Fiat 500 Forum banner

Home charging, different charging levels - what are the currents?

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Polygonwood 
#1 ·
First: This is regarding the home charging with a normal home socket - NOT a chargebox. Please refrain from any comment saying "you are recommended to use a chargebox" or "why don't you install a chargebox". There are good reasons not to at this very moment.

In my garage (Sweden), we are two cars sharing 13A for our two cars. I have a Tesla and I have this Fiat500e. In order not to break the fuse in the garage, we must not together go above 13A.

In the Tesla - it is super easy: the charging current (A) can be restricted from 24A down to 5A, in increments of 1A. This is a visible setting on the charging page.

In the Fiat 500e - in the EV pages, there is something called "levels" marked 1 to 5 to put down the current (A). It is totally unclear what number of A these different "levels" are though! By experience, I have noticed that I have to go for "level 2" not to break the fuse, so that is probably 7A or below.

Now - the Fiat GUI programmers have made it extra unclear, by using "levels" as description in this setting, since "level 2, 3 and 4" ALSO are used within the EV industry describing different types of charging (especially in the US I believe) - see here: https://www.cars.com/articles/what-is-level-1-2-3-charging-437766/ This is something completely different...

PLEASE SOMEONE FROM FIAT READ THIS AND EXPLAIN:

a) What is the current let through to the car on your "level 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5" respectively?
b) Please do CHANGE this in your next software revision so you actually show what current this represents. Today it is super confusing.

NOTHING is referenced to this in your handbook or online. Anywhere. I have searched. And searched. And searched. And asked at my dealership.

See less See more
#5 ·
Every time I charge the car the charging level is automatically set to level 1. I want to charge at a higher level so every time I have to change it manually to a higher level (which I tend to forget). Is anyone of you aware of a method to change this in settings so that I don't have to change it every time?

#6 ·
One can change the charging level though the Vehicle, Electric, Charging Level (I may not have got the names exactly right) dialog on the infotainment display.

I've always found the charging level stay at the last level I set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.