Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed that somehow EVs get a pass for being “high mile” and “reliable” at mileages that are far far less than the ice counterparts and I think that’s odd. So I wonder who has high mile fiat 500e?
***PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND THAT YOURE AT 50,000 MILES AND GOING STRONG. That is not the point of this thread (I know there will be many who can’t resist and post anyway) please nothing under 150k!
A 1984 yugo could do that with its eyes closed. That’s not high mileage on any vehicle Since the 1930s.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,888 Posts
...the range is now about 55 miles per charge, not the original 85...
Any driver would naturally plug in when the % gets low, & naturally assume that if it's at 0% after 55 miles, then that's now the total range. However other users have reported up to 20 miles of range that was "hidden" because their % gauge was reading 20% low at the bottom end. My own car has about 10 more miles than indicated by the % gauge, since the car will drive until OBD hits 0%, even if the car's own gauge hit 0% 10 miles earlier:
Regain Lost Range for Free!

btw, my 2000 Toyota needed a new engine at 50k miles.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,888 Posts
Maybe tell them you think your something-or-other fell under the seat, & you need into the car to look for it. If they let you in by yourself, it only takes a minute to check & reset the contactors with a $17 OBD dongle & free AlfaOBD app.

·
Registered
2016 500e
215 Posts
Maybe tell them you think your something-or-other fell under the seat, & you need into the car to look for it. If they let you in by yourself, it only takes a minute to check & reset the contactors with a $17 OBD dongle & free AlfaOBD app.
^^^^^

Plus honestly, IT'S YOUR CAR, you have a right to access it, or remove it from the dealership. It sounds like they are being unresponsive and a in person visit is in order anyway. It might be worth seeing if you have other options for a repair shop locally before you go in as well, so a backup plan is to have it taken to anther shop. Wishing you luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey TireShedder
Dealer came back said they ran this and it was able to get car j to “ready mode” but still can’t charge. I thought you ran this check when the car was in ready mode? They are currently speaking to fiat and they have them hunting down a bad wire deep in system. Not the charge cable but another one??

^^^^^

Plus honestly, IT'S YOUR CAR, you have a right to access it, or remove it from the dealership. It sounds like they are being unresponsive and a in person visit is in order anyway. It might be worth seeing if you have other options for a repair shop locally before you go in as well, so a backup plan is to have it taken to anther shop. Wishing you luck!

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,888 Posts
I don't necessarily believe the dealership but IF this is all true it tells us that it WAS a contactor deactivation glitch, & the dealer(s?) didn't know about that.

So they most likely also don't know about ALL of the things that can cause charge failure:
  • Make sure the contactors are active (that's okay for sure in this case, since it's going into "ready" mode)
  • Onboard charge timer can default itself to active, so it must be deactivated in the menu*.
  • Reboot the EVSE (via 30-second unplug or circuit-breaker cycle)
  • Reset the car by plugging into the OEM cord.
* The TIMES seem to be default-resistant, so I set mine to charge "only" from 1:30am til 1am. That way if it does default to "active" it will only prevent charging for half an hour.

If all that fails, check the rest of the items listed here:
Clearing Warning Messages/Error Codes (updated)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m totally confused now. Yes the car is in ready mode. It has gone through a soft reboot of the main battery still won’t charge.

So you’re saying that the fact that the car is in “ready” mode the contactors are working fine?
If they are working then I have to assume the tech did in fact run the alfaobd software and my problem is not the software but something else like the PIM?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,888 Posts
Sorry for being confusing, & please let me know if I still haven't made it clear below:

Your car "died", unable to go into "ready" mode because the contactors became inactive, indicated by no "clunk".

It was towed to a dealership with no results for a few weeks.

You told them how to reactivate the contactors & now it goes into "ready" mode, so the contactors must be working. It should be drivable & it SHOULD also charge, but...

Now it just won't charge, in which case try the following:
  • Deactivate the onboard charge timer, because reboot can sometimes make it default itself to active mode & prevent charging.
  • Reboot the aftermarket EVSE via 30-second unplug or circuit-breaker cycle, because sometimes a 500e won't charge without a fresh EVSE reboot.
  • Plug into the OEM cord, because it can sometimes reset the car's charging system.
If all that fails, check the rest of the items listed here:
Clearing Warning Messages/Error Codes (updated)

·
Registered
43 Posts
It “died” overnight. Charged to 80% then went to a three light goal post.
It drove after this but after I swapped the 5 yr old 12v the car stopped driving. I did most of the “list” but nothing worked. So towed to dealer they have had it a month. Seems to me they some progress
Getting it to ready mode.
They haven’t said if it drives or not though?

So far as I know dealer perform a restart of the main battery and they must have also done the software fix to activate the contactors.

Fiat supposedly has them try
To test some wiring. I thought it could be the cable/port. But dealer said that wasn’t the one fiat had them testing. It must be from hv battery to pim?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2016 500e
215 Posts
The fact it went into Ready mode is Def a step forward. However even though the dealer "did it" it was only because you told them what and how from info here. That imho is not a +1 for the dealer.

If the car is now driveable, just not charging, and it has a good SOC on the drive battery, I would bring the car home if it were me and then start going thru all the various things that ETS has recommended. Some are things a dealer may not know how or be willing to do. But you could do at home yourself. I would not go around driving it and draining the battery way down, just get it home and start going thru the checklists one by one, starting with connecting it to OEM charger on 110V. If after a few days/week of testing and it still is not charging, then maybe take back to dealer for them to really dig into it. That is why not drain drive battery, so you can drive it in there and not have to tow it...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just reread the timer suggestion.
I have always set the timer to start at 11 pm and off at 6 am. And then if I wanted to charge on demand I would deactivate the timers via the button on the dash. What you’re saying is(I think. Sorry I’m a little slow). you don’t really use the timers, but by setting them active from 130 am to 1 am the are in effect always active except for that half hour? It’s interesting because I think I may have deactivated the timers that last time it charged……

electric cars are great until they aren’t…….we absolutely loved the 500e…want it back…..

it’s weird cause even with 89k on the car we had zero range loss until the range went zero…lol. My wife drove about 50 miles a day and we charged every night….

·
Registered
2016 500e
215 Posts
I just reread the timer suggestion.
I have always set the timer to start at 11 pm and off at 6 am. And then if I wanted to charge on demand I would deactivate the timers via the button on the dash. What you’re saying is(I think. Sorry I’m a little slow). you don’t really use the timers, but by setting them active from 130 am to 1 am the are in effect always active except for that half hour? It’s interesting because I think I may have deactivated the timers that last time it charged……

electric cars are great until they aren’t…….we absolutely loved the 500e…want it back…..

it’s weird cause even with 89k on the car we had zero range loss until the range went zero…lol. My wife drove about 50 miles a day and we charged every night….
Yeah def check and verify the timers are off and even set them as ETS mentions, just to be sure. Basically it is telling it to start charging 1:30am, and stop 1am. So charge for 23.5hrs, that way if the schedule setting gets flipped on by a reset it will still charge anytime during the day it is plugged in. Otherwise if you set if for start 7pm end 6am, tit will never charge for the dealer when they try it during working hours...

Yes I love my 500e, it is my 1st EV. Sure there are things I would change on it, but those are personal preference things, it is a great vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I tried the oem charger before i towed it to them. All I got was goal posts. I supposed I could just leave it plugged in but not what the difference is. Goal post is Goal post…..

1 - 20 of 81 Posts