Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when my block heater was installed they gave me a Lounge loaner that had an auto-dimming mirror. Fiat doesn't offer a Homelink mirror, but the auto-dimmer wires up the same way. So it got me thinking: I can get a homelink auto-dimming mirror on Amazon for $160, and they're easy to install if the overhead light fixture has the right wires present. They need three wires: ground, continuous +12, and ignition-switched +12. Will my 500 Sport (no sunroof) have those three up in the light assembly already, or would I have to run a new wire for one of those? The lights should have a good ground, and presumably a continuous +12, although maybe not given their funky controls. But the question is, will there be an ignition-switched +12 up there for anything?

·
Registered
700 Posts
i think so because the microphone for the blue and me is up there and that only works when the engine is on ...correct me if im wrong..just got my pop home and want to do the same thing but want an orange display on the compass to match the interior colors

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
i think so because the microphone for the blue and me is up there and that only works when the engine is on ...correct me if im wrong..just got my pop home and want to do the same thing but want an orange display on the compass to match the interior colors
Actually the car doesn't need to be on for it to work, at least I am pretty certain I have a few times spoken via BT without cranking the car or after having turned it off.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Tweak is correct, i finish conversations all the time with my car off and even the key out of the ignition. Im not sure how long it lasts but apparently i was told it stays on for a certain length of time after the car is turned off.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
yes, Blue & Me stays on after the car is off BUT will turn off after a while. I was talking with my wife and the conversation continued for what seemed like a couple minutes after I turned the ignition 'off'. then, without warning......she was still talking but she was coming through my phone, not the car speaker.

I'm guessing about 90 seconds. but still, I would think that should be 'ok' for your Homelink Mirror installation.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I think I have spoken with the car off, key not in the ignition and it has lasted several minutes, possibly up to and maybe even beyond about five minutes. I know the radio stays on either ten or twenty minutes depending no how you have the option set. Earlier tonight I spoke to someone for over three minutes and to be realistic it was probably closer to five - eight minutes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been looking at the homelink mirrors for my Subaru Baja. Ebay has used ones for less than $100.

I personally think these will be too big for the Fiat but am interested in sourcing an auto-dim one from the lounge. I'll keep looking!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts