Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 mustang 5.0 now, car is fast and fun. i have had gti's in the past and im tired of my 540 per month payment though i only have 2 years left. i have a loaded up 500 sport on order. have any of you come out of high hp cars and into a 500. any opinion's....i realize the 500 is not very quick but i have enjoyed my test drives....

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I came from a charger SRT8 with bolt ons, custom tune. While it made about 500hp it also weighed 4100 ish pounds.

Do I miss the power? Well yeah...but you can't really compare the two cars. I didn't want another performance car. (the car before my Dodge was a 314whp/356trq Mazdaspeed 3 running menthanol spray.
If you get anything close to the Mustang but slightly slower, you'll probably miss the mustang. The 500 is such a far departure from those cars it's not as if you'll be second guessing your purchase provided you make the adjustment in your head. You've just moved from a high HP, high cost, high wear auto to something that pokes around in town and on the highway, sips gas, and is well....fun to drive.

I don't miss my dodge after a week. I've spent less than HALF on gas in the last week alone. My insurance went down $240 a year and I don't have to constantly watch my speed on the highway.

downside...chicks, and lots of them, tell me my car is cute. I came back to my car being gang raped when i was in best buy Friday

Then again, mine is convertible. That makes it extra cute I guess.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya...i hear ya. i enjoy bombing down the freeway at 90mph and jumpin onto the freeway quick, i do have a get out of jail free card. but i generally drive at 75-80 with the flow. i just really like the size and idea of the 500. im a little worried about the roof height of the sunroof. im going to go on a long test drive on tuesday..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I had two months to back out of the deal while my car was on order. I didn't back out. I'm still glad I did it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I saw in another thread an old piece of wisdom that holds very true. Having a really fast sporty car can be fun, but most of the time your not using the car for what it really wants to do. I know from experience that having a big block V8 muscle car was a blast occasionally, but cumbersome as a daily driver in stop and go traffic.

I find my 500 a great daily commuter, and it just feels right. After owning it a few months, it still puts a smile on my face every day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Mike, although I've only driven the 500 a day, it really does put a huge smile on my face each time I'm in it. I've had fast cars, expensive cars but nothing has ever made me grin like this Fiat.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The fastest car I've owned was a 238 hp
Mazda rx8. It was a blast to drive, it also costed me about 250 bucks a month on gas. do I miss it? Not really. 95% of my driving is in the city and the 500 is wayyyy more comfortable to drive around town and even in stock form there is something about it that just makes it a blast to drive. I love that it's super light and easy to toss around. The day I bought it I test drove a nissan se-r spec v with 200 hp and it was Soo dull and had no character compared to the 500.
as the old ( or not that old) saying goes. Sometimes it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car fast. My brothers 440 hp BMW was not really fun to drive because you could never really rev it out past 4k rpm in the city so the sensation of going fast only lasted like a second ( literally) before realizing you were already going the speed limit.. He got bored of it and sold it for a 230 hp 1 series.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am thinking about about trading in my 2006 passat for a fiat 500... I've loved the fiat since they reintroduced it in Europe. I am affraid though because i've been reading sales figures arent promising for it so i am hesitant to get one. I do not want to purchase it and then find out they are pulling them from the market. Also i am 6'3" i sat in a sport with the sunroof. I didnt have much time to adjust the seat and play with it because as soon as i sat down somebody else wanted to sit in it as well. Im not worried about the power because i am no mario andretti when i drive, also i have a close buddy who drove the scion box and swears 101 hp isnt as slow as it sounds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did not give up a high-performance car for the 500... gave up a Prius. I loved the gas mileage in the Prius but hated the car. I have 2,000 mile on my 500 and am enjoying the ride and 5-speed manual transmission. I gave up some gas mileage, the Prius was getting 45 mpg and so far the best I can get is about 37 mpg in the 500. But even with that I enjoy driving the 500 so much more. And with the $10k savings for the 500 purchase over another Prius, I will be ahead in the long term. Oh, I still have a '94 Jaguar XJS and a '69 Jaguar E-type for weekend driving. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
trade off...

I'd rather drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. Also, if you want more power, wait for the abarth 500. It should be pretty decent power to weight ratio. Also, Mopar should be coming out with some sort of bolt on for the 500.

Note: I drive a bmw 135i with a Dinan stage 2 ecu flash (400HP w/400NM), but the 500 is fun to zip around in as a daily driver. I will be getting the Abarth 500, but I have test driven the 500 sport a few times and liked it a lot.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
400nm is about 300ftlbs. your BMW should be closer to 400ftlbs. At least the ones that dusted my Mazdaspeed 3 were. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
you are correct. it is 400 ftlbs of torque. I call her the whiplash maker.
In a 1 series? Good god.

PS I am still hanging on to my CSRT8 for the time being. Some days you just need to have a lot of cubic inches working in your favor.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yeah, in a one series. I've seen them run low 12s on street slicks down my way.

Crazy!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im going tuesday back to my dealer to drive a 5spd sport again, this time im going to push it alittle harder and take a longer test ride. Im still trying to borrow their auto demo overnite...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I too am thinking about about trading in my 2006 passat for a fiat 500... I've loved the fiat since they reintroduced it in Europe. I am affraid though because i've been reading sales figures arent promising for it so i am hesitant to get one. I do not want to purchase it and then find out they are pulling them from the market. Also i am 6'3" i sat in a sport with the sunroof. I didnt have much time to adjust the seat and play with it because as soon as i sat down somebody else wanted to sit in it as well. Im not worried about the power because i am no mario andretti when i drive, also i have a close buddy who drove the scion box and swears 101 hp isnt as slow as it sounds.
Fiat is that close to basically just buying Chrysler out right, so don't worry Fiat is not going anywhere!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Im going tuesday back to my dealer to drive a 5spd sport again, this time im going to push it alittle harder and take a longer test ride. Im still trying to borrow their auto demo overnite...

Absolutely get a real test drive. Ive had dealers give me the around the block test drive before...pretty useless. A good test drive should include some highway speed driving and last more than 5 minutes

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do I miss the power? Well yeah...but you can't really compare the two cars. I didn't want another performance car. (the car before my Dodge was a 314whp/356trq Mazdaspeed 3 running menthanol spray.
If you get anything close to the Mustang but slightly slower, you'll probably miss the mustang. The 500 is such a far departure from those cars it's not as if you'll be second guessing your purchase provided you make the adjustment in your head. You've just moved from a high HP, high cost, high wear auto to something that pokes around in town and on the highway, sips gas, and is well....fun to drive.
So true. I lost 160 HP when I got my Fiat, and I don't give a ****. Strangely enough, I also learned HP <> joy of driving. The Fiat is so nimble, light, and happy I don't care about how many horses I lost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.