Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, 2 problems with my '08 500.

On these cold mornings I've found ice on the inside of the windscreen and windows. It's such a pain, I've had to use de icer on it!

And also, my heaters no longer get warm/hot, they only produce cold air :( I've been reading a few things about this problem, so I've checked the coolant level which is fine. Any other tips on what it could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the coolant level is fine, there are only three possibilities:

1) your thermostat is closed and not allowing the warm/hot water to circulate. This can be dangerous depending on how the coolant flows through the motor. If your temperature gauge reads normally, this is unlikely.

2) The heater core valve (heater control valve) has failed somehow. This could be an electrical failure or a failure of the valve itself or it might be stuck or frozen. This is probably the most likely cause.

3) the heater core, or the line leading to/from it is somehow blocked. This is probably the least likely.

Test your antifreeze. Also, if you can park your car in a garage or somewhere warm overnight, see if that clears it up. If it does, there was ice somewhere in the system and your antifreeze has too high a freezing point and should be refreshed.

If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to figure out how to test the valve. On my car it's integrated into the thermostat housing so it's easy to get at.

-Brian

·
Registered
852 Posts
Could it also be a damper door in the ventilation system? If it doesn't work it's on cold all time maybe. It could be due to a vacuum leak (the damper doors are vacuum operated, right?)

·
Registered
938 Posts

On these cold mornings I've found ice on the inside of the windscreen and windows. It's such a pain, I've had to use de icer on it!

And also, my heaters no longer get warm/hot, they only produce cold air :( I've been reading a few things about this problem, so I've checked the coolant level which is fine. Any other tips on what it could be?

Thanks
How cold and where are you? It takes like 10 minutes or more for heat to come out. Other than that ditto what Expressolounge12 says.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Thanks
I'm sorry to hear about this! If you'd like to PM me your VIN, I can look into possible TSBs for this concern.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could it also be a damper door in the ventilation system? If it doesn't work it's on cold all time maybe. It could be due to a vacuum leak (the damper doors are vacuum operated, right?)
Maybe. Usually when a damper door is stuck you still get a little warm out of the vents. Could be sealed tighter on the 500, though.

The key to figuring out which is which is to reach under the dash and feel the heater core (if it's accessible). You can also grab the hose at the thermostat that goes to the heater core too. (I don't recommend groping around under the hood while the motor is on if I can avoid it. :D )

-Brian

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think the key here is the OP says he has an '08 which means it is a European 500. Agree checking the mechanical things will most likely disclose the culprit. Good luck with the resolution of your issue!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Providing the engine is getting warm, it sounds like a bad solenoid that should be in the hot water supply line going to the heater core.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the coolant level is fine, there are only three possibilities:

1) your thermostat is closed and not allowing the warm/hot water to circulate. This can be dangerous depending on how the coolant flows through the motor. If your temperature gauge reads normally, this is unlikely.

2) The heater core valve (heater control valve) has failed somehow. This could be an electrical failure or a failure of the valve itself or it might be stuck or frozen. This is probably the most likely cause.

3) the heater core, or the line leading to/from it is somehow blocked. This is probably the least likely.

Test your antifreeze. Also, if you can park your car in a garage or somewhere warm overnight, see if that clears it up. If it does, there was ice somewhere in the system and your antifreeze has too high a freezing point and should be refreshed.

If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to figure out how to test the valve. On my car it's integrated into the thermostat housing so it's easy to get at.

-Brian
Where is the heater control valve located

·
Registered
1 Posts
The heater circuit works independently of the thermostat,there is no water control valve or solenoid,temperature is controlled by a heater blend flap.The temperature is monitored by the cabin temp sensor and 2 temperature sensors mounted in the either side outlets if dual zone climate is fitted. The failure of one of these sensors can feed a false reading back to the hvac module,this is unlikely but possible. If you have heat on one side but not the other it can not be anything to do with the cooling system as there is only one heater matrix,Almost certainly it is a fault in the heater blend flap motor on the drivers side,I replace these regularly. and they are known to fail intermittently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The heater circuit works independently of the thermostat,there is no water control valve or solenoid,temperature is controlled by a heater blend flap.The temperature is monitored by the cabin temp sensor and 2 temperature sensors mounted in the either side outlets if dual zone climate is fitted. The failure of one of these sensors can feed a false reading back to the hvac module,this is unlikely but possible. If you have heat on one side but not the other it can not be anything to do with the cooling system as there is only one heater matrix,Almost certainly it is a fault in the heater blend flap motor on the drivers side,I replace these regularly. and they are known to fail intermittently.
Would this be the same issue with a 2013 Sport Turbo? I have two of them and one gets really hot inside when its -40 degrees C and the other only gets warm. I did replace the thermostat already in the car but the heat didn't inprove. Any help would be fantastic.

R.K.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would this be the same issue with a 2013 Sport Turbo? I have two of them and one gets really hot inside when its -40 degrees C and the other only gets warm. I did replace the thermostat already in the car but the heat didn't inprove. Any help would be fantastic.

R.K.
If I read richy tyler's post correctly, on the coolant side feeding the heater core, there is not valve or solenoid, meaning that coolant is always flowing through the heater core.

Thinking out loud, you could have a partially clogged heater core, a blend door not opening completely, or faulty sensor reading back to the hvac. I've got no experience personally troubleshooting these on the 500, so hopefully some searching or another member can jump in with specifics. On an older car I've done a heater core flush by hooking a hose up to one side of it and discharge line to the other side, although that's probably pretty challenging to get to on the 500.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just went into the highway. Keep in mind it’s -40 degrees here now. All the windows fogged up instantly. What is going on here?

R.K.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So here is a update:

Driving home yesterday it was nice and warm here; around 32F. I tried to turn down the heat but it wouldn't go down. It was blasting the heat at 100%. I tried the AC. No go. I turned off the heat but I was still getting hot air blowing out the vents when I was driving so we had to open the windows. Took it straight to the dealer to diagnos.

Got a call today and got the bad news.... The main unit has failed. No new parts available. I have to get a used unit. Both actuators for the blend door and outdoor flaps have failed as well. Those are a week out. That would explain why while driving I was feeling cold air coming in and blowing on my feet and face. They're going to install the used unit and see if they can establish communication with the actuators saving me some cash. Otherwise its a $1500 repair... Ouch...

R.K.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts