Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my HID kit in the mail and installed it this afternoon. It's a 35W 6000K kit with 9006 bulbs. The 9006 bulbs are a bit longer than the stock bulbs, and they required one small tab to be trimmed 2-3mm in order to fit the housing. They look great, and I can't wait to see how they look at night.:cool:

It's just the sensitivity of the camera in this picture making it look this bright. The cut off is clean, they look factory.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd love to do this, can you elaborate in the cutting required and provide a link to the set you purchased please? I certainly would like to do the absolute least modification as possible for anything I install.
Same here!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a simple $50 ebay kit I had shipped from Toronto. I bought them because the seller wasn't far and shipping would be quick.

You will have to drill about a 1" hole in each cap on the back of the headlight assembly to feed the wires through. They supply you with a good rubber seal so it looks clean. The 9006 bulbs supplied with the kit have 3 tabs like the stock bulbs. Only thing is, one of the tabs on the stock bulb is a little smaller than what is on the 9006. I simply snipped a tiny piece off of that tab with a pair of pliers.

This is not my pic, but the bulb on the left resembles the stock fiat bulb. Notice the tab on the top is a little shorter than the tab on the bottom. On the kit I was given, those two tabs were even, so the one had to be trimmed.

After that it fit like a glove.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a good camera so these will have to do.

This is with fogs.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the pic!!!Did you install a relay with this kit?Brigther than the oem bulb?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've always read that putting HIDs into headlight housings designed for conventional lights doesn't work well and is a danger to oncoming drivers at night.

Is this dated news?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've always read that putting HIDs into headlight housings designed for conventional lights doesn't work well and is a danger to oncoming drivers at night.

Is this dated news?
its bad in none projector housing head lights, since the light gets scattered all over.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd say they are noticeably brighter. The stock bulbs were very good as is, but this kit just adds a touch of class to an already stylish car. Makes it look more expensive. The fact that these work with the highbeams as well is excellent. I also like the fact that they don't overpower the fogs. When you're going down a dark road with the lows, highs and fogs on at the same time, the car feels like a spot light!

In town with the lows on, the cut off is so crisp there's no way to tell that the car didn't come with xenon headlamps from the factory. The light output is nicely controlled and evenly distributed.

I like the slightly bluish hue from the 6000K bulbs, it pairs nicely with the Azzurro paint. I wouldn't go any higher in colour temperature. If you're not as adventurous and just want a clean white light, I'd recommend going with a 4300K or 5000K bulb. The great thing about HID's is you can always simply change the bulbs and try a different colour temperature.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I appreciate your detailed comments, I keep thinking I want to get some HIDs but my neighbor saw the car and said he thought it was either a spaceship or a police car with a spotlight last night when I came home, I can't imagine what kind of brightness would come from HIDs if it already looks like he described but I was thinking along the same lines of it looking more expensive which is fine.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd say they are noticeably brighter. The stock bulbs were very good as is, but this kit just adds a touch of class to an already stylish car. Makes it look more expensive. The fact that these work with the highbeams as well is excellent. I also like the fact that they don't overpower the fogs. When you're going down a dark road with the lows, highs and fogs on at the same time, the car feels like a spot light!

In town with the lows on, the cut off is so crisp there's no way to tell that the car didn't come with xenon headlamps from the factory. The light output is nicely controlled and evenly distributed.

I like the slightly bluish hue from the 6000K bulbs, it pairs nicely with the Azzurro paint. I wouldn't go any higher in colour temperature. If you're not as adventurous and just want a clean white light, I'd recommend going with a 4300K or 5000K bulb. The great thing about HID's is you can always simply change the bulbs and try a different colour temperature.
Hoen Xenon match for your fogs, they're identical to the 6K

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: phattbam
1 - 20 of 63 Posts