Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
the abarth will be a great car, no doubt. But you have to remember 22K is for a base abarth, for some thats okay but once you add a few options, plus all of your fees and taxes these abarths will start hitting the 26-28K range, then the value isnt quite as high since you can then get into a cooper S, GTI etc. Obviously I think the Abarth is more unique and a cooler car all around, but for the car shopper who is open to more cars than just the Abarth, they may be steered in another direction since all of the abarths competitors from a performance aspect will out perform it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
For me I would have optioned it out to the the mid/upper 20's - not what I was looking to spend when I bought my Sport in November. I'm perfectly happy modding what I have and makin git mine. I'm also rather enjoying fuel mileage in the upper 30's. I susect the Abarth will be high 20's. The biggest thing I'll be jealous of with the Abarth are those sexy looking seats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good points concerning the price. I want a completely base abarth myself, no need for any options as I intend to use it on the track as well as the street and want the lightest car possible. I will most likely begin to lighten even further once the SCCA decides how to class it and I know what can be done vs. what I would like to do.The mileage for the Abarth was just published and I believe It was better then the 20's but I can't find the link right now so I will have to look it up again and post it later.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the abarth will be a great car, no doubt. But you have to remember 22K is for a base abarth, for some thats okay but once you add a few options, plus all of your fees and taxes these abarths will start hitting the 26-28K range, then the value isnt quite as high since you can then get into a cooper S, GTI etc. Obviously I think the Abarth is more unique and a cooler car all around, but for the car shopper who is open to more cars than just the Abarth, they may be steered in another direction since all of the abarths competitors from a performance aspect will out perform it. Just my 2 cents.
an Abarth with every option is only 26500 or so. Add your taxes and dealer fees and yes youre around the 28000 mark. Do the same with a Mini. Youre mid 30's easy. Personally having driven quite a few minis they just arent worth 30+ grand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your right about the mini, very expensive and costs a lot to maintain if driven much. I always think about the fact an armrest is optional in the mini and costs $250.00 and it just keeps inflating from there. For the money, what the fiat provides is unmatched.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My '06 MINI S was around 27K pretty well optioned. Sounds like they've really gone up! :-O

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
an Abarth with every option is only 26500 or so. Add your taxes and dealer fees and yes youre around the 28000 mark. Do the same with a Mini. Youre mid 30's easy. Personally having driven quite a few minis they just arent worth 30+ grand.
Even at 26500, plus taxes ( its 5% here in Alberta) thats 27825, lets say at best the freight/pdi is $700, then you have your admin fee, and a few other smaller fees you'll be at 29K easily and there will be no haggling on these Abarths.
While I think the Abarth is cooler and more unique than the cooper S, the resale value on the coopers have proven to be very high, it will no doubt retain its value better than an Abarth.

·
Registered
196 Posts
While I think the Abarth is cooler and more unique than the cooper S, the resale value on the coopers have proven to be very high, it will no doubt retain its value better than an Abarth.
What's that based on?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What's that based on?
Logic. Its a fact that grman cars retain their value better than most. Obviously resale on the Abarth will depend on how many are old and sitting on dealer lots etc if numbers are close to what the cooper S is, the fact that its made in Mexico and being represented by a domestic car company will surely make the abarth depreciate faster than a cooper S or GTI. Look at the 500s now. Each lot has an insane amount of them sitting around,and I can tell you from already trying to trade in my 500 Prima that they have taken a HUGE drop already.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My prediction for the Abarth is at first they will be hard to get, and order lists will be long and there value will remain high for the first six months to a year and half. I say this because that is how long it will take for the true Fiat enthusiasts to get fitted to their Abarth. In that time there will also be new cars added to the competition like the TR- S, BRZ, Focus ST, Veloster turbo and the talk of a complete make over of the Cooper S for late 2013/ early 2014 including body and engine. I think at that time Fiat will need to change it's strange of "order only- no test drives" on the Abarth. I am not saying they are or should flood the lots with them but they will need to ease their iron grip. Mark ups will not be tolerated well at all by the market- that will be a death nail. I think they will hold their value better than the standard 500 Pop, Sport and Lounge but I don't expect it to be as much as a MINI. This all depends to on reliability reports and build quality and the automotive media of coarse.

This is all opinion.

I, for one, am going to wait a year or two before buying to watch for reliability issues and to pay down the CR-Z some more. I think the Abarth is fantastic looking, and is at a great price but reliability is a HUGE concern I have a long with being able to test drive it first.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Logic. Its a fact that grman cars retain their value better than most. Obviously resale on the Abarth will depend on how many are old and sitting on dealer lots etc if numbers are close to what the cooper S is, the fact that its made in Mexico and being represented by a domestic car company will surely make the abarth depreciate faster than a cooper S or GTI. Look at the 500s now. Each lot has an insane amount of them sitting around,and I can tell you from already trying to trade in my 500 Prima that they have taken a HUGE drop already.
I agree with some of your points but respectfully disagree with the highlighted part because these cars are made to order as of right now- no sitting on lots. In fact, the demo they will get you can't even test drive, at my dealer anyway. It will be interesting to see how this strategy will pan out.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree with some of your points but respectfully disagree with the highlighted part because these cars are made to order as of right now- no sitting on lots. In fact, the demo they will get you can't even test drive, at my dealer anyway. It will be interesting to see how this strategy will pan out.
I say that that because the more limited cars are, the more valuable they become to resale since there would be higher demand for them. For right now Fiat is telling people they are made to order and in limited quantities, but just like the Primas ,I got one off the lot over a month after all the special orders were delievered. I suspect after the first batch of Abarths are sold, if they are selling well they will go into mass production like the coopers S and GTIS etc which will bring down resale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts