Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does your Fiat 500 feel at 60 MPH & when Passing other cars on the Hwy?! Can you overtake cars with ease, or is your Fiat wanting to - but can't quite get the gumption to get past the larger SUV's, BMW's and even dare I say, Mini's? Oh my!!!

Here in Oregon - folks drive snail-slow. :confused: (they're confused at best my forum sports cars enthusiasts).

I commute a bit every day to Coach clients on I-5. The posted speed limit is 65 MPH...and get this - 85% of drivers are creeping along @ maybe 55...pathetic indeed.

If I get a Fiat - I just want to be able to have the confidence that the car will respond to my needs of speed when passing because God knows I have to do that alot! Thanks in advance. Dan :eek:

ps: here's a picture of my MGB - just for fun!

·
Registered
175 Posts
In Atlanta if you are not driving 75 miles per hour on the highways people will run you over. I have no problems passing cars doing that speed and can easily cruse at 80 miles per hour. So don't be afraid of the little 500 on the highways.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Took mine on a 100 mile trip down the Thruway yesterday. Seemed to pass OK if you give it some revs, especially on the 55mph sections, but the car had 20 miles on it at the start of the journey so I didn't do that too often.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My three hour test drive revealed that at 75 or so i downshifted to 4th and pasted cars without any major problems... But u need to rev it out...

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's what James May said when driving a diesel 500; a small Fiat is supposed to have a petrol engine that you rev until the valves pop out and start dancing on the hood, and then you shift.

If you look at a dyno chart, peak HP doesn't come until 6,250 RPM.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Its's fine at 70-80 mph. It reacts, like a larger car. No problem. I drive on the highway every day to work.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Just picked up mine a few hours ago, love it.
as im driving back home on the highway i had to stomp on the brakes while trying to change lanes to avoid hitting the guy in front of me and it scared the **** out of me that i started laughing the weight transfer caused the back to almost come out on me, not used to this with my GTI. but fun over all :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, this thing makes a GTI look like a boat! I tapped the brakes to set the lights off, and it felt like I stomped on them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No problem going over 60 here either. I have a $460 ticket as proof :eek:

Next time someone asks me how fast my Fiat goes I going to show them my ticket...

Chris

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you're over 3000RPM the 500 has no issues getting a move on. I drive between 60 and 80 mph on average and it seems pretty happy at 100 mph too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you were cruising at 100 MPH, - nice. Tell me - how long did you drive at that speed RobR? I'm a cop! (not really). LOL!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
im having fun with mine, and utilizing my own engine break in methods. although there is a back draw to driving my 95miles young fiat HARD, its the smell coming out of the engine :p

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
'how does it feel at 60mph on the highway?' I don't know. I'm usually driving 70+!!! :p

so at 70, it feels JUST FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
How does your Fiat 500 feel at 60 MPH & when Passing other cars on the Hwy?! Can you overtake cars with ease, or is your Fiat wanting to - but can't quite get the gumption to get past the larger SUV's, BMW's and even dare I say, Mini's? Oh my!!!

Here in Oregon - folks drive snail-slow. :confused: (they're confused at best my forum sports cars enthusiasts).

I commute a bit every day to Coach clients on I-5. The posted speed limit is 65 MPH...and get this - 85% of drivers are creeping along @ maybe 55...pathetic indeed.

If I get a Fiat - I just want to be able to have the confidence that the car will respond to my needs of speed when passing because God knows I have to do that alot! Thanks in advance. Dan :eek:

ps: here's a picture of my MGB - just for fun!
I rented a 500 with an automatic transmission (that's all they had). I drove on both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. The case had enough power for me. You might want to rent one yourself for an extended test drive. I posted a thread "Extended Test Drive" . Check it out.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
211 Posts
thats the key u need to keep it past 3k rpm.....hit 100 today no problem, cruised at 85 and could pass without any issue, its not my 5.0, but its fine..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts