Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I chose not to get sat-nav since my Andoid phone does a great job of that. I also like to have other things easy to access and view on my phone while on the road. I know Blue&Me does a lot of cool stuff, but I'm pretty sure I'll need a good way to hold my phone in a visible and accessible way.

If you're doing the same thing, what kind of mount/holder do you use? Also, do you like it, or would you prefer something different? Why?

Photos of your setup or links to products similar to yours, or what you would prefer or plan to get, are much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm looking into this as well, in my current car i have my Thunderbolt in the OEM mount which is in landscape mode, but i'll be looking into a universal mount to have in in portrait mode in the fiat and i wanna mount it just to the right of the tack/speedo . can't figure out how to secure it to the dash yet, since the windshield is too far.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Here is something from ProClip, but blocks the vent, i wanna mount it between the stereo and the speedo . without permanently destroying the dash with glue.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! ProClip is the brand I got for my Caravan. I've had it so many years I'd forgotten the brand. :) Thanks for the reminder!
The mount I have for my van also blocks one of the air vents, but it hasn't been a problem. In fact, for more recent high tech phones that warm up a little when used and charged/discharged rapidly, as you would when using turn-by-turn sat-nav, having it on the vent can be a good thing to keep the phone cool. :)

I'll have to give that some thought, especially as the holder I have could be transferred to the Fiat, and I'd only have to get the mount.

I will say this, though, I love the brand. The mount in my van has been rock solid and remarkably versatile. It would be cool if they came out with more mounts for the Fiat, though, so that there are other choices. Hopefully they're developing some more, but need more time for testing and such.

So far, I've seen many universal mounts. Some suction to the windshield, some glue/screw to the dash. Some clip to the vents and some sit in your cup holder. I even saw one that was a huge weight and one of those high-grip pads... what kind of idiot wants something like that loose on their dashboard? Yeesh!

I'd also like to avoid blocking the vent, though, if at all possible. I've also never liked ones that suction to the window, or stick/screw to the dash.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I keep my phone in the oval pocket in front of the cupholders. fits perfectly there and since I use the B&M, I've not had a need to pick it up while driving. if I do, then I do it at a stoplight.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well, us android user need our phones within reach and in line of sight since we run stuff like Navi and Pandora.

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The one that has best caught my attention is this one...

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=44&product_id=103

Currently I have the phone on my lap, between the legs, in the holster, or on the passenger seat, whichever it happens to be at the given time since I mainly just use the B&M in the car. For nav uses I may snag the linked item though.
the prob with that that first it installs on the passenger side and second its barely as high as the shifter so every time you have to look at what song is playing on Pandora or to skip a song you'll have to look down and if you're running Nav and coming to a confusing intersection or a fork it'll be even more dangerous.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That floor mount looks nice and secure. I'd need something higher up for sat-nav uses, though. It looks like anything up high would have to be dash, window, or vent mount, eh?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I suppose it will depend on how high you raise your seat, at 15inches the mount is pretty tall. Seems like it'd sit around the height of the shifter roughly, other option might be a vent mounted solution. I am not sure how well the vents in the 500 would hold up with the weight though, the vents feel a little easily broken and I have a somewhat large and heavy phone. (HTC Evo 3D with Otterbox)

Example to consider:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Luxmo-universal-mount-holder-adjustable/dp/B000KNJEV8[/ame]
Plus at about $6 bucks no big loss if it doesn't workout.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That floor mount looks nice and secure. I'd need something higher up for sat-nav uses, though. It looks like anything up high would have to be dash, window, or vent mount, eh?
Would be really cool if the dash cover could be taken on and and a mount platform could be secured under the cover and the mount base would come out where the dash meets the right side of the speedo. there look to be mounts similar to the proclip that mount on the A pillar but the prob would be for the car charger to reach over unless you can get a custom made charger routed in the dash and the A pillar which would be SICK :p

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the nice thing about the ProClip is that it mounts to the bezel around the vents, not the vent louvers themselves. I'd be worried about anything that clips to the actual vent other than an air freshener.

I like the idea of a dash mount, so long as it doesn't put holes or sticky gunk on the dash. Unfortunately, you lost me at "the A pillar", but I'll go look that up. Though, I don't like dash covers, either, so that might not be an option anyway.

When I saw the GPS mount that comes with the package (it was in a car I test drove, but the GPS itself was in the glovebox), I thought to myself that it would be super cool if that was a universal phone holder/charger. Too bad it was just GPS. :(

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
The A Pillar mount would be something like this

http://www.brodit.com/images/804356-4.jpg

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

Definitely good in theory but I probably wouldn't like the A-pillar setup due to an already somewhat think A-pillar, (adding the wind deflectors although tinted they add to the thickness) just seems great till you consider the potential for blocking the view depending on exactly where it is mounted.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Funny thing, I bought an In Yer Face clip holder before I got the car. It's basically a gooseneck with a phone clamp on one end and a heavy dut spring clip on the other. All it requires is a flat spot to clip it to. Unfortunately, there's no flat spot in the car. Blast you, stylish Italian design!

I'll probably end up with a Nav-Mat sooner or later. It's kind of like a bean bag chair for your phone.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm leaning more and more toward the ProClip option. The holder I have works ok for my phone (LG Optimus T), thought it was designed and bought for a different phone (Treo 600). They don't have a custom holder for the Optimus, just a universal one. I'll probably grab the mount and try it out. Whatever I do, I'll be sure to take pics and share them here somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I'm leaning more and more toward the ProClip option. The holder I have works ok for my phone (LG Optimus T), thought it was designed and bought for a different phone (Treo 600). They don't have a custom holder for the Optimus, just a universal one. I'll probably grab the mount and try it out. Whatever I do, I'll be sure to take pics and share them here somewhere.

I looked at that and my only issues are the blocking of the vents and the radio with my phone, the HTC EVO 3D is a rather large phone and I really see no good options something isn't rather blocked with exception to the suggestion I made to mount with the 15in floor (or seat frame rather) mounted option. :(

I have a generic that I think I will try to work with and make my own setup, if I ever find the time to do so I will post some pics.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts