Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Mississauga, Canada. Just picked up my cute 500C in pearl white with red top and red & white interior -- 5 speed with all available options. She joins our family of unique marques that include a 1973 Jag E Type 2+2, a 1988 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet, and a 1992 Porsche 911 Turbo (Protomotive built w/750rwhp!)

I plan to install the following upgrades:

MM performance exhaust
Injen air intake
Light flywheel
H&R Lowering springs
17x7 wheels

Fiat Madness seems to carry all parts, however I would appreciate member comments and advice on their experiences especially on the suspension upgrades, which brands work best and what pitfalls to avoid.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend you wait for the Abarth if you're looking for more performance...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good suggestion epb and I thought of the Abarth (not yet released in Canada) however kinda like the 500C Lounge and its creature comforts! I am not really looking for high performance in this vehice since I plan to use it as a daily driver -- just looking for a sportier appearance and perhaps a bit more pep from basic mods that will not compromise ride quality, fuel efficiency and overall reliability. The light flywheel might be stretching it but as per reviews they say it makes a huge differnce in response & is good bang for the buck. Suggestions?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm with you - my Z4 M Coupe is hardcore enough and I'm really enjoying the relief of the relatively comfortable 500 Sport; if the Abarth is a harsh as my BMW, I'd look at modding my current 500 rather than upgrading.

My thoughts? My issue with light flywheels is everyone goes to extremes, so that they're only really worth it on the track. I wouldn't want the lightest flywheel possible, I'd want to shave a few pounds of the stock one for a bit more pep, but with enough mass so I don't get that instant drop-off of rpms the moment my foot is off the throttle. I get why companies do it - it's a performance upgrade and most people want the most performance possible, rather than livability, and the companies cater to that.

Speaking of daily-drivable mods and extra pep: rather than a cold air intake or exhaust, I'd want a diff upgrade changing the final drive ratio to 3.85:1. More oomph throughout the rev range without making our short first gear useless. I suspect the only feasible choice would be the 4.10:1 from the automatics, but I'm iffy on a ratio that high...

Only other mods I'd make on a daily driver are lowering springs to lower the center of gravity and improve handling, and wider tires for a bit more stability in turns and dealing with crosswinds. Unfortunately, wider seems to equal larger with wheels and with 100hp we don't need more unsprung, rotational mass, but if the wheels were light enough, maybe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great ideas, thanks! I hear you on the diff upgrade. I guess I need to live with the 500C for some time to better understand what makes sense for me for extra performance. Meanwhile as a first step I just ordered a set of Vmaxx coilovers and Sparco Assetto wheels from Soler in Miami...let's see how that goes. Will keep you posted. Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts