Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I think my Lounge has a blown head gasket. When I start the engine, I get a ton of white, sweet smelling smoke from the tailpipe. I can't think of any other reason for so much smoke but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm going to try some K-Seal tonight to see if that sorts it out but I'm guessing I'll have to replace the gasket sooner or later.

Has anyone here ever replaced the head gasket on their Fiat? I've changed a bunch on pushrod engines and one OHV motor (Focus) but I'm curious about the "multi-air" thing and whether the head on/off is very different from a standard OHV head?

·
Registered
796 Posts
This video gives an idea of what it looks like inside. Basically it's different than anything else. I can't find a video showing the head removal, but this shows the multi-air. (Obviously, you won't be doing the upgrade they are.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P34QLUaGgY

Yes, it does sound like something (head gasket, etc) is letting water get in the cylinder(s). I don't think the sealer will do it, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Contrary to some claim, the engine is exactly like any other transverse inline four, and the process is exactly the same as pretty much any other modern FWD cars. Only major difference is the multiair block.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
J B hasn't done one - he admits to
'ripping out' an older model fiat engine.
I'm on the tail end of the process.
pm if you like
Thanks dude, yes, I ripped it out as an engineer doing the pre-production, so no, I didn’t replace the head gasket, but I’m very familiar with the process, and I told you how to get to things, you just didn’t like the answer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No dude, you gave incorrect advice,
The engine has to be pulled to to do the head gasket.
You claimed it did not.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WTF? The engine has to come out to do a head gasket? Based on what I see in the video map linked, it looks like the head bolts are all accessible from the top. What am I missing?

I came back to do an update... somehow missed all this. Thanks for the video, map. Very helpful.

In any case, the K-Seal did the trick. I've put 2,000 miles on it without any more smoke so it must have been a tiny leak!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts