Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any knowledge of heat shields that keep the intake air cooler? I notice my 500 is more peppy at start up, then loses something once hot. I know a cold air intake would help, but this is my commuter car. I can't have even a little worry about my air intake in the rain or around puddles. I was thinking a way to keep that air cool would be the way to go.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Anyone have any knowledge of heat shields that keep the intake air cooler? I notice my 500 is more peppy at start up, then loses something once hot. I know a cold air intake would help, but this is my commuter car. I can't have even a little worry about my air intake in the rain or around puddles. I was thinking a way to keep that air cool would be the way to go.
I used to wrap that shiny tape used for heating ducts. I had made my own custom airbox out of sheet metal and that sat under a hood scoop I grabbed off the old Nissan 300zx's. I wrapped the whole box and intake hose with that stuff. In summer nights, after pulling a few hard runs with that turbo, I'd pull in the garage, open the hood and touch the K&N cone, ice cold. Think in terms of heat deflection or cold insulation. Be creative!

Reactions: sjmst

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
You could look into a cowl induction style which most people would not notice until the hood was opened and water and debris shouldn't be a major issue, I just don't know if there is enough space for this setup in the 500, in the NB (2nd gen) Miatas there was room if you just slightly moved some lines. Again I relate to the Miata but you could perhaps try building a coolbox of sorts for the intake, something like this maybe: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/17-1006C.html

Since I am not sure if they even make the Randall Cowl induction intake you can see a custom style of the same mod here on page 2... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/137977/1999-mazda-miata-mx-5/page-2

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Reactions: sjmst

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent, thanks!
hi
first of all i dont suppouse that in case u have standard airbox Your car loosing a power coz of higer temp of intake air
second dont afraid using KN filter, here we ride all year long with such a type of filter all the time in every road conditions
third dont expect too much from car with euro5 emision
but if You feel that your car loosing some power check it by dynotest maybe one of temp senders not work properly
regs
kyller
SC 1.2 8V 6 speed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts