Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the 935 mile drive from CT to SC, I washed the 500 and threw a coat of Collinite 845 on it to seal it for the coming winter months. It was Dec. 24, and the leaves had fallen with a vengeance the night before which made for a cool effect with the 14mm. I do wish that I'd swapped the stock Sport wheels back on but given the ice I encountered when I set out at 5:45 a.m. the morning before, the snow tires were the smart driving decision.

Distortion 1:

(Corner) Distortion 2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice photos. Why are your side moldings unpainted?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice photos. Why are your side moldings unpainted?
Dealer growing pains. The side moldings were ordered with the car and I was called a a few weeks after delivery to return to have them installed. I picked up the car that night and noticed nothing until the next morning, and the dealer tripped over itself apologizing and promising to make it right. Another painted set is waiting to be put on, but I have to give the car up for another day for the install. Since they don't clash with the Grigio too badly it hasn't been a super priority, I'm sure if I had a lighter colored car it would be different.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ah. Seems I recall that happened to someone else as well. In any case, the 2nd and 3rd shot came out really well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@#$%&#! I dicked around with the font settings and couldn't get it back, sorry for the change.

Ah. Seems I recall that happened to someone else as well. In any case, the 2nd and 3rd shot came out really well.
Thanks bruh man, appreciate it.

Here are some cell phone pics from the trip down:

Not only did the 500 fit a week’s worth of luggage and Christmas presents, but there was enough room to give the dogs the entire back seat where they could do their little dog thing.

And some from the way back:

At the end of the journey, after driving from 6 a.m. until about 8 p.m. I was about 25 minutes from the house when I hit a standstill on 15, a two lane highway running north/south. A truck had ventured onto the road where none are allowed, and had blasted through an overpass where it was too tall for the bridge above it. It was total rapturous bliss and I wasn't incensed at all by the hour delay at the end of a 14 hour trip! Nope, not at all.

Even now I hope that guy dies slowly in a freak grease fire accident, it's all good.

Passing power is acceptable at highway speeds, and trust me, that’s hefty praise from me for a 100 hp car. The car does not struggle to get by a slower cars and will ease by it with authority, despite a few times when I bit off more than the 500 could chew and I had to cancel the pass. I had no problem keeping up with much faster cars as long as they did not decide to drop a clowning on my ***, and I pretty much lived at 80-95 mph the whole way down.

The car’s computer had me at:

1941.4 miles
33.6 mpg average economy
63 mph average speed
30h 43m total travel time

Not bad at all considering how much time the car spent winding towards redline! I had kept the mileage to a 36 mpg average on the way down, until the final two hours of the trip at which point I kicked the pace up a notch when I hit a pod of fast-traveling cars. We tore through the top of SC sitting around 100 mph, and thankfully the road remained straight pretty much throughout the duration since the car does not feel supremely confident on its 15″ snow tires at that speed.

Comfort-wise, I enjoyed the drive. The driving position is natural for me and I like the way my hands fall directly on the wheel. My one concern was the lower transmission pod and the way my leg rests against it while driving, and at the end of the trip my leg definitely felt it, but this was after 13 hours in the car so I canot really complain.

One thing I did not expect was the reaction to the car on the road. People would let me pass and then surge back up to the side of the car to check it out. They mustn’t see too many Fiats ’round those parts, as the further south I got the more interest people showed. I noticed a lot of people pointing, no doubt with a “hey that’s the J-Lo car!” etc., and I admit that it was cool to be driving such a novelty. Even cooler was that it drove so well.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your car? I'd like to see the color you have.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
that was my favorite one.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Great great great pics!!! Thank you for sharing with us. You have an awesome 500! What do you think of the idea of making a nicely upholstered [matching seat color] wrap around cushion for the transmission tunnel for long trips. Then at least the leg will rest up against a soft surface rather than a hard service?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that was my favorite one.
Me too breaux some real ne plus ultra magnum opus stuff right there cutty say can't hang say seven up.

Great great great pics!!! Thank you for sharing with us. You have an awesome 500! What do you think of the idea of making a nicely upholstered [matching seat color] wrap around cushion for the transmission tunnel for long trips. Then at least the leg will rest up against a soft surface rather than a hard service?
Thanks michaelo. That part of the car is weird for me. I usually do not find it to be uncomfortable even after somewhat long drives, but then there are days when I just can't get a comfortable leg position no matter what I try. I'm 6'3" with tree trunk legs and I originally assumed that area would be the deal breaker for me when it came to the car, and I'm still surprised that it's not more of a concern. I don't know if a cushion would really help that much since it would yield even less room despite being softer, but I'd definitely be interested in the idea of such a thing. After 13 hours in the car, I felt it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Beautiful car and pics. Sorry if I missed it, but what wheels are those in the first few pics?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I speak jive!

Kewl story bro, tell it again.

Just kidding. You've got photog skills. I do not.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Southa say i wone say? Pretegay I get the same ol same ol.

Some honky mofo be messin my old lady? Gotta to be running upside his head. Cole gotta be!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts