Fiat 500 Forum banner

Having Problems with my Air Conditioning =\

30K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Jack whitt37@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Aloha All,

Have a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop. Owned it for a little over a year and the entire time I've had it, the AC has worked FANTASTIC! Lately, I've noticed that slowly it became less and less cold, and now it does not blow cold air at all.

I went the DIY route and recharged the Freon myself, which didn't work. Took it down to an auto mechanic shop and they completely drained and re-filled the Freon, which still didn't work.

At this point, I've got some mechanics telling me it'll cost me a minimum 600 to diagnose the actual issue with no guarantee they can fix it, upwards of $3000 to get it fixed.

Has anyone ever had AC problems? are there any known issues or something else DIY that I can try to get this fixed? The heat in Hawaii is getting unbearable lately.

#2 ·
Have you checked the fuses? Are you certain that the compressor is activating when you switch on the AC? Before looking at something like a heater core make sure you rule out simple stuff like is the switch working or not. It could also be the blend doors inside the hvac blower unit too.

#6 ·
Hm... is there a fuse dedicated to just the AC / Compressor? I actually didn't even consider it could be a fuse issue at all...
Talk to me more about the compressor. I know that initially, when i re-charged the AC i heard "something" which i assumed to be the compressor kick in.

Is it as simple as me popping the hood, turning the ac on to max, and listening to see if I hear something activate?

#3 ·
On a closed system, even if "adding" refrigerant helps, it's only a temporary fix at best - it leaked out of the closed system and went somewhere.

IMHO save the money and get a proper diagnosis/fix.

Good luck...AC issues can be a bear to track down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#11 ·
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions so far!!!
No, I definitely do not hear a "Click" and my RPM stays the same. Does that narrow it down to a compressor issue?
I was able to find the fuse box, went down to my local auto shop and picked up the replacement fuse, unfortunately that didn't do the trick and they did not have the relay fuse for the compressor in stock for me to try and swap that out.

Still blowing regular old air =\

#19 ·
Their are two switches that control the ac freon pressure one is on the passanger side you will have to remove the splash guard it has 6 10 cm bolts holding it in place once you remove that you will be able to see the pressure switch it's kind of in a tight spot but you will still be able to get to it and you also have another pressure switch that on the top passenger side close to the a/c compressor it's on the high pressure line it controls the a/c freon coming the compressor the compressor starts getting to much line pressure it will release the freon and the lower pressure cant send a signal to the computer and the computer gets the signial wrong and shuts down the electric fan and that causes to much high pressure and it will release all the freon and shuts down the ac compressor so try replacing those two switches and also check the fan relay to I have a 2013 fiat 500pop and it happen to me it took me about 35minutes to do all that and my a/c is working great and it cost me around $100 dollars and that's with the 3 cans of freon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.