Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Anyone had issues with their headlights.... Have had both replaced on my Sport in the past 6 weeks. Both have been covered under warranty,so no issue there.these are supposed to be super long lasting bulbs...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
on the highway the only lighting I have are brights or nothing not even the drl's work. Twice to the dealer, no can replicate. Even my wife who loves the 500 is concerned as this is a safety issue. I may just have an out to get her into something else/better.

·
Registered
13,605 Posts
One of mine went out a month ago. Covered under warranty too. Project head lamps don't seem to last very long.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Projector beams refer to the reflectors and not the bulbs themselves. What kills most bulbs is vibration and it takes less when they are lit. Halogen bulbs for the cheapest car out there and the most expensive are all the same.

·
Registered
13,605 Posts
Projector beams refer to the reflectors and not the bulbs themselves. What kills most bulbs is vibration and it takes less when they are lit. Halogen bulbs for the cheapest car out there and the most expensive are all the same.
My smart car gone though a few over the years.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'm surprised, our roads aren't all sweetness and nice (smooth) and the lights on the 500c were fine on trade in (2 years of driving). I hope the new ones are equally robust.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi all

Anyone had issues with their headlights.... Have had both replaced on my Sport in the past 6 weeks. Both have been covered under warranty,so no issue there.these are supposed to be super long lasting bulbs...

What specifically was wrong with them? A burnt out bulb ls not a "headlight replacement" which is my mind is the whole assembly, but anyways, I hope you get to the bottom of it.

--

As for the other issue someone posted about with the lights not coming on at all, either your low beam filament is not reacting well with the energy its given, the lighting control module could be messed up. Have you swapped out any bulbs for LEDs or other electrical modifications?

For anyone with headlight bulbs going out: Have you personally been installing the replacement bulbs, or letting FIAT do it? If the later, that's probably your problem right there. Next time just request the bulbs, and make sure you don't touch the glass anywhere. If you do, get 99% isopropyl and a cotton swap til they are spotless, and carefully insert into the housing. Being that it's a kind of awkward angle for you hand, I can see how a tech in a hurry could definitely let it hit his palm without being careful. Or even catching some of the dielectric grease that is also around the seal, and plugs. Heck, they might just pull the replacements out of the boxes like they are nothing and jam them in there. Our stock halogens should last a long time at stock wattage. :confused:

As for anybody wanting a better lighting solution, I highly highly recommend the Madness HID kit. Worth every penny. I got a pair from the latest batch recently, and the 5k is bright and clean. Looks factory. Nobody has flashed me yet, but just about everyone turns their head to check out the car. It's an impressive visual upgrade. I run them day and night, and feel other cars can see me a lot better too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As for anybody wanting a better lighting solution, I highly highly recommend the Madness HID kit. Worth every penny. I got a pair from the latest batch recently, and the 5k is bright and clean. Looks factory. Nobody has flashed me yet, but just about everyone turns their head to check out the car. It's an impressive visual upgrade. I run them day and night, and feel other cars can see me a lot better too.
I'm interested in the HID kit, but wonder how the high beam works. I've had aftermarket HIDs in the low beams of a system with separate low beams and brights. In that case there were incandescent bulbs in the high beams so there was no HID warm-up lag when you wanted the brights.

How do the brights in the Madness kit work?

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
I'm interested in the HID kit, but wonder how the high beam works. I've had aftermarket HIDs in the low beams of a system with separate low beams and brights. In that case there were incandescent bulbs in the high beams so there was no HID warm-up lag when you wanted the brights.

How do the brights in the Madness kit work?
All light options for the 500 work the same. We have a sort of flap or door that moves to expose more light. You can hear the clunk when you flip brights on easily in case you've never heard it, open the window and listen without the radio, it is pretty loud!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What specifically was wrong with them? A burnt out bulb ls not a "headlight replacement" which is my mind is the whole assembly, but anyways, I hope you get to the bottom of it.

--

As for the other issue someone posted about with the lights not coming on at all, either your low beam filament is not reacting well with the energy its given, the lighting control module could be messed up. Have you swapped out any bulbs for LEDs or other electrical modifications?

For anyone with headlight bulbs going out: Have you personally been installing the replacement bulbs, or letting FIAT do it? If the later, that's probably your problem right there. Next time just request the bulbs, and make sure you don't touch the glass anywhere. If you do, get 99% isopropyl and a cotton swap til they are spotless, and carefully insert into the housing. Being that it's a kind of awkward angle for you hand, I can see how a tech in a hurry could definitely let it hit his palm without being careful. Or even catching some of the dielectric grease that is also around the seal, and plugs. Heck, they might just pull the replacements out of the boxes like they are nothing and jam them in there. Our stock halogens should last a long time at stock wattage. :confused:

Had to have both bulbs replaced... About 6 weeks apart and at two years

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
So that must mean that the high beams benefit from the HID output.

Welcome to the forum.

As for the HID comment, it is varied as some prefer it while others would rather keep it stock and think it does just as well. I liked stock well enough but decided to give the HID option a try due to the really cheap cost involved (about $60) and I like it with the HID as well. Honestly I like the way the cars looks with the HID kit the most.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My Fiat has developed an appetite for headlight bulbs. I have replaced six now in the last four years. Bought a pair of new ones and am hoping at my age this will be a lifetime job this time around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts