Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Fiat500 Lounge, Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Fiat this summer and haven't had to concern myself with the headlights at night, but now that its darker earlier, I'm finding it almost impossible to see at night with the lights on. I have to have the Fog lights on all the time to see the road in front of me.

I'd like to upgrade to HIDs. I'd greatly appreciate a link to set I can install in my 2012 Fiat Lounge.

I did read through a great thread, but it was quite old and none of the product links worked.

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
For the 500, They use to make kits for HID headlamps. No one really installs those anymore. A lot of people have switched over to brighter LED head lamps. Here’s some on eBay…

Here’s a company that sales automotive LED lights.

Here’s another HID’s, and LED headlamps

good luck with you choices!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Make sure your headlamp lenses are not hazed over - I find the regular halogens to be pretty good at night. I replaced the entire units with stock replacements a couple years ago and it was like night and day, literally. LEDs have a host of problems so my recomendation is to stick with halogens and upgrade to a premium halogen like a silverstar. I think you will find its a cheap upgrade over stock and much easier than a retrofit. You also won't have to worry about blinding oncoming traffic. SYLVANIA 9012 SilverStar ULTRA Halogen Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the headlight bulbs, DRLs, and fog lights from EBay, all LEDs. They are much brighter and it didn’t trip any codes. Just make sure to buy all the same K rating bulbs so you don’t have different LED shades 😉

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 on making sure your headlamps aren’t glazed over and replacing the halogen bulbs. If you do put aftermarket lighting in there, make sure it’s DOT approved (if it says for off road use only, it’s because they couldn’t or wouldn’t get it certified as being safe for use on the road).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my Fiat this summer and haven't had to concern myself with the headlights at night, but now that its darker earlier, I'm finding it almost impossible to see at night with the lights on. I have to have the Fog lights on all the time to see the road in front of me.

I'd like to upgrade to HIDs. I'd greatly appreciate a link to set I can install in my 2012 Fiat Lounge.

I did read through a great thread, but it was quite old and none of the product links worked.
I went with Sylvania Silver Star Ultra.. Helps but the Fiat design is still the problem, I too use the fogs with the headlights. Works and looks good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've gone through two sets of LED replacement bulbs for my 2018 500e. Both sets were much brighter than the stock halogen bulbs, but the first set was extremely blue in color temperature, and I was concerned about the beam pattern also. Then I found this set, which has the LEDs in a full 360 degrees rather than just a "paddle" shape, and this produced a much better beam pattern. In addition, the color temperature, which still a little higher K than I'd like, is much closer to a true white. (In case the link didn't come through, it's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LK9JDX6 ) No problem with tripping any codes with either set. Also, it's possible to plug the bulbs in either way, but unlike incandescent bulbs they will only work one way - try them out with the bulb sitting in the engine compartment before you go to all the trouble of re-assembling everything twice...
~~
Mark Moulding

·
Registered
1 Posts

my daughter is using a 2012 500 sport and we got it from montreal last august. oem phillips 9006/9012 60w was good from quebec back to winnipeg via hiway17. i replace both head and fog by a led 9012/ fog led equivalent 3 weeks later and up to this period, i can say its excellent, really super brighter white even without fog light. no issues...

·
Registered
2012 Fiat500 Lounge, Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've gone through two sets of LED replacement bulbs for my 2018 500e. Both sets were much brighter than the stock halogen bulbs, but the first set was extremely blue in color temperature, and I was concerned about the beam pattern also. Then I found this set, which has the LEDs in a full 360 degrees rather than just a "paddle" shape, and this produced a much better beam pattern. In addition, the color temperature, which still a little higher K than I'd like, is much closer to a true white. (In case the link didn't come through, it's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LK9JDX6 ) No problem with tripping any codes with either set. Also, it's possible to plug the bulbs in either way, but unlike incandescent bulbs they will only work one way - try them out with the bulb sitting in the engine compartment before you go to all the trouble of re-assembling everything twice...
~~
Mark Moulding
Super helpful. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts