Fiat 500 Forum banner

HOV decals for Used 500e

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  abenusa 
#1 ·
Hey All, I'm planning to purchase a used 500e (2016 model). Here's the question:

Is it better to get one with intact decals, or get my own decals after I purchase?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Here are the rules: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/current-clean-air-vehicle-decal

The basic summary (refer to the rules for specific cases):
  • If the car had never been issued an HOV sticker, you can apply for new one that will expire 1/1/2023.
  • If the car had been issued an HOV sticker previously:
    • If it has a green or white sticker, it is already expired (and you cannot apply for a new one)
    • If it has a red sticker, it will expire 1/1/2022
    • If it has a purple sticker, it will expire 1/1/2023
If a 2016 500e has a sticker that was issued soon after lease/purchase, it would be an expired white sticker. Your best hope is to find one that has never been issued a sticker.

#4 ·
Thanks

Thanks RKW! This is unfortunately, but there is one HOV benefit that does not expire until 2025...one that I covet greatly. This is the ability to park for free in Santa Monica. In case anyone is interested:

On February 12th, 2019, the City Council approved proposed changes to extend the free metered parking privilege to expired white and green decal holders through the duration of the Clean Air Vehicle program, which is set to expire in 2025. Properly displayed PURPLE, RED, GREEN and WHITE Clean Air Vehicle decals & ZEV decals allow you to park at any on-street, metered parking space in Santa Monica without charge for the maximum amount of time allowed by that meter. In other words, if you're at a 2-hour meter, you can park there free for 2 hours-but beyond that, you're subject to ticketing for overstaying your welcome. Please always look for any other restrictions. Clean Air Vehicle decals are issued by the state of California DMV.
Paul, this information is from
https://www.smgov.net/departments/ose/categories/transportation/electric_vehicles.aspx

#6 ·
or brakes
There you are wrong. You will still eventually have to replace brake pads, and possibly rotors on this car.

Though.... it seems this entire comment is off topic. We get it, you love your car, we love it to or we wouldn't be here. but I swear there's not a single thread on the 500e board without a slightly, or way, off topic comment from you in it.

#7 · (Edited)
Okay, I'll try to dial that down. I guess I do tend to veer off the path, especially when someone else diverges a bit.

EDIT: Oops. I had a subconscious feeling I wasn't THAT far off the topic (500e benefits), so I scrolled back up to check. I now remember that when replying I was thinking that as a potential owner, the original poster might not "love it too", & might not be aware of all the other perks besides the HOV sticker.

#10 ·
If there hasn't already been a separate thread on that, which we can revive for an update (more miles on the cars now), maybe we should start one.

I sometimes manage to do an entire roundtrip commute without activating the hydraulic brakes at all*, so MINE really might last... well, not technically forever, but at least until after I'm dead!

*Ask me how in the other thread ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.