Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Abarth and love it! However, my headlights were no longer working when I picked it up from the repair shop after they replaced a flat tire. I then questioned them and they told me to bring it back. Took it back to them and they replaced the bulbs. The lights were so bright, I was amazed. Then the passenger light went out. I called them again and they told me to bring it back. Once again I took it to them. Then, they told me that the ends that plug into the lights needed to be replaced, because they are overheating, but they would have to order the parts and it will take a few days. I waited for at least 2 weeks (no headlights). So, today took it to the Crysler dealer and they told me that the ends on the headlights were melted and needed to be replaced. They will replace for a woppin $952.18. Does anyone know what could have caused this to happen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s been a pretty common issue in the past. Poorly designed connectors
I called Chrysler and spoke with the service manager and was told, the reason the headlight connection melts is, because anytime you leave your car out side and not in a garage in the south the extreme temperature will melt the ends. This is such bogus information, and I don't know how she became a service manager. They so ripped me off! I have not had a good experience with Chrysler since I purchased the car. So disappointed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can go online and purchase replacement 9012 bulb sockets for $10 a set, buy a soldering iron kit for another $10, a $5 package of heat shrink tubing, and a lighter for $2. Buy a $5 roll of wire to practice on and you can replace your headlight plugs for less than $35. After you get the hang of soldering the whole replacement will take you about 5 to 10 minutes each side.

Youtube is a good source to find basic soldering techniques.

Good luck. You can do it yourself with a little self confidence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why they are melting... I can make a few guesses and give you some things to look into.

You commented they were unusually bright. Assuming the previous lights were operating properly, you may have an alternator outputing too much power. Have your local auto store check the voltage in your system while your car is running and the lights are on. I am not sure the actual voltage spec for a 500 but most cars run about 13.5 volts. If your system is higher than that you may have an issue. Brighter bulbs create more heat and it can melt sockets no matter how well they are designed.

I agree the svc manager has no idea what she is talking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can go online and purchase replacement 9012 bulb sockets for $10 a set, buy a soldering iron kit for another $10, a $5 package of heat shrink tubing, and a lighter for $2. Buy a $5 roll of wire to practice on and you can replace your headlight plugs for less than $35. After you get the hang of soldering the whole replacement will take you about 5 to 10 minutes each side.

Youtube is a good source to find basic soldering techniques.

Good luck. You can do it yourself with a little self confidence.
Thank you for the information!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts