Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone on the forum has previously owned or even driven one of the older Fiat 500s? How did you like it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Back in PR as a senior in HS ,I had a 1971 Fiat 850 conv, in 1991 in Venezuela I had a FIAT 147 TUCAN ,both related to the 500, one rear engine ,one tiny FIAT model :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Nothing in common, except the name 500. My John Deer riding mower is more sophisticated. I don't know how a Italian family, cram there kids into the little guy. The original Mini has more room inside. My smart car is a monster compared to it. The orange one above belongs to one of our club members here in KC. Leaving a club meet, we race modern to vintage.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes in 1959. Gray with a red stripe as a "Sport" model. First car my Dad let me drive. Luckily (?) for me, he drank a LOT and always handed me the keys. Toured ALL of California in it with me driving in 1960 at the ripe old age of 11 years old. Most exciting time of my entire life....

·
Registered
924 Posts
We actually had 3 of them shipped over from Italy! They are such interesting cars, we've already stripped one down, cleaned it up and put it back together, we are going to be making these cars available to buy as well!

·
Registered
567 Posts
In my good old days in Belgium, I had the privilege to own and drive a yellow 1973 FIAT 500 :)
The car was 7 years old when I got it from a friend as a replacement for my Lancia Fulvia Coupe that was totalled, parked in front of my front door ...
Loved to drive the old FIAT, but missed the horse power of my 1300 CC V4 Lancia though ;)

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Its pretty crude..............

I dig their simplicity. The '57 500 was a case of accidental genius. Giacosa had no idea, at the time, he was creating what would become a cultural icon.

I don't know about the "nothing in common, except..." bit. There are some obvious styling cues carried over. Of course, we know Giolito also sought to replicate the emotional trigger of the '57s. I would also say some of the philosophy of what inspired the '57 carried over. But, yeah, I'm very pleased with the fact RG didn't simply copy the 50s version of the 500.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was in the Navy and was stationed in Naples ,Italy from 1972-1974.I had a Fiat 500 back then.It was my first car.I was 20 years old when I bought it used.It was the first taste of "independance".
The reason that we have our 2012 sport model now is PROBABLY a very heavy amount of nostalgea ------an attempt to revisit my youth.The original version was very basic and a lot less of the fine points that the current version is.The only real similarity is in the name.I do love our sport version and it always allows me to remember the great times that I had in Naples during the early 70's.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
...an old "500"? no, but back in the mid-70s, I did get to drive a co-workers X19. scared the CRAP out of me.....SERIOUSLY! but to be fair, it wasn't in the best mechanical condition......;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts