Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm so happy to have found this forum. I am thinking about buying a 500 in the next week or so and have been trying to figure out if I want a 500 Lounge or a Lounge 500c. Love the convertible feature but am concerned about soft top maintenance and our long winters. It would be parked inside most of the time but still wonder about the cleaning, fading.... over time.

I think having the sunroof on the 500 would also be nice and less maintenance but still just not sure which way to go.

I was also wondering if adding a remote start is possible on the 500s? And what sort of discount or extras people have gotten here at the dealerships in Canada.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello and welcome. I too am from Edmonton. If you click on my name, then work your way through "public profile"/"show all statistics"/"find all posts by," you will get to some posts in which I described my dealer experience. I think I got a good deal when I bought my pop from Capital Motors, but when I later encountered a problem I was unimpressed by their service department, whereas the service people at Derrick Motors were sympathetic and helpful. So if I had it to do over again, I would have bought my car at Derrick. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I picked up the 500c lounge today to test it out till Tuesday. Omg, I love it! I could not stop smiling and it drives wonderfully. Like it was made to be mine. The feeling of the wind blowing thru my hair felt so nice on a beautiful sunny day.

Bebeowner, that was horrible service that you received. It would not of cost them much to fix your problem and they would of kept a customer and received more from your recommendations. Such a shame. If you are on facebook you can post your story on the Fiat FB page and sometimes they all of a sudden want to make things better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
personally I would avoid the "c" just because if you plan on keeping it a long time, all convert. tops eventually wear out/leak/fade.

But I wanted to tell you mainly that the remote start is going to be a available option, but is not yet. I know because I really wanted it so I asked around. Might be out within a few months if your willing to wait. Couldn't get a solid answer though, so... I ordered mine. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my car at Crosstown just off the yellowhead and they where the best to deal with and where more then happy to help me out! I have the Sport model and LOVE it! I was going to wait for the turbo next year but it might not happen til 2014 now or might not even be sent to canada! YES we need to set up a meet!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
personally I would avoid the "c" just because if you plan on keeping it a long time, all convert. tops eventually wear out/leak/fade.

But I wanted to tell you mainly that the remote start is going to be a available option, but is not yet. I know because I really wanted it so I asked around. Might be out within a few months if your willing to wait. Couldn't get a solid answer though, so... I ordered mine. :)
Will this require a change for the remote? I see no way for it to work unless it is done by holding a button for a specified interval of time...wish the sunroof opened on a long press and hold. Thanks for this news, I definitely want remote start when it becomes an option unless I need to carry another remote in which case I will definitely pass.:cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Will this require a change for the remote? I see no way for it to work unless it is done by holding a button for a specified interval of time...wish the sunroof opened on a long press and hold. Thanks for this news, I definitely want remote start when it becomes an option unless I need to carry another remote in which case I will definitely pass.:cool:
No idea if it will be a added feature to the stock remote, or a new remote, or hopefully not a additional remote.

I would say it will probably either come with 2 new keys that will be cut to your car to replace your current ones, or maybe it will require holding a combination of buttons on the stock remote.

It would defeat the purpose of getting a factory remote start if it required a additional remote.

I do know that its comming though, my dealer has a list of "things to come", but even he doesn't know why things like ambient lighting are being made available before more usefull features.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
No idea if it will be a added feature to the stock remote, or a new remote, or hopefully not a additional remote.

I would say it will probably either come with 2 new keys that will be cut to your car to replace your current ones, or maybe it will require holding a combination of buttons on the stock remote.

It would defeat the purpose of getting a factory remote start if it required a additional remote.

I do know that its comming though, my dealer has a list of "things to come", but even he doesn't know why things like ambient lighting are being made available before more usefull features.
Thanks, I definitely will not carry an addition remote or change from this type, I have seen programmers for this key fob for around $230 or so, maybe someone smart enough can figure out how to work something out with time. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Breezygirl - good lucky if you do buy...

We pre-order our PE months before the dealers even had a clue about these cars coming. Picked up ours from Crosstown and I can go on about that.... long story short will never go back. Have been to all four dealers here and the one in Calgary and I think they are all have there flaws, at the time I think the biggest problem was Fiat Canada wasn't doing a good job of supporting the dealers.

But back to your question, yes a remote started can be added - I have two lined up that I'm about to do. There is a new bypass just released, from what I've read on other forums it works good.

But on another note: someone told me today that there are three broken 500's sitting at Crosstown cause the remote starters where used last week when it was close to -20. That's all the details I know, I want to guess the dealer did a bad install or something - I've done 100's of remote starts in many other cars and its no different then starting with the key - cause I don't understand why a remote start cause the motor to blow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I picked up the 500 Lounge non-convertible because my other car is a Mini Cooper Convertible and I can tell you that Alberta weather is not well suited to a convertible after driving it the last four winters in Red Deer. I also ended having leaks and mechanical problems after every winter which fortunately up until now has been covered under warranty.

As for a starter, I purchased a Viper 5501 from Visions in Red Deer and it works beautifully, and I did not have to give up a key as most modern starters require you to, however it does require me to carry a second remote. The nice thing about this starter is that it's two way so I can confirm that the car has started and even see the temperature inside the car on the remote.

I bought my car from Eastside in Calgary, however my local Chrysler dealer, Southside Dodge handled all the paperwork and even brought the car to Red Deer for me.

I did a lot of comparison shopping and truthfully could not find anything in a subcompact as feature filled or stylish as a 500 Lounge for anywhere close to the price. The closest option I found was a Mini though it would have been about $3,000 more for similar features, and well, I already have a Mini as my summer car.

Edit: Just noticed this thread was several months old. My bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts