Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, well, let's see. I just bought a new 2012 500 POP, it has 701 miles on it now. So far the check engine light came on, then the radio started to fade in and out when i drove the car (speed volume was off). I took it to the dealer and they downloaded software and that fixed the chk engine light, they ordered me a new radio and replaced it(today) it's a BRAND new car, this shouldn't happen so soon, right? I guess what i'm asking is, before i spend money on this car, would it be worth keeping or should i let it just go back to the bank, to heck with the credit. All i have read on here mostly is all BAD things about this car. WOW! lol Any opinion or advice would be great...:(

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi everyone, well, let's see. I just bought a new 2012 500 POP, it has 701 miles on it now. So far the check engine light came on, then the radio started to fade in and out when i drove the car (speed volume was off). I took it to the dealer and they downloaded software and that fixed the chk engine light, they ordered me a new radio and replaced it(today) it's a BRAND new car, this shouldn't happen so soon, right? I guess what i'm asking is, before i spend money on this car, would it be worth keeping or should i let it just go back to the bank, to heck with the credit. All i have read on here mostly is all BAD things about this car. WOW! lol Any opinion or advice would be great...:(
Unfortunately you'll find the squeaky wheels make the most noise. Modern automobiles are very complex machines. The problems you are experiencing are the equivalent of a mosquito buzzing around your ear, annoying, but not serious. Once the issues are resolved things should be good for many, many miles. You have to make the decision. If you read all the forums before you bought the car, then you may have had the mindset that the wheels would fall off exiting the lot...if you feel that way then you would probably be better off ditching the car. My car will be a year old next month. I am retired so I don't put a lot of miles on it...it has approximately 4,800 miles right now. Other than a trim piece that was damaged at the factory I have had NO mechanical issues. The software upgrade was done when I had my first oil change. My Sirius radio works fine. I just had the windows tinted and will probably do wheels and tires next. Not only that but the car has a FOUR YEAR 50,000 MILE WARRANTY, which is basically the same as Mercedes Benz offers.

YOU have to make the decision. Just be sure you'll be happy with that decision.

Reactions: 1630

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Stuff happens and cars get built on Fridays, lol. Minor issues should not discourage you. Look at Chevy. They forgot to put brake pads on their cars.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Pretty much have to agree with SD, you will always hear more negative than positive it seems but take advantage of the warranty and enjoy the car if you like enough about it to work through the issues, otherwise look for another ride and hope it doesn't also end up with serious problems. Either way good luck and welcome to the forum! (If I haven't already welcomed you)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Yeah if you listened to all the neigh sayers out there you would be relegated to a honda civic or toyota camry, and have a trouble free novacaine filled driving experience.

So far I have logged 3000 miles on my car with no issues that I can observe (other than a newly discovered rock chip on my front bumper... ****!)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Fiat has not been known for their reliability in the past. Buying one for me was about simplicity and it being a chic magnet. I believe it was Top Gear that said Italian cars are built with "Soul and Passion" instead of math and science. Good luck with your decision and sorry for the unfortunate luck you had with your car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Internet forums are where people go for help - and that means it's people asking about trouble they're having. I'm a member of forums for Hyundais, Mazdas, Fiats, Triumph motorcycles, and Stella/Vespa scooters, and in all cases the forums have lots of people whose only reason for joining was to get information about problems they had. While this forum certainly has more such stories than the Hyundai forum, it's certainly no worse than the others (Hyundais seem to be bulletproof in the last decade).

Regarding your problems, I'm sorry they happened but they're both minor bugs that didn't get shaken out in the factory. A certainly percentage of consumer electronics are DOA (dead on arrival) despite working when they were QCed at the factory, and so it stands to reason that occasionally those same types of electronics will make it through the sale but not much more. The warranty protects you from that.

I'd ditch a car if the transmission failed in the first 700 miles; I'd ditch it if more than one wheel failed in a major way in the same timeframe. I'd ditch it if the brakes failed. But I wouldn't ditch it for a faulty radio and minor sensor problem. Obviously it's your choice; but literally reneging on the loan and handing it to the bank is a really poor choice even if you don't want the car - trade it in on a different car and eat the loss if you don't want it, you'll only be out a couple grand and you won't have demonstrated to the financial industry the untrustworthiness of your signature and name.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Internet forums are where people go for help - and that means it's people asking about trouble they're having. I'm a member of forums for Hyundais, Mazdas, Fiats, Triumph motorcycles, and Stella/Vespa scooters, and in all cases the forums have lots of people whose only reason for joining was to get information about problems they had. While this forum certainly has more such stories than the Hyundai forum, it's certainly no worse than the others (Hyundais seem to be bulletproof in the last decade).

Regarding your problems, I'm sorry they happened but they're both minor bugs that didn't get shaken out in the factory. A certainly percentage of consumer electronics are DOA (dead on arrival) despite working when they were QCed at the factory, and so it stands to reason that occasionally those same types of electronics will make it through the sale but not much more. The warranty protects you from that.

I'd ditch a car if the transmission failed in the first 700 miles; I'd ditch it if more than one wheel failed in a major way in the same timeframe. I'd ditch it if the brakes failed. But I wouldn't ditch it for a faulty radio and minor sensor problem. Obviously it's your choice; but literally reneging on the loan and handing it to the bank is a really poor choice even if you don't want the car - trade it in on a different car and eat the loss if you don't want it, you'll only be out a couple grand and you won't have demonstrated to the financial industry the untrustworthiness of your signature and name.
I agree, but handing the keys to the bank to take a credit hit is, how do you say it kindly? Well you know.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I've travelled 20 times that far with my Pop, and have no problems so far. I've had a similar experience with Nissan, Toyota, VW, and Chevy Aveo. The only cars I had unusual problems with was before I could afford to buy new.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, just wanna thank all of you for the great advice. Yeah! i kinda went to the deep end, just upset that this happened, BUT! The dealer did fix everything and the car now runs GREAT!! I'm gonna keep this car. Hope to chat with ya'll again. Does anyone know of a fiat club here in Kentucky?? Again, thanx for the help in opening these eyes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts