Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone cracked the ECU yet? I am waiting for exhaust and or intake mod until someone can change the fuel air map to match the capability of these mods...

Anyone have any news on this?:confused:

Triumph!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
im pretty sure intake mod won't need an ECU upgrade since the O2 sensor will automatically send the new increased induction figures to the stock ecu and it will in turn do the proper adjustment to the fuel injectors. sort of the same idea when u change fuel grade and the ecu adjust air and compression accordingly.

But im no mechanic so i could be wrong! :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait... are you saying the o2 sensor and the MAF sensor will automatically re-map the fuel, timing, and air mixture on this car to run @ optimum efficiency and power output? I would assume it is like every other modern car... that would benefit greatly from a e-prom flash or chip upgrade/update... whichever the case may be. Like all other modern cars... the 500 is detuned substantially.

The factory finds the spot where they think is the best compromise of power, reliability, and emissions, and that's where they set it.

The people selling performance exhaust and intake upgrades claiming significant hp/torque gains know this... but you will hear nothing of it... because it would bring sales to a stand still if everyone understood this.;)

I know it has been done for the European spec 500... and I know there were people looking into it... I was wondering if there was any progress on the US 500... because I have heard nothing, about it, for more than a month.

I was not questioning whether or not it was necessary or beneficial:D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree that an ecu flash will be the best upgrade for those with exhausts / intakes. On every car that I have ever had tuned with a performance flash the difference was very noticeable. There are ecu flashes for the euro 500 that has produced up to 15 hp. That is huge

·
Registered
176 Posts
We're doing it, and we're sooo close. We just need to figure out if it's worth the cost. Nothing out there can reflash or even read the ECU so all that has to be made from scratch. Our guy that has the resources to do it and we're negotiating with him right now, but it's a lot of money :mad: Oh, and we need to sacrifice one ECU. So if anyone knows of an ECU laying around...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it would only be "worth it" if a tuner manufactured an intake and exahust that made sence... And offered is as as a package... An all or nothing situation. This would make all other intake/exauhst upgrades inferior... Making it... "worth it" assuming the intake is not a SRI "hot air" or a 6' long "cold air" intake. "If you make it, they will come" to quote the movie

·
Registered
343 Posts
I remember someone offering an ECU package (in Europe) that coupled with intake and exhaust gave an extra 25 HP.

Hard to believe, IMHO, but that would definitely be worth it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Now we need one for the US 500. I can't see spending money to simply make this tiny car louder and breath hot or restricted fresh air from what is currently available.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Not that is relevant but it took Cobb two years to crack the mazdaspeed 3 ecumenical.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We're doing it, and we're sooo close. We just need to figure out if it's worth the cost. Nothing out there can reflash or even read the ECU so all that has to be made from scratch. Our guy that has the resources to do it and we're negotiating with him right now, but it's a lot of money :mad: Oh, and we need to sacrifice one ECU. So if anyone knows of an ECU laying around...
Looking for an ECU? :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why not run an SAFC?
Edit,

I'm thinking since it doesn't have a "static intake cam" the PCM may change valve timing and negate the AFCs tricking the PCM. Maybe a v-tec controller and safc?

Edit again,

Maybe if the PCM sees the tricked air flow it will kick it into a more aggressive cycle.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
so i just bought my fiat and i found this company that has a tune i wonder if they will do a group buy if we can get enough people to sign up. check out the site its http://oetuning.com/blog/?s=fiat. what do you guys think.
That's Mark from Allison Automotive. This has been available for awhile and I can also get it done, but you can't reflash the original file back to stock. This is also a bench flash, not a OBD II flash.

·
Registered
518 Posts
the stock ecu won't take an obdII flash, it's overwrite protected

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.