Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never replaced a head gasket that did not have some sort of sealant or fiber on the outside. The head gasket I received for my daughter's 2012 Pop does not appear to have anything except sandwiched metal and some sort of hard coating on the outer surfaces. I don't want to do this job more than once. Disassembly in the tight engine bay is a nightmare with my size hands.

I don't expect the gasket to need anything but a quick question doesn't hurt.

Additionally, what is the proper torque values and are they torqued wet or dry? I found a posting somewhere of a 4 step process of 15 ft/lb, then 22 ft/lb, then 90° turn, and finally a last 90° turn. Seems a little low to me.

I purchased all new bolts as I don't like reusing old ones.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you can get the head off without pulling the motor, let me know how you do it... I need a head gasket but without pulling the motor, how will you get the timing chain cover off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes off just like any other head.
1. Put a jack under the engine to support it
2. remove the right engine mount and the metal piece it is mounted on,
3. disconnect all the hoses and wires,
4. disconnect the exhaust manifold
5. Leave the intake manifold attached but you will have to cut off the tab that runs from the intake to the valve cover. If you don't do that you need to remove the whole engine. Leave as much of the tab as you can and when you reassemble the engine you can make a tab from a piece of aluminum bar that you bolt in its place.
6. Remove valve cover
7. Remove timing belt covers
8. Loosen timing belt and remove it from the cam sprocket.
9. There are no markings on the cam to align so lock it in place or purchase an aligning kit to insure valve/piston alignment. The 1.4 multiair engine aligns where all the pistons are at the same height not TDC.
10. Unbolt the multiair valve assembly
11. Unbolt the cam carrier being sure to keep the tappets with the proper valves.
12. Unbolt the heads. Use compressed air injected into the spark plug holes to pop the head loose if you are unable to get the head off. Don't reuse the head bolts. The ones I bought from the dealership were only $1.50 each.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I need a new valve cover gasket. Mine leaks. To get to i, you have to pull off the intake manifold, or cut off these tabs on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Managed to pull the heads today without any permanent damage or pulling the engine. Definately took some work but 100% possibe as it was in a garage on Jack stands. Hardest part was honestly getting the far motor mount off completely to get the tensioner free. Not looking forward to reassembly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts