Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, negotiated and got all the numbers last night. Slept on it. Gonna pull the trigger.

Any advice on first things to do/look for before I leave the dealership?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I work at a VW dealership. One major thing is what we call EYE CARE. take a very close look at the car you're buying, go over the inside and out to look for any possible damage that could have occured during the shipping, during the pre delivery inspection and during the detailing ( on that note of detailing, do NOT take the car until it is spotless) our dealership takes that very seriously and before a customer takes delivery, the car is washed/waxed and interior is detailed. When signing papers, make sure no random fees were added to makeup for whatever discount they gave you. Don't make a deal based on monthly payments,Make sure you agree on an "all in price" and then from there tell them you're not paying a penny over that. Once you go into the finance office they will ask you for extended warranties, paint protection, under coating etc etc. Unless the warranty they are offering is a genuine Fiat warranty, dont bother with third party crap.

Enjoy your new 500, you will love it

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Undercoating - Made me think of Fargo

So what is exactly included in the factory warranty? 4 years roadside assistance (because no spare) 3 years free service (what is scheduled in that 3 years anyway?)

my dealer has not really mentioned any of this. He did say offhand that there is a lifetime warranty available.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
103 Posts
You will not be getting 3 years free service. That ended Jan. 3rd. Hope you have a great experience with the car. My Sport is scheduled to arrive at the studio on 2/2. Verde Oliva with auto trans.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Get the spare tire and jack. Also buy a new tire asap. I had a flat that was unrepairable, so I was on the spare for a couple of days. Tirerack has a 6 month waiting time on a new tire. I was lucky that my dealer had one left.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sucks about the service. Where do you store the spare? Especially in the 500c

Also, that is crazy on the tires, 6 months? What is included in the tire repair kit?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That sucks about the service. Where do you store the spare? Especially in the 500c
What is included in the tire repair kit?
The same place you store it on the regular 500, UNDERNEATH THE CAR. Uses a hand operated winch to lower the spare to the ground for use. However, the tire you replace with the spare will have to go inside the car as it won't fit underneath where the spare was stored. Spare is one of those spacesaver tires...good for 50 miles at max 50 mph.

The tire repair kit (I am assuming this is instead of the spare) consists of a 12 volt air compressor and a bottle of GOOP that is injected by the compressor to try and seal a puncture. This MAY, read usually, causes problems with the TPMS sensor inside the tire should you have to use it, plus it won't work in the event of sidewall damage and/or in the case of a tread cut or if the object causing the puncture didn't stay in the tire.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dealer just confirmed that the car I want has a spare. (temp I am sure) He also confirmed that there is no more free service.
Is there a search feature on this forum? I was looking to find all the info I could on the convertible before I commit

·
Registered
182 Posts
Domdil really said it all well. We are about 7000 miles into owning our 500c 5 spd and enjoy the car as much now as day one. You will love the cabriolet top. I do understand the concern others have voiced about having a spare, and yet another full size spare tire in case you irreparably damage one of your tires and can't find a replacement. I personally have only had 1 tire in the last 25 years destroyed and not be repairable and probably would not worry about it. That includes 15 years of living in farm country and driving snow, fire roads in the mountains, etc. I for certain would not personally carry it (the full size replacement tire) around with me. The car is fairly light and the tires should hold up very well against just about anything but the pot hole from ****. I will let you know by the way if I just messed with my good tire karma and end up with all four tires totally destroyed tomorrow due to hitting a massive pothole :) The 36 month free service is a nice value add, but would not have factored into my buying the car. Oil changes, air filters, brake pads, etc. are just not that expensive and the truly expensive parts are covered under warranty. I also have AAA, so that helps a bit, although I don't recall ever using that service either. Hey, good luck. Hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is a great question "Goes".

Hey FiatCares, are you out there and can clear this up? What exactly is included in way of warranty, roadside assistance, maintenance, etc. for 2012?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a Pop on 1-28-12 and it did not have the maintenance program, but does have the roadside assistance and the 4 50K warranty.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My dealer just confirmed that the car I want has a spare. (temp I am sure) He also confirmed that there is no more free service.
Is there a search feature on this forum? I was looking to find all the info I could on the convertible before I commit
GoesLikeStink:

Yes, the free maintenance (3/36), alternate transportation (4/50) and trip interruption (4/unlimited) plan expired January 10, 2012. For 2012, new vehicles purchased after that date, clients will still get a 4 yr /50000 mile warranty with Emergency (Roadside) Assistance. Extended warranties for coverages beyond the standard manufactures warranty are available for purchase through Service Contracts.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
GoesLikeStink:
Yes, the free maintenance (3/36), alternate transportation (4/50) and trip interruption (4/unlimited) plan expired January 10, 2012. For 2012, new vehicles purchased after that date, clients will still get a 4 yr /50000 mile warranty with Emergency (Roadside) Assistance. Extended warranties for coverages beyond the standard manufactures warranty are available for purchase through Service Contracts.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
GoesLikeStink:
I musta missed this by days. What if I had a deposit on a car before the 10th but picked it up after that?

Fiat 500 Argento Sport

·
Registered
23 Posts
What matters is the day you completed the purchase. Didn't they have you sign a waiver acknowledging that you weren't receiving the maintenance? We have all our customers sign a waiver.... because unless the window sticker has been replaced, it says maintenance is included. Could be an interesting problem for your dealership if they aren't having buyers sign a waiver.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I musta missed this by days. What if I had a deposit on a car before the 10th but picked it up after that?

Fiat 500 Argento Sport
Fiat49:

A deposit doesn't ensure that you would be purchasing the vehicle. You would have had to take ownership of the vehicle prior to that date of expiration. However, if it was incorrectly offered on your monroney label, and you were sold the vehicle with the promise of that maintenance and trip interruption package, I can look into providing it as goodwill.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Fiat49:

A deposit doesn't ensure that you would be purchasing the vehicle. You would have had to take ownership of the vehicle prior to that date of expiration. However, if it was incorrectly offered on your monroney label, and you were sold the vehicle with the promise of that maintenance and trip interruption package, I can look into providing it as goodwill.
PM sent. Picked up car on Jan 19th

Sent from my Argento 500

1 - 20 of 44 Posts