Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the little 500 do on the highway? I drive a fair amount of 65mph (I go 70mph) divided highway and usually stay in the right lane. How does the Fiat 500 perform on roads like that at speeds like that? What kind of highway MPG could I expect?

Thanks!

·
Registered
874 Posts
i have to say i took the 500 for a road trip last weekend. it was only 100 miles but all highway at 75-85mph and it rode and handled the highway like my 06 dodge charger (that i traded for the 500) i was getting about 35mpg at 85mph

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have to say i took the 500 for a road trip last weekend. it was only 100 miles but all highway at 75-85mph and it rode and handled the highway like my 06 dodge charger (that i traded for the 500) i was getting about 35mpg at 85mph
So thats good right? 85...wow, I bet I would do a little better at 70.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My wife does about 80 miles in distance a day. 90% highway. When we first got the car, it was a bit worrisome because she had a 250 hp AWD car before this. Once you get used to the capabilities of the car, it's great. Don't let the hp rating worry you, the car has pep. The first thing I did is lower it with a spring change and that made it a 1000 time better. Mileage wise I can average 40 mpg if I drive calmly, but neither of us do because the car begs to be pushed, especially with the mods listed in my signature.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wail on my Sport, I sit at 80-95 on the highway, and I'm averaging 34 mpg over 8000 miles. I couldn't be happier with this figure.

It was a bit unsettling at first to feel the sometimes jouncy and darty nature of the 500, but this is a product of the car's short wheelbase and after a week of driving I no longer noticed it. In December I tore through a 2000 mile round trip jaunt down the east coast and the car was a pleasure to drive - I am constantly amazed by its acceptable passing power despite an "anemic" engine, to the point where I have never felt in danger due to the car being too slow when merging, entering a highway, etc. This was my greatest fear, and it was never realized. Also, there has been some criticism that the 500 gets easily buffeted by wind, but I have not noticed this to be any worse than any other car I've owned.

I do require a slight bit of acclimation when getting back into the 500 after driving other cars, but again it's quickly gone after a few days of driving.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned a alot of small cars, but few slow cars. I guess the slowest would be my 1993 Mazda Miata. I also ride a motorcycle, I guess thats given me good experience with feeling vulnerable and buffeted :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have owned a alot of small cars, but few slow cars. I guess the slowest would be my 1993 Mazda Miata. I also ride a motorcycle, I guess thats given me good experience with feeling vulnerable and buffeted :)
The 500 is the slowest car I've owned by far. It does modify my driving behavior, however, since I can't just authoritatively pass another car without downshifting or putting effort it, but anything that slows me down is likely a good thing.

The only time I felt anything close to vulnerability was when I was sandwiched inside 3 trucks for a few miles on 95 North in North Carolina:

But given that I was dumb enough to pull the phone up and take a pic, I guess I didn't really feel particularly vulnerable. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to enjoy my motorcycle, but now, not so much. I feel like everyone is out to get me, and I drive accordingly. Maybe this would help with the Fiat :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey bigcanoe,

the girlfriend and I rented a 500 Sport in Florida, we drove all over the state, we're talkin from cape coral, down to miami, to key largo... and the little car held its own, we were averaging 38-39 mpg then, and loved it!!

I liked the car so much that I came home and purchased one for my self! I regularly drive on the Highway between Toronto and Brampton, and depending on my driving style I get great gas milage, especially when compared to my last two Japanese v6's boats, car gets up to speed easily and is fun as **** to drive!

-Hap

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
I have driven slower, and smaller cars, on the highway then the 500. This little car handles wonderful on 2 lane, and 4 lane roads. Tracks great. 43-44 MPG's, coming back from Oklahoma, a couple weeks ago. Very quiet, and comfortable. Only issue I have is when the sunroof is open, there is lots of wind noise, at highway speeds. Large truck don't buffet it along 2 lane roads. Great road car for the money.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've done three trips to NC from DC in my car and think it handles great. My last trip I was following along with other cars and didn't realize I was almost going 90 and the MPG Range guage didn't really drop that low for going so fast. Only thing I hate is the small gas tank and having to refil but I'd rather refil $35 than what my older cars used to take on that same trip.

I hate putting miles on my car (at 5,600 and just bought it 1/22/12) but already looking forward to more trips either to Ohio or maybe even Georgia or Florida.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
The MPG's are real sensitive to your speed in the 500. 55-60 mph, you can get the mid 40's, flat highway. Played with speed on our trip. I usually drive really fast. Poor gas milage. Average highway to work everyday is 33-34 mpg's. Over 7,000 miles on the car now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drive 70 (by cruise), mostly highway in my Ford Mustang, and I get 26 consistently. I guess I need to decide if its worth moving to the 500, from a fuel perspective.

·
Registered
825 Posts
No problem whatsoever. I drive 100 miles round trip for my daily commute. 90+ on the interstate. I feel no more vulnerable in this car than any other I've owned. I don't feel it being buffeted or bounced around. It does just fine.

I drove it on a longer trip, cruised at 74mph and averaged around 42mpg. On my daily drive, I go 62mph and average 46mpg.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wail on my Sport, I sit at 80-95 on the highway, and I'm averaging 34 mpg over 8000 miles. I couldn't be happier with this figure.

It was a bit unsettling at first to feel the sometimes jouncy and darty nature of the 500, but this is a product of the car's short wheelbase and after a week of driving I no longer noticed it. In December I tore through a 2000 mile round trip jaunt down the east coast and the car was a pleasure to drive - I am constantly amazed by its acceptable passing power despite an "anemic" engine, to the point where I have never felt in danger due to the car being too slow when merging, entering a highway, etc. This was my greatest fear, and it was never realized. Also, there has been some criticism that the 500 gets easily buffeted by wind, but I have not noticed this to be any worse than any other car I've owned.

I do require a slight bit of acclimation when getting back into the 500 after driving other cars, but again it's quickly gone after a few days of driving.
Wanted to thank Chris for this response, and BigCanoe for the post. When I first drove on the freeways here in Los Angeles, I was also a little unsettled by the jouncy and darty nature of the 500, and I mentioned this to Boris at 500Madness. I said "I felt safer in my 2002 Honda, I felt like I was bouncing around in the 500" and he said "The Fiat 500 is very safe, don't worry. It's as safe as your Honda." I chalked it up to the newness of the car and driving to a new location, since I noticed that I don't feel unsettled when I drive on freeways to familiar places. But I'm glad to read at least one other person felt that way.

I've never had to fear that the car would be too slow for merging, partly because the freeways are so congested here, but there is one unbusy on-ramp where I used to slow down in my Honda (because of the somewhat steep curve) and I never found it necessary to slow down in my Fiat, so I don't, and it's fun!

Regarding street/city driving: this may be in my head, but I feel that cars lunge at the Fiat from the right. I've never noticed cars inch towards me so much in the Honda, but while I'm in the Fiat, these crazy drivers come so close to me when they are trying to get in front or behind me. It's so annoying. I'm probably not describing it well, but it's as if they don't see me, or that they do but they want to get closer.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Regarding street/city driving: this may be in my head, but I feel that cars lunge at the Fiat from the right. I've never noticed cars inch towards me so much in the Honda, but while I'm in the Fiat, these crazy drivers come so close to me when they are trying to get in front or behind me. It's so annoying. I'm probably not describing it well, but it's as if they don't see me, or that they do but they want to get closer.
I have these on all four corners of my car to avoid such problems. I think the colors sometimes confuses them.

Reactions: Frosty_Ne

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
How does the little 500 do on the highway? I drive a fair amount of 65mph (I go 70mph) divided highway and usually stay in the right lane. How does the Fiat 500 perform on roads like that at speeds like that? What kind of highway MPG could I expect?

Thanks!
I took a road trip yesterday that was a roundtrip total of approximately 355 miles. I did it on one tank of gas. Avg mpg was 39-40. If I'd stayed at 65 mph in both directions it would have probably been higher. Have the 5 spd MT. If you look at the 'MPG thread' you can see the details.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i live in the east side of michigan and take frequent road trips across the state to the west side.
if i fill my tank before leaving, i can make the trip there and back on that tank and still have enough gas left over to drive around the city for a bit.
on my last road trip i found out that if you set the cruise to 100mph, you get 30mpg. id like to see any other car do this.

The only time I felt anything close to vulnerability was when I was sandwiched inside 3 trucks for a few miles on 95 North in North Carolina:

But given that I was dumb enough to pull the phone up and take a pic, I guess I didn't really feel particularly vulnerable. :D
im sure you could have fit through that gap.

Only issue I have is when the sunroof is open, there is lots of wind noise, at highway speeds.
that will happen in any car, its not the 500 thats the problem.

I drive 70 (by cruise), mostly highway in my Ford Mustang, and I get 26 consistently. I guess I need to decide if its worth moving to the 500, from a fuel perspective.
when you have a rustang as a daily driver, anything is worth switching to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts