Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Anxiously awaiting my new Pop, ordered from Bob Boyd in Columbus. Just found out yesterday that the railcar it's on checked in in Texarkana, AR. Soon!

I ordered mine in the Oliva with the black/grey interior. The only option I added was the alloy wheels.

I love small Euro city cars, so I can't wait. My wife and I already have a four-day road trip scheduled for mid-May.

I'm sure I'll be back on here daily, checking out and contributing to all the content here.

Ryan

·
Registered
72 Posts
You might be the first Oliva owner to post up! Can't wait to see some photos and congratulations on the new 500!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cant' wait to see the pics ... congrats!

How were the folks at Bob Boyd's to work with from your experience? I'm down in Cincinnati, and the local dealer here (King's Fiat) has delayed their opening until the end of May. Seems like they are in no big hurry to get their store open, for some reason ...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Einy,

Body's was good, very responsive. I'm working with Matt Bond there.

King's - not impressed. I emailed, called, stopped by twice to leave my name and number and got zero response. And this was in Feb, not early on.

I found Boyd's online and emailed and got a personal reply from Matt after just a couple of hours. They already had a website and FB and Twitter set up. King's didn't have anything like that.

I just got the feeling that Boyd's was a lot more serious about selling the product and getting it out there, where King's came across as somewhat lazy, or maybe they just preferred to wait until they got closer to actually opening.

King's has a couple of Sports sitting out on display now. Boyd's is fully open. I actually live closer to King's, but Boyd's was much better to work with, IMO.

Ryan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Ryan. I did have some dialogue with the sales manager a King's prior to the recent Cincinnati auto show, wondering if they would have a 500 there or not. It was a "yes we will", "not looking good", "looking a bit better" type of response string, but ultimately they had the red one (that I think they still have as a demo) there at the last minute. At that time, I was told they would have a grand opening in April, which then got pushed back to May 1, and now I'm seeing May 30th. The dealership (old Mitsubishi showroom) is now being renovated into a Fiat studio, but it looks like progress is slow. Two - three weeks ago (can't recall exactly), I was told by "Chad" that I can put down a deposit and they would order a car once they are open (?!?!?!), and that other customers were doing that. I could not get a commitment on pricing at that time, other than a comment of "there's not alot of margin in these cars for us". (I was told the same thing from the King's Kia dealer a year ago when I was considering a Kia Soul, but now they are discounting them to the tune of $1,000 plus depending on configuration).

I think the family and I will head up to Columbus on an upcoming weekend to take in their zoo, and stop by BB's while there to see what they have to offer.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,

Sounds good, I wasn't disappointed. When I went up for my test drive, Boyd's didn't have the Studio open, so I met them at their Lincoln dealership. They were taking orders at that time, and it wasn't one of those, "Give me some money and we'll order it when we're able" -- they were actively taking orders, I put down my deposit, and I was in the system, that simple.

I doubt if you'll budge anyone much on the price. It's a new make/model, and they're not that easy to get ahold of yet, I don't think. Also, they're pretty inexpensive to begin with. They're getting the hot-new-thing buzz and they're $8-10K less than a MINI. My guess is, and it's just a guess and I don't follow the industry much, is that they may be priced very close to margin to jump-start the sales, and they'll increase in relation to how popular they are the first year. I don't know if they'll come down much, though, they really seem to have a lot on them for about $16K.

King's, I actually stopped and talked to them twice, left my name and number, they were fine to talk to, it's just that there was no follow-through. I drive by the exit for King's several times a week, so I usually do a drive-by just to check on their progress about once a week. It seems to be crawling.

You know, now that I think about it, I stopped there last Saturday and got out and looked at both cars on display. Peered in the windows, tried to open the doors, I was there with my wife a good 15 minutes. During that time, no one asked me if I was interested in the car. Like I said earlier, they just don't seem too excited about the whole prospect.

Boyd's was really on top of it, photos on FB, had a car ready to test drive, responded to all my emails within a couple of hours (and they still do). I guess the process could still go south at some point, but so far, very satisfied.

If you do go up, ask for Matt, and tell him his Oliva recommended him. So far, I think I'm the only one who's ordered an Oliva from him.

Ryan

Ryan

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
hey neighbor. I'm next door in Indiana. just curious, you chose a Pop with alloys ($15,500 + 500.00 for the alloys) for $16,000 over a Sport with 16" alloys, Bose, upgraded interior, etc. for $17,500.

I guess it just depends on what you want out of your 500. for the extra $1,500, it just seems that the Sport is a much better buy. sadly, most of the Sports I've seen come in lately are automatics, NOT 5sp's.

as for the Pops, I DO like some of the color combos for the interiors. too bad they don't offer more colors for the Sports.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rosso,

Yes, I did the math on it and almost got the Sport, just because of the economics. Believe me, I tossed and turned for two nights before making my decision.

In the end, though, I got the Pop because I liked it better. As simple as that. For me, the Pop is closer in spirit to the older 500 city cars. I'm not a sporty person by nature, so the sport add-ons didn't mean as much to me. I know a lot of people are looking forward to the go-cart aspect, but I'm more like an old man heading to the market. Maybe a bit like Mr. Bean in his basic Mini.

It was funny when I test drove it. They only had a Sport and the dealer kept pointing all the racy sporty stuff and I kept telling him I didn't care because I wanted a Pop. I think he finally got it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a 12 Pop, drove it for 13,000 miles, then traded for a 13 Sport just because of the great deal offered by Sweeny Fiat of Florence, Ky. No problems
with the Pop, just like some features of the Sport better. The Sport is more heavy and has a more solid feel going down the road, plus I got the black on black colors I wanted. Welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts