Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until the past few weeks, I really didn't know anything about Fiats other than the fact that we've rented them a few times in Europe on vacation. I had heard that they were starting to sell them in North America, but never really looked into them. Then a couple weeks ago, a friend was mentioning looking at the Scion IQ. While I was on the Scion site, they very nicely put up a comparison of the IQ to similar cars. As I was reading, I couldn't understand why they'd done it--it seemed to me, the Fiat was beating the Scion out in almost every category!

Thus I started researching (aka obsessing) about the Fiat 500. My husband and I went to test drive a couple last weekend, and I think we're getting ready to buy. We've picked out an Azzurro Sport with a sunroof (we're both pretty short so it's ok) and the Safety & Convenience package. Neither of us are huge fans of the standard cloth seats, and here in St. Louis we consider heated seats a must-have, so we'll be talking to the dealer about updating to Katzkin leather (light gray + pacific blue) and a heated seat package.

I'm already so excited about all the custom options out there. I love the chrome details and can't wait to add more. It's like jewelry for the car. Hopefully I'll be updating with pictures soon!

Oh, and I also hope it won't take me long to get the hang of a manual transmission :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I love my Azzurro Pop Cabrio with a manual. Havent had it 2 weeks yet. I just got a comment on the color from the parking attendant here at work, he thinks it looks great and doesnt show the dirt like a black car.

Do it, you will be happy with the car. And knowing how to row your own gears is a good skill to have.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey it's Ciao Fiat from NJ (Bob). I was on the fence about buying the car for about 6 months or so. I was obessing about the car so much friends start telling me to "buy the damm car already" . So now I have a Nero Sport 5 speed manual and just love it. It's so much fun to drive and I am getting great mileage (mid 30s hope to better that after the car breaks in).

So get your self a Cinquecento and have a blast!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I'll be picking it up on Saturday! The dealer is adding all the chrome parts I wanted, and ordering the leather seats. In the meantime, it's just up to me to find the title for my old car so I can trade it in. I also have lined up a friend to teach me to drive it Saturday afternoon so I won't have to learn from my husband.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
be excited. It's going to be fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We picked up our sweet new Sport this morning. The dealer got the chrome gas cover, side mirrors, and hood spear installed. Now we're waiting to hear when the Katzkin leather seats arrive so we can get them installed.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Fiat 500 Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500 Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500

I also got out for a driving lesson in a nice empty parking lot, and while I'm not feeling terribly confident about street driving, I'm getting a feel for how things work. Yay! More driving practice to come tomorrow. In the meantime, my husband is driving us around.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats from one Azzurro Manual Sport (no sun roof for me though) female owner to another! Once you get the hang of shifting the gears yourself, you will never want to go back to auto. :D Be patient while learning and get lots of stopping/starting on hill practice (once you've mastered that, everything else is a breeze). Your new baby is a beauty - very happy for you. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on new baby. I just got my Nero Gucci on Wednesday. I got a 6 speed auto though. I have a mini cooper S thats a manual, while fun to drive, sometimes I would rather just relax and have the shifting done for me. Now I gotta get that chrome gas cover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our dealer was so pleased with the look of the gas cover that he told us we should expect to see it on a lot more of the cars he sells because he's going to start adding it on. I'm just tickled because they made it so easy to get just what I wanted.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Don't forget to turn the HILL START feature ON. it's in the main menu of the dash. it will auto applies the breaks on a hill to make it easier for a beginner to get going with out rolling back.

I turned mine on just to try it and I actually like it even though I don't need it. it's a bit of a safety precaution.

Will def help you build confidence!

Sent from my Argento 500

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hill start is a great feature for a beginner, but I found that the brakes would interfere a bit too often in normal driving. I have mine switched off. I'd probably use it if I lived in a more hilly area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts