Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive with the drivers window open and the passengers window closed or put the convertible top down, the headliner pops out of the gasket that hold it in place. When visiting the Studio today, I found out that this is also happening on one of the demo convertibles. I have an appointment with the Studio on Monday to get both the headliner and the gasket replaced. I hope this solves the problem. Are any of the other Cabrio owners experiencing this same issue. I have also reported it to Fiat Customer Service and they have asked that I report back to them when the new liner is installed to make sure that solves the problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
The 500 headliner is very odd, lightweight material covered cardboard, behind the visors the next cheaply made interior item, doesn't bother me but I am not shocked to hear it is an issue, kinda curious how it'd hold up over time compared to the more standard material over foam headliners. Hope they get you fixed and it stays that way.

(My terminology might be incorrect but I think you get what I meant to convey here)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 500 headliner is very odd, lightweight material covered cardboard, behind the visors the next cheaply made interior item, doesn't bother me but I am not shocked to hear it is an issue, kinda curious how it'd hold up over time compared to the more standard material over foam headliners. Hope they get you fixed and it stays that way.

(My terminology might be incorrect but I think you get what I meant to convey here)
I totally understand what you are saying. I thought about glueing it but there are airbags behind the headliner and I am not sure that's a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I totally understand what you are saying. I thought about glueing it but there are airbags behind the headliner and I am not sure that's a good idea.

Perhaps they will have some kind of clips that will help, really haven't got a clue how it attaches, hope I never need to know. Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are all the convertible owners. I need your input to try to determine if this is a bigger problem than just my 500 and one other at the Studio. Please respond. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is a common enough problem that I have seen a couple of them. We have contacted Fiat, showed them the issue and are awaiting a solution. Because of the airbags, gluing or clipping the liner in place may not be an option. Once we get a fix, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I haven't seen this on ours, post a picture if you can.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a common enough problem that I have seen a couple of them. We have contacted Fiat, showed them the issue and are awaiting a solution. Because of the airbags, gluing or clipping the liner in place may not be an option. Once we get a fix, I'll post it here.

Thanks for your response. How long ago did you notify Fiat about this problem? I also contacted them to report the issue and they told me to work with my Studio. As I mentioned in my earlier post, they are changing the headliner and gasket on Monday. I really think it is a design defect and I not convinced that changing the headliner and gasket will correct the problem. I hope I am wrong. Keep me posted on your results and I will do the same on mine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't seen this on ours, post a picture if you can.

I don't have a picture as I pop it back in place as soon as it happens. If you look just below the retractible top you will see a gasket that goes around the entire roof. Just below the gasket is the top of the headliner.
What happens is that the headliner pop out of the gasket holding it in place when the top goes down or the drivers window is open and wind starts buffeting the convertible roof. When that happens the top of the headliner is outsdide of the gasket. Not good!

·
Registered
17 Posts
have had the same problem 2x the dealer fixed it twice and it has happened again this week ... i will be going back for a 3rd time and will be making a report to fiat if it its not corrected this last time

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have had the same problem 2x the dealer fixed it twice and it has happened again this week ... i will be going back for a 3rd time and will be making a report to fiat if it its not corrected this last time
Valerio: What exactly did the dealer do the first two time to try to correct the problem? Mine is going to change out the headliner and gasket. I hope it works. My appointment is tomorrow and I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your input. Charley

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based on information I have received from another forum, I am canceling the work to be done on my Cabrio on Monday until I get a sanctioned fix from Fiat and not accept what the Studio Service Department think will fix the problem. I really don't want my headliner pulled out and a new one installed if I am going to be in the same boat as I am now. Another Cabrio owner has had his fixed
twice and it happened again. He is schedule for another try this week. I am trying to find exactly what the Studio did to try and fix the problem. He was not specific as to what was done to his car. I am going to my local Studio on Monday to request a meeting with the Fiat Rep to make sure the right people at Fiat are aware of this issue and that steps are being taken to correct it. I would be a shame to have this tarnish such a great little convertible. I hope someone at Fiat will listen to me. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Any relation to the mileage of the car? My car only has about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone: I met with the Studio Director and my Salesman today and told them I was canceling the work to be done on my car today (changing out the headliner and gasket) because I was not sure that would correct the problem. They did not disagree. I asked for a face to face meeting with the Fiat Rep to discuss the problem and to see what Fiat is doing to correct it. They agreed to set up the meeting for me and I will report back on this thread when the meeting is over and I have additional information to share. Thanks, Charley

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
They are going to offer you an Abarth convertible to keep you quiet, aren't they?

·
Registered
17 Posts
they said that the top gasket was not seated down tight enough... they set it down tighter and tightened up on the clothing hook on each side...it held for about a month and it is starting to pop out of the gasket again...the original gasket was all the way down ..i doubled check before i even gave it to the dealer...i dont believe that the gasket is the problem.. i live in fla and it is very hot and sunny..i believe the liner is warping in the heat and temp changes and that the liner itself is too short or small ...i will see next week when i bring it back for new leather pasanger seat cover, a very bad discoloration on the black leather so they ordered new skin

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they said that the top gasket was not seated down tight enough... they set it down tighter and tightened up on the clothing hook on each side...it held for about a month and it is starting to pop out of the gasket again...the original gasket was all the way down ..i doubled check before i even gave it to the dealer...i dont believe that the gasket is the problem.. i live in fla and it is very hot and sunny..i believe the liner is warping in the heat and temp changes and that the liner itself is too short or small ...i will see next week when i bring it back for new leather pasanger seat cover, a very bad discoloration on the black leather so they ordered new skin
Hey Valerio: Thanks for your input. I am not sure what the answer to this problem is but I promise you I will get to the bottom of it. Hopefully my meeting with the Fiat Rep will shed some light on it. Let us know what they do this time to try to correct the problem. Charley

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those of you who are having problems with the headline, the build date on my 500c was 5/11/11.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts