Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying some HID's for my 500. I want to order the 6000k 35w kit from DDM tuning, but I've heard a few people mention that, instead of the OEM size 9006, to use a 9005 size bulb. Apparently, its the same as a 9006, but just slightly shorter. I know that the HID 9006 bulbs are slightly longer than our OEM 9006, but is it really that big of a difference? I did some more research, and even on other car sites a few people are saying if the bulb is too close it could cause burn marks, melt the lens, or cause discoloration of the lens from the heat.. is any of this true? I figure the 9006 bulbs will probably be just fine and I'm worrying too much, but I just want to double check before I make the purchase and end up having to buy new headlight assembly's :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I run the 9005's. I figured why risk damaging the lens. The plug on both bulbs is the same so it was really easy to install the 9005.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, I was hoping someone actually running 9005's would post! So you had no problems at all installing the 9005's then? Do you recall how the length of the 9005 HID compares to our OEM 9006? Also, where did you buy your kit from?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think he posted that he runs the 9005's unless that's a typo
I'm confused, did you think I was being sarcastic or something? If so, sorry about that, I actually meant that I was hoping someone like him would post because I couldn't find anyone who confirmed that they do work just fine in our cars, just a couple people recommending it with no further information.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Awesome, I was hoping someone actually running 9005's would post! So you had no problems at all installing the 9005's then? Do you recall how the length of the 9005 HID compares to our OEM 9006? Also, where did you buy your kit from?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
I don't recall the exact difference. I know it was noticeably smaller. I run a car stereo shop, so replacing headlights is no problem for me. But I think anybody with a reasonable amount of "wrenching" skills could do this. And I got them from DDM tuning.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm running 9006s and the bulb is longer than the stock bulb.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No Mods are necessary. 9005 will plug in just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What I meant was did you trim the bulb to fit the housing of the headlight. I had to do that with a 9006 bulb. I know they plug in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh Sorry..........

I made no mods at all. No trimming nothing.

FYI: the fog lights are really easy also. H11

Reactions: Zig0n

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Sorry..........

I made no mods at all. No trimming nothing.

FYI: the fog lights are really easy also. H11
Thank you for your help, I ordered the 9005 from DDM yesterday afternoon. Hopefully their shipping is pretty quick, can't wait to see how they look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts