Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found this on. The HIR2's

Want to get great illumination without extra heat, wiring upgrades, relays, transformers, and blue tint? Want to SEE better at night instead of HEARING a bunch of dubious chatter about xenon-filled, over-wattage, blue-tinted bling-bling bulbs that are supposedly "just like HIDs"? Want a bulb where you can have a simple swap into a 9005 or 9006 socket and maintain the correct filament placement for a perfect light pattern, instead of causing glare and scattered, diffused light? Want to save hundreds of dollars over the cost of retrofitting an illegal, bootleg HID system? Then you want these Halogen Infrared Reflecting bulbs.

These HIR bulbs are a unique product, the only bulbs available that use the research technology that General Electric patented in 2000 (patent number 6,087,775). It was GE's goal to create a bulb that produced 75% of the light output of HID headlights at 25% of the cost. GE sells HIR bulbs for residential lighting and specialized projectors, but decided to stay out of the automotive market and licensed this technology to a division of Toshiba. In fact, Toshiba and GE are among the few companies in the world with the expertise to engineer and build this product. These bulbs attain light levels 75% to 110% brighter than stock as a result of an engineering process that deposits multiple, yet almost invisible, layers of semi-reflective coating on the surface of a specially shaped quartz bulb. This coating ( a titania/silica, zinc oxide/silica, zirconia/silica, silicon nitride/silica, and titania/magnesium fluoride tantalam/silica multi-layer dielectric, according to the patent) reflects a portion of the infrared energy emitted by the filament back onto the filament, causing it to glow brighter and emit more light from the uncoated forward portion of the bulb. Although the filament gets hotter, the glass does not. IT GENERATES NO MORE HEAT THAN A REGULAR HALOGEN BULB, AND IT DRAWS THE SAME WATTAGE AND AMPERAGE AS THE STOCK 9006 BULB IT REPLACES

Fiat 500 Argento Sport

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
According to the owners manual you got with the car, you have to pull back the fender well liner to get access to the bulbs. There is a panel you can remove for the turn signal/DRL but i don't think you can get to the fog bulbs from there.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
No help??? Want to change to
yellow bulbs?

Sent from my Argento 500
Go to Amazon.com or do a google search for Nokya Hyper Yellow or just Nokya and you should get serveral wattages and places that sell these very popular bulbs. The standard fogs are 55W. I plan on upgrading mine to 80W when I change to yellow.

Bulb type is H11 as noted earlier.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I worry going up in wattage may cause heat problems. I did this once in a SER and the harness melted.

Sent from my Argento 500
Quite possible. Wasn't suggesting YOU do it, just stating what I plan to do. The Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs come in the H11, 55W standard wattage as well.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
H11 12V 55W Golden Yellow Fog Light Bulbs 3000K 2 Pcs Halogen Xenon $12.18

Color: Golden Yellow
Package Content: 2 x H11 Foglight Bulbs
3000K Color temperature
Head Lamp Beam: Fog light
Wattage: 55W
Power:12V Drawing input
Prongs: 2 (Please check with your bulb socket before purchase)
Easy Installation: Plug In and Replace Stock Light Bulbs

Modification: No Needed

http://www.p-buy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=15147

·
Registered
433 Posts
to remove the fender liner, its like 6 screws on one side and 7 on the other.

you don't need to remove your wheels but it you probably want to angle them inward depending on what side you are on and it helps to have a jointed or stubby screwdriver.

also, 2500k bulbs are going to be more yellow than 2800 or 3000s. good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts