involved. I'm thinking of more of a localized industry sort of like you had engine rebuilders for ICE's. There will be a need for battery pack rebuilders in the near future. As a society we need to get away from this disposable mentality. The thing that makes this possible is the fact that manufacturers are sourcing their cells from common suppliers. The packs are all configured in unique arrangements for different cars but the cells are still the same.

·
Registered
734 Posts
There are already aftermarket companies doing this

No real need yet for a model under eight years old, and still within warranty, tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's you, I think. Reman packs may still have used components inside. The 500e batt seems to be one of the most expensive around, considering its size.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Apparently battery costs were predicted to go down about 15%/year, did so, were predicted to continue, & did so again, so it's reasonable to expect the current 15% drop prediction to occur.

Much like the inflated sales price of EVs, which industry insiders admit already cost less to produce than gas cars, retail batt prices may not yet reflect the lower cost, but based on how well our 500e batteries are lasting, I suspect replacement cost will be quite reasonable by the time most of us actually need it, by which time it will probably be illegal to even register a gas car, at least in CA, with fossil-fuel subsidies redirected to a "cash-for-gas" buy-back program (like cash-for-clunkers).

·
Registered
96 Posts
is it me, or did the HV battery pack cost gone down?
It should have... Some manufacturers are reporting under $100 per kw costs from their cell suppliers. We should see some of that savings in replacements.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts